Who's really our BEST Quarterback?

NEBRASKA's BEST QB  

187 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Here's the problem. People hitch their wagon to one QB or another, largely for arbitrary reasons (especially in the cases of players who have yet to play in live games), and when they don't pan out we retaliate by throwing them under the bus. Or when they do pan out, the other guy(s) get thrown under the bus. We pick sides, this QB over that QB, when they're all on the same team.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - I don't care who starts. I want the best player. Last year that was Marty. If it's Marty this year, more power to him. If it's Cody, if it's Turner or Carnes or Bubba, more power to them. I'll drive the Kody Spano bandwagon if the guy moves our offense, and I won't hate on Marty or Cody or anyone who sits behind the starter.

Everyone hitching their wagon to any specific player at this point in the year, especially those who haven't played, are spinning tires in the mud.

• Fire 1

Here's the problem. People hitch their wagon to one QB or another, largely for arbitrary reasons (especially in the cases of players who have yet to play in live games), and when they don't pan out we retaliate by throwing them under the bus. Or when they do pan out, the other guy(s) get thrown under the bus. We pick sides, this QB over that QB, when they're all on the same team.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - I don't care who starts. I want the best player. Last year that was Marty. If it's Marty this year, more power to him. If it's Cody, if it's Turner or Carnes or Bubba, more power to them. I'll drive the Kody Spano bandwagon if the guy moves our offense, and I won't hate on Marty or Cody or anyone who sits behind the starter.

Everyone hitching their wagon to any specific player at this point in the year, especially those who haven't played, are spinning tires in the mud.

100% agree. I have just stated that MY OPINION is it will eventually be Carnes. Nothing more than a hunch. If I'm right then I am and you will not see me throwing it around. If I'm wrong then so be it. The only true thing I hope happens is the BEST QB is playing, whether Carnes, TM, etc.

However, I would also hope the coaches are doing the same thing. I just have this sick feeling in my stomach that Bo and the coaches might also just stick with TM to try and prove a point. I hope this is not the case and the best QB ends up playing. If they play the best QB I just believe Carnes will end up being that guy.

• Fire 1

It just amazes me that the 2nd string or lower QB is always the favorite.

I was a huge supporter of Lee last year, but heard the rumblings of Martinez during winter work outs. STill felt Lee would be the starter up until the week before, when I was told Martinez would start.

I have backed him the whole year and still do. Not because he is a favorite, but he is the starter until proven different.

I hope all are as good as some think, but watching high school tapes and saying the kid is better than a kid who literally ran through all up until hurt are grasping at straws for some reason I think.

I want the best player period, and I think the staff has a far better eye for it than any on here.

Personally I hope he starts as we need to have a QB that playes more than one year, experience pays off I think. He is the most experienced we have and showed he would do what ever he could to do the job even though he was hurt. WE have had some very gutty QB's lately, I think he is one of them that will make us proud down the road.

• Fire 1

It just amazes me that the 2nd string or lower QB is always the favorite.

I was a huge supporter of Lee last year, but heard the rumblings of Martinez during winter work outs. STill felt Lee would be the starter up until the week before, when I was told Martinez would start.

I have backed him the whole year and still do. Not because he is a favorite, but he is the starter until proven different.

I hope all are as good as some think, but watching high school tapes and saying the kid is better than a kid who literally ran through all up until hurt are grasping at straws for some reason I think.

I want the best player period, and I think the staff has a far better eye for it than any on here.

Personally I hope he starts as we need to have a QB that playes more than one year, experience pays off I think. He is the most experienced we have and showed he would do what ever he could to do the job even though he was hurt. WE have had some very gutty QB's lately, I think he is one of them that will make us proud down the road.

I would think that TM is only the starter if he starts that game. From what this coaching staff has always preached is the best player will get the starts/playing time. If they are serious about this, then after each game there should be no starter until proven in practice. You should have to earn your spot every week. So, I wouldn't say TM is the starter until proven otherwise. He was the starter in our last game, but if the staff is true to what they say, then all positions are up for grabs 24/7/365.

• Fire 1

This reminds me of discussions fans had back in 2003 when everyone was falling all over themselves for Joe Dailey because of what they had "heard" he could do. Only two of them have any experience at all, so the logical thing would be to rank them #1 and #2 respectively. It doesn't mean one of the young guns won't eventually be better.

Joe Dailey is a terrible comparison to Brion Carnes. Plus Brion's got the pedigree bleeding red through his veins...

This reminds me of discussions fans had back in 2003 when everyone was falling all over themselves for Joe Dailey because of what they had "heard" he could do. Only two of them have any experience at all, so the logical thing would be to rank them #1 and #2 respectively. It doesn't mean one of the young guns won't eventually be better.

