The Truth Behind The Taylor Quitting Stories

Ya i know what you mean. I'm a student in Lincoln now and have met a few of the players a couple times and they're real chill. I was watching the game with my friend who lived with T Mart yesterday. I asked him about him again and he didn't say much other than the walk-on story and that he was just an a-hole to everybody. He also said that Eric Martin was about as smart as a box of rocks and that he thought cohabitation meant masturbation, and that he didn't know what a cinder block was! For anybody who knows, are the rumors about Carnes pushing for the job next year true? I honestly didn't think he'd ever see the field.

The bolded part is spot on. I heard a story about Eric Martin signing a poster for some benefit in Lincoln; he used a black sharpie. Some of you may not get why that is a justification for me saying is isn't the brightest bulb, but he signed the poster on the black border around the poster and didn't understand why it was a big deal.

TMart is his biggest fan. TMart likes TMart.

To answer your question, I have heard great things about Carnes. His teammates say he is like a Michael Vick. Which is very high praise.

Who cares if Martin isn't the brightest? A good friend who lived on Prince's floor last year said he was a really nice guy, but not exactly the sharpest crayon in the box. I think we would all agree Prince is doing alright for himself.

I hope Taylor stays but if he doesn't it will be hard to keep Carnes off the field.

I don't know much about evaluating talent but looking at his tape from HS, this kid can run and throw on the run with accuracy. Speed and can throw on the run. I don't think the current QB's throw with much any accuracy.

All I can say is, Taylor gives me the same feeling I had about Tommie Frazier when I watched him play as a freshman -- he is something special and you can foresee great things happening over the next few years. If he transfers, make no mistake, it will be a HUGE loss.

It would be a MONSTER loss. He's "the" improvement over last year's disaster.

I agree ...... I know it is a team sport but as soon as he went down we went back to 2009 (maybe not that bad bad a huge drop off).

It sure is easy looking back and only remembering the good stuff. How did TMart do against SDSU and Texas? In fact against Missouri and even though injured, A&M? I am sure that Pelini isn't going to put up with much more of this crap if the rumors are true. To be honest with you, I'm starting to look at him a bit different myself.

It sure is easy looking back and only remembering the good stuff. How did TMart do against SDSU and Texas? In fact against Missouri and even though injured, A&M? I am sure that Pelini isn't going to put up with much more of this crap if the rumors are true. To be honest with you, I'm starting to look at him a bit different myself.

:yeah I really do trust the coaches to sort this thing out (either way)... ultimately, we're just rodeo clowns.

:yeah I really do trust the coaches to sort this thing out (either way)... ultimately, we're just rodeo clowns.

agreed, they made the right call by starting a freshman, the've consistanly been good in situations similar to this (if the rumors are true) see. the Castile situation Q was a great back and a lot of guys thought he woudl be better than Helu but he was a cancer on the team and had to go.

ultimately, we're just rodeo clowns

???

...putting on our own show, pulling attention away from what's really going on.

(let's review last year, with all the season's venom directed towards Zac Lee, stupid coaches, and his (unknown) busted up elbow, shall we?!)

this is all a hoot, but like I said, I trust the coaches... if anyone is tasked with truly knowing what's best for the team, it's them.

okay, that was a little snotty, but god, we're trashing this kid in this thread...

• Fire 1

You know, maybe we should look at that Taylor Martinez is 19-20 years old. What kid at that age isn't arrogant and disrespectful? its what separates at teenager from an adult, right? Among other things.

I think we should give Taylor a break, let him grow up as an adult, I'm the sure the coaching staff, other players, his former coaches, and family are shaping him and breaking down those arrogant and disrespectful traits.

• Fire 2

the kid is a "prima-dona" nobody likes him better than himself. Which for QB's is not always a bad thing.

The problem with him texting or calling his dad at halftime at A-M is that is illegal! Bo was pissed because this is a violation. Plain and simple!

The NCAA is very very careful with players or coaches having any outside contact once the game starts! Vegas does set a "halftime" line on games. They want nothing to do with a player contacting anyone and I mean anyone at halftime!

i think he acts like a 5 year old but I will give him the benefit of the doubt. He has always acted "disconnected" with things on the sideline and his teammates!

I do hope he stays and I think he will.

Spot on with the bolded part. Comment regarding the italicised part. Have you ever talked to the kid? Have you ever heard him talk? This kid has quit the team twice now. Unless TMart decides he wants to act like he is old enough to drive and his dad finally realizes that he should stay out of this issue I could care less if he comes back.

You know, maybe we should look at that Taylor Martinez is 19-20 years old. What kid at that age isn't arrogant and disrespectful? its what separates at teenager from an adult, right? Among other things.

I think we should give Taylor a break, let him grow up as an adult, I'm the sure the coaching staff, other players, his former coaches, and family are shaping him and breaking down those arrogant and disrespectful traits.

At 19-20 I was neither arrogant nor disrespectful, but that was just the way I was raised.

At 19-20 I was neither arrogant nor disrespectful, but that was just the way I was raised.

i suspect next season things will shake out or shape up with TM.....kids are different now, but football players need to be football players or they can become just fans of the game! chuckleshuffle

I remember when I got on here after the Western Kentucky game telling a story of how a friend of mine lived on the same floor with Martinez and said he was disrespectful and arrogant, telling walk-ons that they didn't even belong on the team. Man did I get ripped for that. The rumors of him wanting to quit the team last summer were true. Coaches haven't liked his attitude from the beginning. He's imo a great player who could turn out to be the best at Nebraska, and I really respect what he did for his dad and family, but he's a jerk of a person.

