Who's really our BEST Quarterback?

NEBRASKA's BEST QB  

187 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Any chance we could all pay closer attention to KC's avatar and drop this?

There's actually another thread for that :)

Taylor is an introvert. He is not a rah rah guy type leader. It is hard for a freshman that just basically started being a QB last fall, to be a leader. I think we take him different than he is. We read too much into his actions and his personality, that really none of us know about. I have never heard a negative coming from the team members about him. He does not crave the limelight, stays in the shadows and does the best he can.

I actually have heard from a couple of the players within the last 4-5 weeks that he not exactly a rockstar around the locker room. He's not every well liked by many. Then again you don't have to be liked to be respected - and when it comes to his position as QB respect is far more important. At this time he doesn't really have that either (this coming from players...not my opinion)

On a side note - they told me Rex is probably one of the most liked guys on the team...which I can easily see.

All of this discussion on Martinez has brought back an old question I've had for several years. I've always wondered if Bobby Newcombe had redshirted and actually practiced the QB position rather than playing the slot his true freshman year whether or not Crouch would have unseated him? Martinez was in the same boat. How much different would he have looked this past season had he actually been practicing at the QB position his redshirt year rather than playing receiver? One would hope that Martinez does improve from last year to this year. It's rare a player peaks his freshman year.

All of this discussion on Martinez has brought back an old question I've had for several years. I've always wondered if Bobby Newcombe had redshirted and actually practiced the QB position rather than playing the slot his true freshman year whether or not Crouch would have unseated him? Martinez was in the same boat. How much different would he have looked this past season had he actually been practicing at the QB position his redshirt year rather than playing receiver? One would hope that Martinez does improve from last year to this year. It's rare a player peaks his freshman year.

I don't know how much being the scout team QB brings to the table. Most of the time you are concentrating on immitating opposing teams' QB's and learning opponent's playbooks, not learning to execute your own playbook.

Martinez did play QB on the scout team throughout his redshirt year, so it's not like he'd been written off as a quarterback - I think he was just fast enough they used him as a WR to pressure our DBs more.

http://huskerextra.com/sports/football/article_5a7c8da1-a2fd-5cce-b238-b233f5c0623d.html

I think what would have helped Martinez more is if he had been coached better as a QB - from a fundamentals standpoint. I have no idea how the QB's are coached - but my guess is Taylor didn't get a lot of 1 on 1 time.

Any chance we could all pay closer attention to KC's avatar and drop this?

There's actually another thread for that :)

Taylor is an introvert. He is not a rah rah guy type leader. It is hard for a freshman that just basically started being a QB last fall, to be a leader. I think we take him different than he is. We read too much into his actions and his personality, that really none of us know about. I have never heard a negative coming from the team members about him. He does not crave the limelight, stays in the shadows and does the best he can.

I actually have heard from a couple of the players within the last 4-5 weeks that he not exactly a rockstar around the locker room. He's not every well liked by many. Then again you don't have to be liked to be respected - and when it comes to his position as QB respect is far more important. At this time he doesn't really have that either (this coming from players...not my opinion)

On a side note - they told me Rex is probably one of the most liked guys on the team...which I can easily see.

Well known for quite awhile. Known to have huge ego, not very approachable, not very outgoing. You're right you don't have to be liked to be respected but it makes things easier and I think has a long way to go before he is respected.

I have never seen a direct quote, all I have heard are those comments being made on the forums. I have a friend that is a friend of his last highschool coach, who says he is not arrogant, not the type to seek attention. Shy, quiet and somewhat awkward in people skills. And normally shoulders the blame for shortcomings and beats himself up regarding them. No gray areas, it is either right or wrong.

You guys seem to know the names of the people saying he is disliked, possibly he is not outgoing and therefore does not make close friends.

Before I believe he is this hated/disliked figure, I would want to see some real evidence of it.

I have learned what is said on message boards is very seldom the exact situation.

I just feel if this was anywhere else, and the kid put up efforts like he did, most would be very happy he is coming back. Every year we seem to look for the non starter to be the starter, look for any and all reasons for the incumbant to be removed. The year before it was Green, and last year the same. This year it will be Carnes or someone else. Martinez seems to be taking the whole blame for our failure's last year. He spit the bit at times no question, but there were many reasons this team failed, both on the offensive side and defensive side.

Newcombe wouldn't have been unseated if he hadn't injured his knee. He was never the same after that. Too bad, because he was just ridiculously explosive his freshman year, and early on as a sophomore before the injury.

I have never seen a direct quote, all I have heard are those comments being made on the forums. I have a friend that is a friend of his last highschool coach, who says he is not arrogant, not the type to seek attention. Shy, quiet and somewhat awkward in people skills. And normally shoulders the blame for shortcomings and beats himself up regarding them. No gray areas, it is either right or wrong.

You guys seem to know the names of the people saying he is disliked, possibly he is not outgoing and therefore does not make close friends.

Before I believe he is this hated/disliked figure, I would want to see some real evidence of it.

I have learned what is said on message boards is very seldom the exact situation.