Joe Dailey is a terrible comparison to Brion Carnes. Plus Brion's got the pedigree bleeding red through his veins...

There are not enough ways to say it, we know NOTHING about Carnes until he plays. And enough with the "Tommie' nephew" stuff, it mean's even less.

• Fire 1

There are not enough ways to say it, we know NOTHING about Carnes until he plays. And enough with the "Tommie' nephew" stuff, it mean's even less.

The "Tommie's nephew" stuff is funny--that's why I said it. My buddy writes for the paper and we've been able to sit in on a few drills with Brion and the other qb's. Great pocket presence, scrambles well, throws a 5-yard out on a dime and can follow-that-up with a 50-yard bomb. I bet he makes a run at the position, although it's almost impossible to think that he will play against that schedule over a guy with a year under-his-belt. T-mart better figure out that whole "pocket presence" thing (unfortunately that's the last image I have in my mind from the 2010 season)...

Great thread by cornfed, though. Spurned up some passionate posts. Things were starting to get a bit mundane around here...

• Fire 1

If any other team out there had a freshman All American at QB, they'd think the future is extremely bright. Nebraska fans on the other hand debate whether or not he's even good enough to start the next season. Even the great Tommie Frazier didn't play lights out all the time. The difference being he had a better supporting cast than Martinez. One of the younger QB's might end up being a better QB than Martinez, but none of them are even close to him right now.

Amen.

Frazier had MASSIVE amounts of more talent aroung him as a freshman (or soph, or junior or senior) than Tmart could even dream about. As huge as that difference is, it's even a lot bigger at the coaching level (TO vs SW). But so what? Let's rip Tmart apart anyway.

Imo a lot of NU fans are just simply blind to what a difference maker can do to help an offense at qb. Tmart was simply incredible until inuries (bad ankle & turf toe) took their toll. A run 1st freshman qb with those injuries had him looking like sh*t so the "best fans in college football" rip him to shreads at every opportunity. Especially here at HuskerBoard. Heh....just the way it is.

I think there's at most a 1% chance someone is electrifying enough to beat him out next year. I know nobody wants to believe it but there's a big, big difference between Big10/XII cfb and high school. I know, I know....."That can't be true because I saw the HS tapes!", blah, blah.....".

Oh well, what's the use. Carry on!

• Fire 1

Imo a lot of NU fans are just simply blind to what a difference maker can do to help an offense at qb. Tmart was simply incredible until inuries (bad ankle & turf toe) took their toll. A run 1st freshman qb with those injuries had him looking like sh*t so the "best fans in college football" rip him to shreads at every opportunity. Especially here at HuskerBoard. Heh....just the way it is.

I think there's at most a 1% chance someone is electrifying enough to beat him out next year.

The way you stick up for Martinez when anyone dares to question the guys overall ability to play QB is so admirable. :wub:

I mean come on people did you not see enough during the JV tour to realize that he was simply “incredible”. His going in the tank along with the offense was all on his injury, the OL play and are ineffective OC calling plays. He was a first year starter for crying out loud, give him a break. :sarcasm

Hold on those excuses sound very familiar. <_<

Didn’t people get killed for saying the same crap about Zac Lee after the 2009 season once it came out that during the Sun Belt tour he injured his arm? If I’m not mistaken he was a first year starter, had Watson calling the plays and the 2009 OL was worse then the 2010 OL.

But those excuses didn’t have any merit then because it was people sticking up for Zac Lee and not sticking up for “T-Magic”. :ahhhhhhhh

Don’t get me wrong I thought some of the stuff Martinez did was awesome, but I am not blinded by his run first ability enough to not see that he has many shortcomings. I also don’t see why it is so crazy to imagine another QB unseating him as the starting QB. It happens all the time in College Football so it can definitely happen at NU next year. :dunno

:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

• Fire 1

Frankly, I tired of "electrifying" about halfway through the season. I'd welcome mundane, boring, but consistent and productive any day over "flash" and "bang". Martinez is a difference maker no doubt - but what happens when he can't make a difference? - which we saw all too often last year.

Don't take my posts as ripping on Martinez. But facts are facts. The guy struggles making decisions. Maybe the offseason will cure that. Maybe he'll learn to go through his progressions, throw the ball away, etc. Maybe he'll improve his footwork. Maybe he'll become an actual QB. If he can he'll be spectactular and I'll be a very happy Husker fan. But, what we know thus far though is that he's got a very limited skillset, and while what he has is spectacular what he lacks is a liability.

• Fire 1