Take Back Gameday

kb97

Take Back Gameday - A Nebraska Student Movement

This popped up on Facebook this week. Anyone know whats going on?

I saw this entry when I logged on and a link below it:

Take Back Gameday - A Nebraska Student Movement

Wisconsin can get something like this started and we can't? Yeah, right. Game on, Big Ten. Remember to check back tomorrow morning (4/22) to find out exactly what we're all about! In the meantime, push the like button!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMLmRNt12xI&feature=related

The Wisconsin kids 'jump around' to get the rest of the student body excited and into the game.

It will be interesting to find out what it is.

I joined it but I think as long as the stadium's rocking and the Huskers are winning, the rest takes care of itself. How about this for a tradition? Let's all be loud for four quarters! I'm tired of this back and forth squabbling between the (seemingly) two fanbases here. The older fans want to sit,be social and watch the game like they're at home. The younger fans want to drink, yell, stand up, and make the stadium hell for the opponents. That's a general view, there's exceptions in each group.

In other words, you mean the blue hairs and the people who are actually fans.

We must have the oldest freaking fan base in the world and it drives me nuts. I swear, the average age of Husker fans has got to be 74. If you intend to be quiet and sit down during the game, please buy a press box or stay home. The rest of us want to be loud and obnoxious, make it hard for the other offense to hear their own snap count, and bemoan the refs when they make ridiculous calls. This is football, not lawn bowling. It irritates me to no end when we're getting the piss pounded out of us by Texas/Washington/Oklahoma and grandma and the rest of her sewing circle are sitting there as quiet as church mice.

Hey Gertrude, just a hunch here, but perhaps sitting politely with your hands neatly folded in your lap is not going to inspire Crick to put someone on their ass on 4th and goal when we're down by ten.

• Fire 4

I don't think something good or creative will come out of this, but I've been wrong before.

We're called the greatest fans in football. Why? Because we sit down and stay quiet for the opponent, haha. I'm tired of this. You're going to a football game to be LOUD. If you're going to a college football game in an 80,000+ capacity stadium, not to mention it's Memorial Stadium and Husker Football (the biggest sport in Nebraska) and you want to be quiet, you're doing something wrong.

Well, here's the big proposal: A rally Friday nights before the game.

So we’ve piqued your curiosity. No one is quite sure what this is yet, right? Well, let us tell you. This group is an accumulation of students that got sick of waiting around for something magical to happen in our small corner of Memorial Stadium. The student sections of the east and south stadium, along with the band, have been out of sync for far too long. How many more random drunk dudes do we need yelling “Gooo Biiig Reddd” over each other? How much more time needs to be wasted trying to get the other section’s attention to start a chant? How many more cuss words need to be hurled at the band for supposedly playing over the students? It’s time to get together and put all three sections on the same page.

We’re proposing a get-together of sorts; a rally, if you will. Every Friday night this fall before home games, in that little slot of time between when you eat and when you do your weekend thing, we swarm to campus to get ready for the game the next day. It’s the chance for the students, along with the band, to figure out how to be a force in the stadium before we even get there. Completely student-led, the “rally” would be no longer than 30 minutes, but could be epically loud and symbolic. Of course, there is a basic structure to these kinds of things, but something like this has much room to evolve and grow.

Nebraska is the standard in college football. As students, we all feel personally invested in this football program. This gives us the chance to combine that extreme passion and find a way to channel it into an efficient and spine-tingling gameday effect. It also gives all of us an amazing opportunity to be the students that were at the very beginning of what could turn into a long-lasting, incredible tradition.

Got some suggestions? We’re listening. But we like the direction this is heading in and we hope you do too. This is the bare-bones framework of what we are cooking up, so stay tuned to this page as more details like location, time, etc. come to light. We have the greatest fans in college football, and now we have the chance to become the greatest student fans. It’s in our hands now, UNL. Let’s take back gameday!

Seems completely unplanned so far. VERY much a work in progress.

I hope they come up with something more. This can't hurt.

This smells just like the students who wanted to do the black out... Or prank college gameday when they came here.

They have this bright idea, then when it comes to making it actually work, they become lazy and it dies.

