The "Suuuuuuuuuuh" Thread

Nexus

LOL, you have GOT to be kidding me. Sanders was the best running back ever, so youre telling me a dlineman, who isnt in the top 10 ever...yet is better than arguably the best running back to ever play the game? You do realize barry sanders averaged 5.6 yards per carry, right? You do realize that the stadium only sold out because of sanders. He also led the lions to the nfc championship game in 1991. I love Suh but the detroit fans are getting ridiculous, its painfully obvious that we have a lot of bandwagoner fans who only started watching since Suh got drafted. Suh is HELPING the lions get to greatness but there are other people that are causing it as well, mainly mayhew. But it is also a mix of Suh, Schwartz, MATTHEW STAFFORD being healthy, pettigrew and scheffler make a damn nice TE combo, a tad bit of best, our lb pickups this offseason, corey williams etc. Whats funny is that jemele hill has ALWAYS been a lions hater and doesnt exactly think rationally

First of all, I don't think many would argue that Suh's body of work at this point is more impressive than Barry Sanders'. But I think you underestimate the value of a dominating DT, and overestimate the value of a highlight reel runs. Barry Sanders was magic on the field. Easily the most elusive RB ever in the history of the NFL. But he didn't really raise the level of football in much in the city of Detroit during his 11 years with the Lions. How many times did they make the playoffs during that 11 years? Granted, it wasn't Barry Sanders' fault. The Lions never built a team around him. But it looks like they're building a team around Suh. A dominating violent defense. And the fans love it. Suh won't ever have the highlights of Barry Sanders. Won't ever. But that's the nature of his position. That's why you can name 40 NFL RBs--more than there are teams--but probably can't name 15 starting interior linemen on D. But every week in the NFL the team facing Detroit spends hundreds of hours watching film and gameplanning for Suh. And Lions fans and Husker fans are both loving it. I know I am.

I think you're severely underestimating the lions dline and overestimating Suh. Is Suh a beast? Yes, he is but Vanden Bosch and Corey Williams are studs as well. You could argue that corey williams is a top 10 DT and the past rushers that Suh has around him are insanely fast. Let me ask you this, would Suh be playing as good as he is right now if he didnt have the amazing d-line around him? Schwartz added Williams, Vanden Bosch and Suh at the same time. So he built the unit collectively and not just off of one player. Suh has great defensive players around him that takes the pressure off of him to make plays, Sanders never had that. The best talent Sanders ever had around him was in 94. Scott Mitchell was the qb and went over 3,000 yards that year (choked in the playoff game), we had Herman Moore, Brett Periiman and Johnnie Morton as WR's, and Lomas Brown and Glover on the OL (Glover wasnt a pro bowler yet tho, that would occur in 1996). That year, he averaged 5.7 yards per carry and had 1883 rushing yards and 2336 yards from scrimmage. So he was pretty good when he had help. Also, inn 97 Scott Mitchell threw or over 3000 yards, we had two good TEs in Pete Mezelars and David sloan with Herman Moor (this was his last productive year) and johnnie morton. He only had Glover has a pro bowl center that year and this was when Sanders had 335 attemps, 2,053 yards, averaged 6.1 yards per carry, averaged 120 rushing yards per game.

In conclusion, Schwartz didnt build around Suh, he got all these players at the same time (with the exception of avril, who was the only player on the dline from the matt millen era.) Suh is a great player but hes still getting too much credit. Its been a collective efffort and it helps tat he has corey williams and vanden boschh playing beside him wit fast pass rushers like avril and lawrence jackson.

Suh requested to meet with Goodell about all of the flags he draws for the way he plays.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7171482/ndamukong-suh-detroit-lions-meet-roger-goodell-own-request

Something I found a little disturbing from the article:

One thing Schwartz didn't mind talking about was a headline on NFL.com this week previewing the Lions-Broncos game as a Good vs. Evil encounter. The article included a picture of Suh and Broncos quarterback Tim Tebow.

Suh is a monster and the NFL is having to readjust its rules in order to keep the BEAST from snarfing opposing QB's.

http://www.foxnews.c...l-commissioner/

Suh had to meet with NFL officials to have a pow wow on their fines for his domination of the league.

I dont even remember Reggie White having this kind of effect on the league , Suh is a superman playing with boys.

Do you think Ndamukong is too rough or that the league is now populated with weenie boy QB's ?

It's not even Suh. The NFL is legitimately trying to make the game safer and get thug attitudes out of the game. The thing is, that isn't Suh at all. He has become the unfortunate poster-child for something he is not even close to being. I can't begin to express how disappointed I am that this has happened.

So Suh spins a couple of QBs around a little before taking them down. If the NFL really wants to set their tone, they should find some of those safeties that love to blindside receivers in the helmet as they go to catch a ball, or guys that revel in hitting QBs high and close to the head. Suh gets all this controversy for some incredibly stupid things like shoving a guy into the ground from behind, or a very slow takedown of I forget which QB. Must've been a very soft and gentle landing for the guy, though.