The "Suuuuuuuuuuh" Thread

Nexus

LOL, you have GOT to be kidding me. Sanders was the best running back ever, so youre telling me a dlineman, who isnt in the top 10 ever...yet is better than arguably the best running back to ever play the game? You do realize barry sanders averaged 5.6 yards per carry, right? You do realize that the stadium only sold out because of sanders. He also led the lions to the nfc championship game in 1991. I love Suh but the detroit fans are getting ridiculous, its painfully obvious that we have a lot of bandwagoner fans who only started watching since Suh got drafted. Suh is HELPING the lions get to greatness but there are other people that are causing it as well, mainly mayhew. But it is also a mix of Suh, Schwartz, MATTHEW STAFFORD being healthy, pettigrew and scheffler make a damn nice TE combo, a tad bit of best, our lb pickups this offseason, corey williams etc. Whats funny is that jemele hill has ALWAYS been a lions hater and doesnt exactly think rationally

First of all, I don't think many would argue that Suh's body of work at this point is more impressive than Barry Sanders'. But I think you underestimate the value of a dominating DT, and overestimate the value of a highlight reel runs. Barry Sanders was magic on the field. Easily the most elusive RB ever in the history of the NFL. But he didn't really raise the level of football in much in the city of Detroit during his 11 years with the Lions. How many times did they make the playoffs during that 11 years? Granted, it wasn't Barry Sanders' fault. The Lions never built a team around him. But it looks like they're building a team around Suh. A dominating violent defense. And the fans love it. Suh won't ever have the highlights of Barry Sanders. Won't ever. But that's the nature of his position. That's why you can name 40 NFL RBs--more than there are teams--but probably can't name 15 starting interior linemen on D. But every week in the NFL the team facing Detroit spends hundreds of hours watching film and gameplanning for Suh. And Lions fans and Husker fans are both loving it. I know I am.

ESPN Monday Night crew to Roddy White: STFU and settle it on the field.

Damn straight.

For those that didn't see it, I thought there would be plenty of Suh-trashing but it was almost across the board against the Falcons' player. His whining to the media was a bigger issue than anything Suh may or may not have said.

A QB (Dilfer), a WR (Chris Carter), a coach (Ditka), a LB (Tim Jackson) and a hockey player (Matt Barnaby) were fired up calling out Roddy for airing it in public instead of on the field or to Suh's face. The only remote dissent was the college bball analyst who said Suh had a rep' for being "dirty".

ESPN Monday Night crew to Roddy White: STFU and settle it on the field.

Damn straight.

For those that didn't see it, I thought there would be plenty of Suh-trashing but it was almost across the board against the Falcons' player. His whining to the media was a bigger issue than anything Suh may or may not have said.

A QB (Dilfer), a WR (Chris Carter), a coach (Ditka), a LB (Tim Jackson) and a hockey player (Matt Barnaby) were fired up calling out Roddy for airing it in public instead of on the field or to Suh's face. The only remote dissent was the college bball analyst who said Suh had a rep' for being "dirty".

I also failed to see someone kicking Ryan while he was on the ground as White claims. I'm not sure I buy his story. Even if true I don't think it's a big deal.

Avril (kicking Ryan's feet): "Get him off the field."

A little mean spirited but, Ha ha! Come on. It's not like Ryan was really injured or anything. Ryan knew he was coming out of the game for at least one play, maybe more. Ryan was just taking his sweet time getting off the field to give his backup some time to strap his chinstrap on.

LOL, you have GOT to be kidding me. Sanders was the best running back ever, so youre telling me a dlineman, who isnt in the top 10 ever...yet is better than arguably the best running back to ever play the game? You do realize barry sanders averaged 5.6 yards per carry, right? You do realize that the stadium only sold out because of sanders. He also led the lions to the nfc championship game in 1991. I love Suh but the detroit fans are getting ridiculous, its painfully obvious that we have a lot of bandwagoner fans who only started watching since Suh got drafted. Suh is HELPING the lions get to greatness but there are other people that are causing it as well, mainly mayhew. But it is also a mix of Suh, Schwartz, MATTHEW STAFFORD being healthy, pettigrew and scheffler make a damn nice TE combo, a tad bit of best, our lb pickups this offseason, corey williams etc. Whats funny is that jemele hill has ALWAYS been a lions hater and doesnt exactly think rationally

First of all, I don't think many would argue that Suh's body of work at this point is more impressive than Barry Sanders'. But I think you underestimate the value of a dominating DT, and overestimate the value of a highlight reel runs. Barry Sanders was magic on the field. Easily the most elusive RB ever in the history of the NFL. But he didn't really raise the level of football in much in the city of Detroit during his 11 years with the Lions. How many times did they make the playoffs during that 11 years? Granted, it wasn't Barry Sanders' fault. The Lions never built a team around him. But it looks like they're building a team around Suh. A dominating violent defense. And the fans love it. Suh won't ever have the highlights of Barry Sanders. Won't ever. But that's the nature of his position. That's why you can name 40 NFL RBs--more than there are teams--but probably can't name 15 starting interior linemen on D. But every week in the NFL the team facing Detroit spends hundreds of hours watching film and gameplanning for Suh. And Lions fans and Husker fans are both loving it. I know I am.

You make an interesting point; however, it's hard to make that comparison due to different staff and decision making. Also back in Sander's time the gap between NFL talent and college talent was higher due to the college game now being much more like the NFL. How often did you see guys like Sam Bradford, Josh Freeman, Cam Newton, Matthew Stafford, etc starting their rookie season? You didn't. So a rebuilding team has more options now then in the early/mid/late 90's. You can build through draft and free agency quickly these days.