I just dont think this idea has any legs... Why not hold a rally on saturdays.

The student section is a bunch of drunk 18-22 year olds, do you expect things to be organized?

They cheer, they wear red and they show up on time, i think that is enough.

The problem is the time, dont you think?

Look, I have been out of college for awhile now but I dont think I would be pumped for a 30 minute rally on a Friday night after dinner.

I think it needs to be on gameday, I think it needs to be before the game and it probably needs to include booze.

Friday night 6:30 to 7:00 just sounds like a dead time, unless they rally, then all try to hit the bars together or something.

We must have the oldest freaking fan base in the world and it drives me nuts. I swear, the average age of Husker fans has got to be 74. If you intend to be quiet and sit down during the game, please buy a press box or stay home. The rest of us want to be loud and obnoxious, make it hard for the other offense to hear their own snap count, and bemoan the refs when they make ridiculous calls. This is football, not lawn bowling. It irritates me to no end when we're getting the piss pounded out of us by Texas/Washington/Oklahoma and grandma and the rest of her sewing circle are sitting there as quiet as church mice.

Hey Gertrude, just a hunch here, but perhaps sitting politely with your hands neatly folded in your lap is not going to inspire Crick to put someone on their ass on 4th and goal when we're down by ten.

I go to a few Husker basketball games every year, and we sit like three rows behind the opposing teams bench. So naturally, we'll yell things like "Who REALLY shot Joe Colombo, Frank?" when we played KSU, or we'd call Jeff Capel Kelvin Sampson all night, stupid things like that. Anyways, there is this old lady sitting two rows down and a little to the right, who turns around and glares at us all game long like we're doing something wrong. This...shockingly...actually agitates our desire to be obnoxious and distracting. It's just funny though...are we supposed to sit there silently?

The blue hairs make NU great because they've been dyed-in-the-wool fans who've done anything they can to support their beloved Huskers for literally decades.

The blue hairs make NU less of an imposing place to play then it should be because they mistakenly equate vociferous outbursts with disrespect.

You've got to take the good with the bad, just like all things in life. But I could do without the Matlock fans who think they're the guardians of "appropriate" behavior at NU games. We're yelling because we support the Huskers with all of our might. If you don't like it, well...go play whisper Bingo while you watch the game on mute.

I go to a few Husker basketball games every year, and we sit like three rows behind the opposing teams’ bench. So naturally, we'll yell things like "Who REALLY shot Joe Colombo, Frank?" when we played KSU, or we'd call Jeff Capel Kelvin Sampson all night, stupid things like that. Anyways, there is this old lady sitting two rows down and a little to the right, who turns around and glares at us all game long like we're doing something wrong. This...shockingly...actually agitates our desire to be obnoxious and distracting. It's just funny though...are we supposed to sit there silently?

The blue hairs make NU great because they've been dyed-in-the-wool fans who've done anything they can to support their beloved Huskers for literally decades.

The blue hairs make NU less of an imposing place to play then it should be because they mistakenly equate vociferous outbursts with disrespect.

You've got to take the good with the bad, just like all things in life. But I could do without the Matlock fans who think they're the guardians of "appropriate" behavior at NU games. We're yelling because we support the Huskers with all of our might. If you don't like it, well...go play whisper Bingo while you watch the game on mute.

Hey, I like Matlock.

post-5438-026571900 1303484251.jpg

I like the motivation behind this idea but I feel like it will fall flat on it's face, like another posted mentioned above.

Besides, what exactly is supposed to happen at this rally? If there is no official leadership then it's just going to be a group of awkward college students roaming around because they don't know what's going on. This could attract younger students and maybe some die-hards, but I'd rather sit in my apartment before going downtown rather than screaming at a rally.

Do these guys know the band already has prior engagements on Friday nights at Grandmother's? I doubt they'll be enthusiastic about adding something else to their list.

And lastly, this does sound eerily like the Black Hole and all those other crappy ideas that one of the students came up with. I'm not going to waste half-an-hour every Friday night for three months at some student rally. If they want this to be taken seriously it needs to be done on Saturday before the game. People already have a Friday night pre-game tradition - they drink.