I wonder if Tommie Frazier was this arrogant as a Freshman. Oh yeah HE WAS. I remember hearing a story from one of my wife's friends when she was in Lincoln and a guy was hitting on her. After she rejected him and walked away, he said "don't you know who I am? I am Tommie Frazier!" True story. I also do not remember Tommie being a team player when he had his blood clot issues...

I do hope this nonsense about Taylor are just rumors. Why on earth would he quit the team? I don't think he would be a starter with another team with as much backing talent for him. If he is even considering quitting the team, I wish he would do it now.

Frost & Crouch weren't very popular either. But the internet hadn't bloomed yet and 10,000 people a day couldn't crucify them yet. They'll never know how lucky they were.

Jesus, the amount of sh#t Frost took was bad. Unreal. What made it worse too was after the ASU debacle, Frazier was going to the media saying Frost doesn't run this well, he should pitch earlier, etc. For a guy that lost twice in his career at a school he took more crap than Lord, Dailey and Lee combined.

I remember when I got on here after the Western Kentucky game telling a story of how a friend of mine lived on the same floor with Martinez and said he was disrespectful and arrogant, telling walk-ons that they didn't even belong on the team. Man did I get ripped for that. The rumors of him wanting to quit the team last summer were true. Coaches haven't liked his attitude from the beginning. He's imo a great player who could turn out to be the best at Nebraska, and I really respect what he did for his dad and family, but he's a jerk of a person.

People ripped you for saying that because it was gossip. I don't care if it was true or not, it was still gossip.

Granted, this is a message board, but I'd much rather talk about football than act out the internet version of "Mean Girls."

I am not saying that the following article clears this subject up. We don't know what's going through TM's mind. But with this article, there is at least room for debate concerning this. Is Watson telling the truth that Martinez is interested in the game on the sideline and many of you are off-based? I can't answer that, but we need to keep an open mind and give the kid the benefit of the doubt. Draw your own conclusion.

Whether Martinez or Green takes snaps, NU has a plan

By BRIAN CHRISTOPHERSON / Lincoln Journal Star | Posted: Tuesday, November 30, 2010 11:40 pm

Last year Zac Lee was playing with a torn flexor tendon in his throwing arm. This year Taylor Martinez has a beat-up right ankle and a sore toe.

Grab an excuse if you wish heading into the Big 12 Championship. Just know Shawn Watson isn't joining you in that line.

"Just part of the game," Nebraska's offensive coordinator said Tuesday. "Every season there's adversity. Usually the adversity that comes up for a coach and a team is injuries. It's how you manage them and how you handle them that counts.

"I've always believed this: You have to tweak yourself to manage wins. We've been able to do that. Sometimes it hasn't been romantic or pretty, but we've found a way to do it."

And sometimes finding a way means having two sets of plans. So it is this week as Nebraska prepares to meet Oklahoma on Saturday.

Husker coaches were still unsure on Tuesday about who will start at quarterback, just as they very well could be come Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, maybe even the greater part of Saturday.

Asked if there was some set time that coaches wanted to know whether it would be Taylor Martinez or Cody Green starting in the season's biggest game, Bo Pelini said: "What time does the game start?"

Point taken.

"We'll do whatever is necessary," Watson said. "Bo and I are on the same page. We build our plans. Both guys can equally do what we want to get done in a plan. We always have Plan A, and Plan B always is ready. Always."

But what's it going to take for the redshirt freshman Martinez to prove to coaches he can be Plan A against Oklahoma?

Ever since Martinez injured his ankle in the second quarter of the Missouri game, people have been putting percentages on the quarterback. He's 80 percent, no, maybe he's 85 percent. ...

Then against Texas A&M, he reinjured his ankle and suffered a turf toe injury that had his left foot in a walking boot during most of Monday's practice.

So what does Martinez need to show coaches when the boot is off?

"He needs to be able to run the offense," Watson said. "You see it on film. You see his movement. You'll know if he can."

Martinez did not play against Colorado, the offensive reins handed over to the sophomore Green.

But even when Martinez is on the sideline he's put under the microscope.

Some have wondered why he doesn't wear a headset on the sidelines as much as Green and Lee do when they're not in the game.

Watson said Martinez is just doing what is asked of him.

"Sometimes, what I've done with him is I've asked him to just watch the game," Watson said. "And then I always talk to him. Usually the first guy I do talk to his him, and then after that I'll talk with Cody ... and ask him what he's seen. Try to keep his mind clear so he can see it and make sure he's seeing the things he needs to see as a quarterback from that perspective."

Watson said any perception that Martinez seems uninterested on the sideline would be off base.

"No, that's not Taylor's demeanor," Watson said. "That's not who he is. That's wrong of them to say that. That's being overly critical of Taylor."

With Martinez on the sideline against Colorado, Green made the most of his opportunity, completing 10 of 13 passes for two touchdowns. Just as important, no interceptions.

Green was called in to replace Lee for a series in last year's Big 12 championship game. The drive started at Nebraska's own 1-yard-line. Green threw only one pass and it was nearly picked off.

At times last year, Watson said Green got a little "nervous in the service."

But the coach thinks more experience has calmed the quarterback heading into this year's championship game.

"He's a totally different player. I think you can see every time he walks out on the field, his demeanor has changed," Watson said. "I thought he managed a really good game this past week. He really did a nice job in the passing game. We didn't ask him to do a lot, but he was pretty on target with everything he did."

But Watson knows this week is a different animal than a home game against Colorado.

A big stage awaits. It's the kind of stage where a quarterback can really prove his worth.

It's Nebraska-Oklahoma. Winner takes home a big trophy and bigger memory.

"You feel it in your preparation, your week's work," Watson said. "There's a championship at the end. That's what makes it special. There's electricity that's in the air."

Reach Brian Christopherson at bchristopherson@journalstar.com or 402-473-7439.