ATH Devin Fuller

ADS

And the mediocracy of the QB position at notre doom continues. All DF has to do is look at the stat ESPN put up about the last 23 QB targets the last couple of years. Something like 9 transfers and 5 position changes. HINT HINT. ND will not keep DF at QB. he wouldn't even get a sniff. Seriously, all DF has to do is look at the styles of offenses between the two schools, not even close as to what his skill set fits.

Mark it now, if DF chooses NU, he will be under center before TA, and that is saying a lot because I believe TA is a hell of QB, just believe DF is that much more.

• Fire 2

Announcers also talking about how Kelly likes to "use the QB" and run zone read as part of his offense. I haven't watched a lot of ND this year but I didn't see anything like that when Kelly was at Cincy. Not sure I buy it (announcers usually like to hear themselves talk) but that was interesting...

Kelly runs his QBs in terms of the zone read and draws, but really he wants mobility to create when things break down. Honestly his offense still demands that his QBs first and foremost are strong throwers, asking his QBs to do a lot with their arms.

Maybe he's looking to move that way but, other than Hendrix - his QBs haven't done much with his feet recently (granted, these numbers include sacks):

2011: No other QBs registered rushing stats

2010: Crist & Montana combined for 61 carries for 99 yds (1.6 ypc)

2009: Pike - 31 carries for 6 yds; Collaros - 57 carries for 344 yds

2008: Pike - 56 carries for 47 yds; Collaros - 6 carries for 29 yds

2007: Mauk - 100 carries for 376 yds; Grutza - 11 carries for 44 yds

2006: Grutza - 85 carries for 246 yds

That's slightly under 200 yards PER YEAR from his QBs at Cincy and ND. Maybe he'd like to have more QBs like Hendrix and Collaros instead of Pike and Crist but 15 yards per game isn't exactly "using your QB" in my book.

I was actually trying to be fair in Kelly's case, but you made it even more clear that he loves throwers first and foremost. Good post.

Announcers also talking about how Kelly likes to "use the QB" and run zone read as part of his offense. I haven't watched a lot of ND this year but I didn't see anything like that when Kelly was at Cincy. Not sure I buy it (announcers usually like to hear themselves talk) but that was interesting...

Kelly runs his QBs in terms of the zone read and draws, but really he wants mobility to create when things break down. Honestly his offense still demands that his QBs first and foremost are strong throwers, asking his QBs to do a lot with their arms.

Maybe he's looking to move that way but, other than Hendrix - his QBs haven't done much with his feet recently (granted, these numbers include sacks):

2011: No other QBs registered rushing stats

2010: Crist & Montana combined for 61 carries for 99 yds (1.6 ypc)

2009: Pike - 31 carries for 6 yds; Collaros - 57 carries for 344 yds

2008: Pike - 56 carries for 47 yds; Collaros - 6 carries for 29 yds

2007: Mauk - 100 carries for 376 yds; Grutza - 11 carries for 44 yds

2006: Grutza - 85 carries for 246 yds

That's slightly under 200 yards PER YEAR from his QBs at Cincy and ND. Maybe he'd like to have more QBs like Hendrix and Collaros instead of Pike and Crist but 15 yards per game isn't exactly "using your QB" in my book.

Not overly fair stats as Colleras is the only one that could beat my grandma in a foot race.

Not overly fair stats as Colleras is the only one that could beat my grandma in a foot race.

Not trying to argue with anyone. Just haven't seen it on the field. Like I said, maybe he'd rather have someone more mobile but just hasn't had many of those players to work with - obviously working with a lot of players he didn't recruit at ND. I just didn't remember Cincy running their QB (or anyone, for that matter) very much.

And the mediocracy of the QB position at notre doom continues. All DF has to do is look at the stat ESPN put up about the last 23 QB targets the last couple of years. Something like 9 transfers and 5 position changes. HINT HINT. ND will not keep DF at QB. he wouldn't even get a sniff. Seriously, all DF has to do is look at the styles of offenses between the two schools, not even close as to what his skill set fits.

Mark it now, if DF chooses NU, he will be under center before TA, and that is saying a lot because I believe TA is a hell of QB, just believe DF is that much more.

You couldn't have stated this any better. To add, they'll probably go after another highly recruited, hot shot QB next year.

Personally, I wouldn't want to play for a guy that berates QB's openly and often. He has a young guy playing and shows no patience. I can't see how recruits aren't watching how this guy treats one specific position.

On the other side, Bo gets heated, but not consistently at one player/position. He also is a player's coach, those guys rave about respect for "Coach Bo". I know where I would want to go play, especially as a running QB.

ND fans are pretty sure he is theirs to lose, they say he fits the "kelly qb" perfect. Im not sure what they mean, i have always seen kelly use a more prostyle qb, mobile but not really a big run threat. Hope he does see that he would fit our system much better.

So did Gunner Kiel, and how did that work out for them. Oh yeah, he wasn't "that great of a QB" and they knew all alon they didn't have a chance with him one week after they were counting down the days til he committed.

Just watched a video interview with him at the Army AA Game check-in.

He seemed like a really nice and down-to-earth kid and I just don't know where all the Notre Dame hype comes from.

He stated that he has an official visit to Rutgers on the 20th and possibly one to UCLA on the 13th of January.

He is deciding between Arizona and ND for his last official. He seemed to be taking everything in stride and doesn't seem like a ND lean at all.

Hopefully he chooses to come to Nebraska...he's be a great fit in our offense, but good luck to him where ever he ends up.