The Bubba Starling Thread

I guess I'm not totally convinced he's going to be happy with the decision he's made...at least not until he's on the bus next Spring driving around Arkansas feeling good about himself? Does money really buy happiness? I guess you have to have it to find out? To his credit, Boras will probably get him so much money that there will be a LOT of pressure on KC to get him on the field IN KC as soon as possible, whether he's truly ready or not.

Most people would agree that $8 mil to $10 mil guaranteed will buy a certain amount of happiness for some time to come....

Money can't buy happiness. But have you ever tried to buy it with it?

All are entitled to their oppinion. I would have sent him packing the day he decided not to practice. He is only concerned with the money.

And in honesty I remember a three star defensive tackle that has meant far more to this program than this kid ever will.

He has no more value to this program currently than any other freshman coming in. Just a high pedigree supposedly.

When Martinez was coming in he was the top offensive player in the state of california, and most had very little regard for him. This kid is a baseball player first, then a football player in the state of Kansas. Just not that exciting to me.

What I keep thinking about is does Bubba want a college degree for after his Baseball career is over, or does he want the money and glory early, then possibly do college later? Personally, college would be the way to go. His stock could only rise in 4 years. He's just out of High School, and has a lot of life to experience. I'm hoping he goes to Nebraska. He needs to do what's the best for him though.

Can you name another athlete that has been given this opportunity by the University of Nebraska? If it is common, I am not aware of it. It makes our coach and program look desperate to me. Bo normally sees more clearly than this, he would see that he is being used by a family trying to get more money out of the Royals. I am glad he is not playing, but I hope it is by choice of Bo and not a concern for his injury potential.

Do you think Saban, Mack Brown, Kiffen or Jo Pa would allow this. I seriously doubt it.

Carl Crawford comes to mind, Turner Gill to a very small content(contracts were nothing like today of course) and most recently Khiry Cooper.

And all the coaches you mentioned above would definitely take this chance on an athlete of this caliber.

Any one who thinks this any type of grandstanding by the Starlings, well, :facepalm:

• Fire 1

Can you name another athlete that has been given this opportunity by the University of Nebraska? If it is common, I am not aware of it. It makes our coach and program look desperate to me. Bo normally sees more clearly than this, he would see that he is being used by a family trying to get more money out of the Royals. I am glad he is not playing, but I hope it is by choice of Bo and not a concern for his injury potential.

Do you think Saban, Mack Brown, Kiffen or Jo Pa would allow this. I seriously doubt it.

Uh, what opportunity?

And to your second question. Um, yes?

Bo is not being used at all. He's drawn his line in the sand. Until Bubba commits to playing for NU, he is just not part of the team. It's not good for Bubba's negotiating position. He's more or less an outsider.

A comparable situation is LSU's Zach Lee from last year, who was also signed away at the deadline. The difference? LSU was allowing Zach Lee to practice, and coach Miles was talking him up after a scrimmage before the Dodgers stepped in with a big offer. Lee gained leverage by going through at least the motions of being a part of the team, and the Dodgers also played the situation smartly.

Bubba's a much higher pick, but he also wants leverage, and Bo isn't letting him really have any by not letting him practice. The Royals must be all grins, because it strengthens their 'take it or leave it' position considerably.

I know you're a bit of a throwback, skersfan, and I really respect that, but I think you are reading this situation wrong. Bo isn't giving Bubba an inch of special treatment. Regardless of what Bubba or Boras may want in being able to use the school to their advantage, Bo isn't having it.

If Bo were to play into the charade, Bubba would be practicing and the Husker coaches would be talking him up and saying he's turning heads, same thing LSU coaches did for Zach Lee last year. And even that doesn't really hurt the team; they're helping out a kid they have a relationship with and recruited and made into part of the family already, a kid who just happens to have a good opportunity at hand.

But tha'ts not what Bo is doing. Beck gets asked about Bubba and pretends he doesn't even exist. Most people I see are assuming Bubba has decided not to practice. I don't think that is the case at all. I think Bo has decided, that Bubba can't practice. In what sense has Bo not already "sent him packing"? Even though Bubba has physically been in Lincoln, he may as well have been a thousand miles away.

What I keep thinking about is does Bubba want a college degree for after his Baseball career is over, or does he want the money and glory early, then possibly do college later? Personally, college would be the way to go. His stock could only rise in 4 years. He's just out of High School, and has a lot of life to experience. I'm hoping he goes to Nebraska. He needs to do what's the best for him though.

This isn't true. It's an incredible longshot for his stock to be higher in 4 years than it is today. He can go to baseball and come back to college later.