UPDATED: Beebe not in Lincoln... Will hand over death threat e-mails to authorities

Nexus

UPDATE:

Big 12 Conference administrators did not send any representatives to Friday's Nebraska-Colorado football game in Lincoln because the league feared for their safety, commissioner Dan Beebe confirmed to the Journal Star on Friday night.

Nebraska fans flooded the Big 12 office with negative e-mails and voice messages this week, some of which Beebe said were threatening. Those messages will be turned over to authorities, he said.

Beebe himself received more than 2,000 e-mails from Nebraska fans after Saturday's game at Texas A&M, when fans and coaches were upset with the officiating in Nebraska's 9-6 loss.

"There were many that were very, very vile, vulgar, disgusting messages, and a lot to administrative assistants and people who don't deserve any of this," Beebe said. "I mean, I'm a big boy, I can take it."

Beebe said a person in the NFL security field, whom he's previously consulted on other matters, advised the Big 12 to steer clear of Lincoln.

"He said we had to take this stuff seriously until we figure out what's going on," Beebe said. "It took us a long time -- of course, it's a holiday week -- to sort through all of those and figure out which ones were threatening, and we're going to turn them over to the authorities and contact the people who left the messages, if we can figure out who they are.

"A lot of them, we can read their numbers. One person was silly enough to put in an e-mail, ‘Are you dead yet? You should be packing a gun.'"

Of the voice mails to Beebe, one said, "If I see you on the street, I'm going to hit you in the head with a bottle and stab you," he said. "Somebody posted something on my daughter's Facebook that was derogatory. Somebody else called and acted like they were impersonating an officer, and said that they have my daughter, and she was unresponsive and they had to take her to the hospital."

Nebraska athletic director Tom Osborne said he wished not to respond to Beebe's comments.

"They got whatever they got, and they decided not to come," Osborne said. "That's OK. I don't have anything to say about that."

Is Osborne bothered by Nebraska fans sending the messages that Beebe described?

"I've said all I'm going to say. I've had all kinds of e-mails over the years. It's not a problem."

Nebraska, in its final season as a member of the Big 12, clinched the North Division championship with its 45-17 victory against Colorado. But with no Big 12 representatives on hand, there was no trophy presentation in the locker room.

Beebe said allegations from fans and media over a possible conspiracy to keep Nebraska from winning the Big 12 title have no merit.

"If there were a conspiracy, and if officials were involved, it would be easy to have a team lose just about every game possible," Beebe said. "That's a silly notion. Fans don't always think through things clearly. They have emotions on their sleeve."

Of the Texas A&M game, when Nebraska was flagged 16 times and Texas A&M two, Beebe said he had an outside consultant -- a former NFL official -- review the game.

"He thought it was a fairly officiated game," Beebe said, declining to name the person.

Beebe said the messages he received from Nebraska fans are from a small minority, and not representative of what he called one of the best fan bases in the country.

"I want to say -- and I want this clear -- my experience with Nebraska and their fan base and their administrations has been tremendous," Beebe said. "I'm sorry that we're losing such an outstanding institution. I've had a great experience with Chancellor (Harvey) Perlman, and I appreciate what he's done on this whole issue, and what Tom Osborne and Bo Pelini have done about how they want the program to be conducted."

Beebe and other Big 12 office administrators will be on hand when Nebraska plays the South Division champion in the title game Dec. 4 in Arlington, Texas.

LINK

Shatel's twitter:

Osborne: Beebe told him Big 12 wasn't at game to hand out North trophy because "they didn't feel safe'' after week of mail from NU fans.

LINK

I'm sure Beebe already has his hands full consoling the Horns

on their wreck of a football season.

Will he use the same excuse when we take the Big 12 championship in Dallas?

He can run but he can't hide.....

I think this tells all of us what level of personal courage,

honor, and integrity our dear soon-to-be former Big 12 Commissioner has.

I knew "Beebe" rhymes with "baby" but I didn't know it also rhymes with "pu****".

I'm glad he wasn't there. He would have been booed, and it would have looked bad for us. The press are looking to spin anything into bad blood between the Big XII and Nebraska. A hailstorm of boos for Beebe would have been just what they wanted.

While that's a plausible assumption, it's also just as plausible for the media to still spin it negatively against Nebraska for making Beebe/Big 12 feeling unsafe to attend a game where we're known for being the "classiest fans" in college football.

I guess it's a lose/lose situation as far as how the media can spin this scenario.

My link

Big 12 Commissioner Dan Beebe did not attend Friday’s game in Lincoln.

In fact, the Big 12 had no representatives present to honor Nebraska with a Big 12 North trophy after Nebraska's 45-17 victory over Colorado clinched the north title.

Why not?

“They didn’t think it would be safe to send somebody up,” Nebraska athletic director Tom Osborne said, referencing some “nasty” e-mails the Big 12 said it had received from Nebraska fans. “That’s the word I got.”

Osborne added: “You can call Beebe and ask him.”

Any time I hear the "Why don't you call him and ask him?" type thing, especially from Osborne, I get the sense that something fishy is going on.

I'm glad he wasn't there. He would have been booed, and it would have looked bad for us. The press are looking to spin anything into bad blood between the Big XII and Nebraska. A hailstorm of boos for Beebe would have been just what they wanted.

As much as I think the move was classless by the B12 you are probably right about this.