Who's really our BEST Quarterback?

NEBRASKA's BEST QB  

187 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

At the end of the year. . people who were in practice watching things thought perhaps Carnes was the best all around QB on the team, but they didn't discount that Martinez being hurt and not getting along with Watson was really hurting his progress. I would see TM being number 1 with BC a close 2. Turner will be 3 by the end of summer, Green 4 and Bubba if he even makes it here will be a bust unless he learns how to actually properly hold a football to be able to pass. I'll put Kellogg ahead of him.

While you're watching that highlight tape of Carnes, think about how Western Kentucky was his best offer before DONU snagged him the last days of recruiting last season.

As for Bubba, hearing that the all star game playbook had to be dumbed down for him was all I needed to know. If he can't figure out an already dumbed down all star game playbook, what makes you think he is bright enough to run DONU's offense? But who am I kidding? He's our next Carl Crawford. I wish the kid luck.

Whine all you want about Martinez, but he was great prior to getting hurt. His passing motion needs TONS of work as it is way too slow to be effective on a consistent basis. He also needs to learn how to hold onto the ball and when to throw the ball out of bounds.

Green seems like a really nice kid who isn't good enough to play QB at an upper echelon D-1 school. He's a poor passer and slow footed.

Nobody knows what Turner and Spano can bring. Spano wasn't highly regarded out of high school and can't stay healthy. Turner wasn't recruited as a QB except by DONU.

Our QBs all have major flaws. Hopefully a few of them can develop into good college quarterbacks. I have my doubts that any of them will be good enough to get us into the NC.

You forgot learn how to execute the Zone Read, if that what we are doing next year. He seems to predetermine what he is going to do, without every reading anything going on with the Defense.

While you're watching that highlight tape of Carnes, think about how Western Kentucky was his best offer before DONU snagged him the last days of recruiting last season.

According to Rivals Carnes actually had offers from Clemson, Georgia, West Virginia, South Florida, Cincinnati, and Louisville. Western Kentucky was his other choice because of early PT and the Head Coach.

FWIW: Martinez had no other offers besides Nebraska according to Rivals.

• Fire 1

Until these kids play a snap in D-1 ball, it is all speculation. Being a bada$$ in high school and going into college ball is like being a bada$$ in college and going pro. Two totally different worlds. The only ones we know about for sure are Martinez and Green, and I just don't hink Cody will ever be THE MAN. Sorry Cody, best of luck to you. Should propably switch to tide end. If not, he needs to become an absolutely amazing passer, which he is NOT now. That would be the only way he would have a chance of passing Martinez up. That being said, Martinez with a year on the books, and his ability to run, I just see him getting better and better as long as he learns to play smarter ball. As long as he stays healthy and gets to be a better passer, which he most definitly will, he will be our starter and I predict being right back in the Heisman race again next year. I just don't see Cody ever passing Taylor up. As for Carnes, Starling and the others, we will see soon enough, then we will have a million more predictions and arguments before we play our first game in the fall. That is if Bo keeps us waiting till gametime again. GBR

• Fire 1

I have been plenty critical of T-Mart, but I don't see how you could possibly put anyone else in front of him at this point without engaging in rank speculation. I like CG's calmness and poise in the pocket and the way he seems to manage the team better than T-Mart, but I think it's really stretching it to say that he is better at the QB position overall than T-Mart. As for the rest of the guys, they all have unbelievable potential and I have a feeling that one of them---possibly Carnes---may emerge as the Dennard Robinson to Martinez's Tate Forcier, but for now that is total guesswork. T-Mart has lots of things to love and would be very capable in the right scheme.

Tough poll question. I went with Martinez simply because you used the verb "is" in your posed question.

Green is a close second because of the experience factor with this offense.

However, had the poll question asked who I think will end up being the best QB, I would've said Carnes. Something tells me we'll see a lot from him in the near future.

This reminds me of discussions fans had back in 2003 when everyone was falling all over themselves for Joe Dailey because of what they had "heard" he could do. Only two of them have any experience at all, so the logical thing would be to rank them #1 and #2 respectively. It doesn't mean one of the young guns won't eventually be better.

- Taylor Martinez

(+) Speed, Acceleration, Experience, Game changing break away ability.

(-) Inaccurate at times, Pocket awareness/has trouble making plays when pocket breaks down, poor decision making, Durability

I think he is the best we have coming back b/c of his experience. He will get better as a passer he really needs to improve his accuracy, he throw the ball behind his receiver way to many times last season, he made some good throws to, he just needs to get more consistent. I'd like to see him improve his pocket awareness too, we know he has got great speed, but last season when the pocket broke down, he just wasn't very good, he didn't make as many plays as you would expect a speedy guy like that to make when pressures on. I like to see him move away from the pressure and either find an open receiver down field or take off and run with it. The play calling can help him too, get this guy out of the pocket, change the launch points more often.

- Brion Carnes

(+) Great pocket awareness, Athletic, Accurate passer.

(-) Lacks college level experience, Lacks size.

He could make a big push for PT. Especially if the offense that Beck runs resembles more of the 07 Kansas offense than the 10 Oregon offense. Seems like he is at his best when he iss improvising, his pocket awareness is impressive. Even when he is moving away from the pressure he keeps his eyes down field and finds that open receiver. You need a guy like that especially if you have an offensive line that struggles with pass blocking. Yes he lacks College level starting experience, but he was a four year starter at QB in high school, which means he has more experience starting at QB than Taylor does College and High School combined.

- Cody Green

(+) Size 6'4" 230, Good arm strength and accuracy, has some game experience under his belt

(-) Lacks explosiveness speed/quickness for the zone read option run game, skill set just does not fit the run spread offense

: I think he is a capable QB but he just doesn't fit what Nebraska is trying to run offensively. I think he could have eventually grown into a solid starting QB in Watsons WCO, but the change in philosophy doesn't fit his skill set. Now if they run more of a Kansas (Mangino) Spread he might stand a better chance.

- Bubba Starling

(+) Great Size, Superior running skills(acceleration/speed/explosiveness/physicality), Ability to make people miss, Arm Strength

(-) raw as a passer(played in a running offense, did not throw very often, might have trouble reading defenses in the pass game)

(hope he stays a NU, but can't blame him if it opts to take the money) He would fit the running spread perfectly. And if he did stay I could see both him and Martinez getting significant PT at QB. He looks every bit as explosive as Taylor, but runs more physically and has the ability to make people miss. Most talented runner out of all the QB's on NU's roster. He has obviously got a strong arm, but just did not pass in high school, he has a ton to learn in the passing game.

- Jamal Turner:

(+) Elusiveness/change of direction/speed/explosiveness, live arm

(-) Lacks size

Very confident, he will get a crack at QB, but if Starling stays I hope they put him at the slot receiver and get him on the field next year, unless of course he is the best QB and beats everyone else out for the starting spot,

• Fire 1

You should have inlcuded the option of "Anyone who isnt th starter" because we all know that the 2nd string QB is always the better one, right?

Oh man, that guy is great! Anyone can see he's better than the starter, why can't the coaches? I hear he's tearing it up in practice! They should at least give him a chance, anyone can do better than the starter!

Anyone who remembers Beau Davis vs Texas Tech should know to never throw that line out there automatically.