Green is Starting

huKSer

Link

Well, we are undefeated this year with him starting. :dunno

skeptical-hippo-1.jpg

I'm a huge fan of the skeptical hippo Willie. That guy really wears his heart on his sleeve.

I think I'm going to lose 10 days of life per zone-read-Cody-Green call today. It's just like Lee running that play last year over...and over...and over...

Plain and simple......Cody Green can QB......SUPRISE

I projected all spring and summer and fall that Green would START....yes, it was before I saw how special Taylor was/is...and by no means would I say that I would rather have Green instead of Taylor.

BUT... Cody can QB if Watson puts him in the right situation. He was NOT brought in here to run the zone-read...not his strength. He is a I-formation, drop-back passer, who can move well enough to avoid the rush at times. He is a POWER running QB who can run draws and QB leads/powers.

He fumbles, yes....but some are becuase of the "mesh"....which, he hasn't gotten the reps in the "read" because he was #2-#3 for most of fall and early season. This doesn't happen over night. Hell, the HS teams that run the "zone", with a mesh, begin working qb's in 6th grade to prepare them for their jr-sr. year.

If Watson calls the type of game that suits Green, he will succeed. He threw the ball pretty well at ISU and managed the team well... 1 fumble on "mesh", which probably was as much Rex as Cody.

Watson trying to run zone-read with Cody is like TO trying to turn Tommie Frazier into a pro-style QB.... Play to the kids strength and the reasons we recruited him.

I projected all spring and summer and fall that Green would START....yes, it was before I saw how special Taylor was/is...and by no means would I say that I would rather have Green instead of Taylor.

BUT... Cody can QB if Watson puts him in the right situation. He was NOT brought in here to run the zone-read...not his strength. He is a I-formation, drop-back passer, who can move well enough to avoid the rush at times. He is a POWER running QB who can run draws and QB leads/powers.

He fumbles, yes....but some are becuase of the "mesh"....which, he hasn't gotten the reps in the "read" because he was #2-#3 for most of fall and early season. This doesn't happen over night. Hell, the HS teams that run the "zone", with a mesh, begin working qb's in 6th grade to prepare them for their jr-sr. year.

If Watson calls the type of game that suits Green, he will succeed. He threw the ball pretty well at ISU and managed the team well... 1 fumble on "mesh", which probably was as much Rex as Cody.

Watson trying to run zone-read with Cody is like TO trying to turn Tommie Frazier into a pro-style QB.... Play to the kids strength and the reasons we recruited him.

I agree with most of what you have said. However, there has been nothing to prove that Watson will call a game that plays to CG's strengths. In fact it appears that Watson will call plays that exploit his weaknesses. Its a joke. We all know what we are going to see out there today, there is no use in trying to think something different is going to magically appear. Zone-reads with CG will be the recipe and it will be the recipe of disaster. This game is going to be ugly.

I agree, but I don't have enough confidence in Watson to pull his head out of his rear and do this.

Billdozer and BIGRED:

Unfortunately, I also AGREE with your assessments. I just wanted to throw out the fact that I think most of the "blame" is on Watson , not Cody. Cody is getting a horrible rep., due to the fact that our OC isn't putting him in good situations.

With that said, I am with you guys on this one. I have NO reason to think that Watson will change up anything, thus, my confidence level isn't very high..

but, I will yell my butt off anyway.

Go Big Red

I'm still on the Cody Green bandwagon...I just don't think he's suited to running so many damn zone reads. We need to line up in the ace sets, i-formation and go straight at the Buffs. Let Green hit some intermediate passes (10-15 yards) and don't make him throw horizontally. Get him in a rhythm throwing down the field, over the middle.

Most of all, the coaches just need to show Green that they believe in him. Come out and call a great game and let Cody do everything he can to win the game for us.

Out patterns and short passes are definitely just about the only passes I'd feel comfortable with him doing but throwing the ball over the middle is probably the last thing I want to see him do.