New Offensive Coordinator? Who would it be?

ladyhawke

I think he can thank his lucky stars for Joe Ganz in 2008 also.

Or maybe Joe should thank Watson (and Callahan) for developing a great offense for Joe to be plugged into and have success.

Actually Joe can thank Sam Keller for getting hurt and letting the guy who really should have been our starter all along get his opportunity maybe?

Maybe, but not definitely. Keller was having a damn fine season in his own right before he got hurt, and when Joe came in Bill changed the offense to "let's sling the ball all over the place and put up gaudy numbers, maybe it will save my job". Joe played good but not great at the end of the '07 season, none of us could say for sure if he deserved to be the starter or not.

Either way, he was a system quarterback, and a damn fine one at that.

I think he can thank his lucky stars for Joe Ganz in 2008 also.

Or maybe Joe should thank Watson (and Callahan) for developing a great offense for Joe to be plugged into and have success.

Actually Joe can thank Sam Keller for getting hurt and letting the guy who really should have been our starter all along get his opportunity maybe?

Either way, he was a system quarterback, and a damn fine one at that.

Yes. Totally agree with you there.

i agree that some of these names are funking weak... we are becoming very relevant why not go after someone who wants to be here has the rep can recruit and can see eye to eye with bo..... i know it sounds like a lot but really when you think of it there are a ton of good guys out there.....

the main thing is a guy who is established.. not ready for any on the job learning guy..... we dont need to take a further step back at this point

The problem is any coordinator who is relevant and established at a major school takes the next step - as a head coach somewhere.

I don't care how much tradition we have or how much press we get. Finding a good offensive coordinator (if it comes to that) will probably have to come from a smaller school, taking a gamble on a coordinator from a bigger school who has struggled, or a very good offensive position coach that you decide to promote.

If Bo wanted Frost on his staff he could have hired from day 1. Frost was hanging around the NU offices when everything was going down and Bo passed on him. Sorry hiring a guy with zero experience in calling plays or coming up with a game plan would be plan stupid. I don't care if he has ties to the program.

Holgerson isn't leaving OSU until he gets a Head Coaching offer.

As far as Beck goes when was the last time he actually controlled an offense? Directional Missouri State in the 80's?

LSU's offense stinks that guy would be terrible as well.

I think we should take DNA samples from some of the offensive masterminds we have on this board. Take the samples to some crazy scientists and have some make us a "Super" OC. We would be unstoppable!

If Shawn Watson were to get the boot who would you predict would take his place? My husband and I were wondering about that and he wondered how Scott Frost would do in that position. Scott is at Oregon right now. Would he be a valid candidate?

-ladyhawke~

Frost is not a candidate.

He hasn't even been an Offensive Coordinator yet!

I think we should give Watson one more year. We've had a chance in every game this year; the only reason we lost to Texas was because of our lack of execution. We all know why we lost to A&M. If we're going to fire anyone, it should be Ted Gilmore.

i agree, in my perfect world we'd hire frost to replace gilmore and let him gain some experience in hopes of him eventually taking over as the OC..

Pelini had never been a defensive coordinator when we hired him in 2003.

Coach Pelini had way more experience than Frost does at this point in his career.

Pelini had been in the National Football League for 9 years before he was hired to be Defensive Coordinator at Nebraska.

Under some legendary defensive minds to boot. It was Monte Kiffin who saw Pelini's potential when he recommended him to Frank Solich since Monte was a friend and competitor of Bo's while in the NFL.

Frost is not a candidate.

He hasn't even been an Offensive Coordinator yet!

That wasn't the question. The question was WOULD HE BE a valid candidate. :) The issue I have with Watson is the inconsistency. When we play with such passion and power like we've played against Missouri and Oklahoma State and even against Colorado I have to ask Where was that same passion/power when we played Texas or Iowa State or Texas A & M? I just don't get it. Same coach-same kids? What happened? I'm serious-could someone explain to me why we're so inconsistent? Were these just 'off games' for us? Was it just not having our first string quarterback playing? I believed that was it for awhile, but not after what I saw Friday night. So why the inconsistency?

Thanks,

-ladyhawke~

P.S. I think that Bo (and Dr. Tom) will make the decision as to whether we need to switch OC's. I posted the question out of curiosity, not because I was trying to start a 'Let's get rid of Watson' thread.