I just feel if this was anywhere else, and the kid put up efforts like he did, most would be very happy he is coming back. Every year we seem to look for the non starter to be the starter, look for any and all reasons for the incumbant to be removed. The year before it was Green, and last year the same. This year it will be Carnes or someone else. Martinez seems to be taking the whole blame for our failure's last year. He spit the bit at times no question, but there were many reasons this team failed, both on the offensive side and defensive side.

Ya I have a friend who is a friend of his old junior high coach who said the same things.

:laughpound Sorry, just had to.

Do you think any of us would throw a player under the bus like that? Do you think you would ever find a direct quote published from a player that is demoralizing to the team and/or an individual? It just doesn't happen. Not when they are on the team anyway. TMZ doesn't cover the Huskers, and even the Herald would probably avoid printing something like that.

We're all happy he's coming back. We'd be in a world of hurt if he wasn't. He's at least proven he can compete. Whether or not he can figure out what to do when a team loads the box and sends 5-6 every play (which every team next year will do) is yet to be seen. I hope he can. At this point though it seems like we are in an identical situation to last year - with a proven starter that has enough shortcomings to make some of us doubt his future.

I don't know how much being the scout team QB brings to the table. Most of the time you are concentrating on immitating opposing teams' QB's and learning opponent's playbooks, not learning to execute your own playbook.

Martinez did play QB on the scout team throughout his redshirt year, so it's not like he'd been written off as a quarterback - I think he was just fast enough they used him as a WR to pressure our DBs more.

http://huskerextra.com/sports/football/article_5a7c8da1-a2fd-5cce-b238-b233f5c0623d.html

I think what would have helped Martinez more is if he had been coached better as a QB - from a fundamentals standpoint. I have no idea how the QB's are coached - but my guess is Taylor didn't get a lot of 1 on 1 time.

In 2010, we led the nation in fumbles. Some/a lot of those fumbles fall on Martinez's shoulder. I would hope that at least this problem would have been addressed his redshirt year had he been playing the scout QB full time. I would also believe that his decision making would have been a lot better and sharper had he been the full time QB on the scout team. If he'd have been better in these two areas, the 2010 season more than likely would have looked a lot different.

Maybe - it's all hypothetical. A large percentage of his fumbles came on the zone-read exchange...which he wouldn't have done any of on the scout team last year. When he was decisive about what he was going to do this year, he didn't fumble nearly as often (though he still had some obviously). Designed qb runs, design hand-offs...he was ok w/ those. Read the lineback you let through the hole, decide if he'll take the running back or you in a split second while the ball isn't secured by either you or the running back, attempt to tuck, run, etc. Timing just wasn't good for him. Since we didn't run that offense at the time, scout team wouldn't have helped him out much. It would have helped some though, just not sure how different 2010 would have looked. I doubt "a lot"

More reason to believe in Carnes.

1. With the adjusted playbook and terminology, Martinez's experience advantage has been reduced, if not negated. Carnes is here for the spring, so he has pretty even footing as far as learning the offense. Bubba has only the fall to get up to speed.

2. Martinez is not great at throwing when he is not set. The few times he threw on the run, his accuracy was terrible. Kind of negates the advantage his mobility brings in the roll out game. The roll out game will much better suit Carnes.

3. Martinez is not good diagnosing plays; he never read the zone read, and he rarely got past his first progression. Not a natural in the passing game.

4. Confidence won't be a problem for Carnes. Martinez has shown he can get rattled pretty good.

Granted, I'm making some assumptions for Carnes, and of course he will have growing pains / freshmen moments. I still like his chances.

• Fire 1

Chris, the quick caveats to that are:

1. Experience doesn't just equate to knowledge of the system. It's also a factor of getting accustomed to D1 game speed, so Martinez and Green already have a huge advantage over Carnes. Bubba will be here pretty much as soon as he graduates. My understanding is he'll be here for the voluntary summer drills, then make his decision after the draft.

2. Marty was pretty bad throwing on the run last year (at times), but we have no idea if rollouts suit Carnes any better. I believe there were glimpses of Martinez throwing from a rollout in his high school film, just like Carnes and Starling and Turner and Cody and Spano, and just about every one of the QBs we have right now. That's not to say that Marty will be better - we have no reason to believe he will be until he shows us he is - but we have even less reason to believe that Carnes can do it in D1 ball.

3. Martinez didn't look a lot like a natural in the passing game, you're right, but he's a year ahead of Carnes in reading those defenses. Carnes has a lot of space to make up before he's better at this level than Martinez. And Green may just be the best of all. Even if Carnes beats Martinez, he may not beat Green here.

4. There is no way we can tell how Carnes will react to D1 ball. Martinez did get rattled, but very few D1 QBs will NOT get rattled when their line is playing as porous as our line played the latter half of 2010.

I agree that you're making assumptions. You may be right, though, and it's worth reading. Keep the assumptions coming! We have a LONG way to go before September.

• Fire 1

2. Marty was pretty bad throwing on the run last year (at times), but we have no idea if rollouts suit Carnes any better. I believe there were glimpses of Martinez throwing from a rollout in his high school film, just like Carnes and Starling and Turner and Cody and Spano, and just about every one of the QBs we have right now.

This could be one to pull up the film on.

I'm sure there is footage of Taylor doing that in HS, but there is footage of Carnes making big time throws on the run. I don't think you saw the same kind of ball from Taylor. Could be wrong.