The Bubba Starling Thread

Glad its almost over too, then we wont have to deal with everyone talking about his unique decision and how this should be easy to resolve, one that very few have to make at such a young age, pro ball and millions or the college experience.

edit: cut him some slack, at 18 my head would have been spinning about all of this, and i would have made sure to take my time to make the best decision for me. He hasnt hurt the program by doing this.

MLB has their own set of rules. I don't think any of the top picks have officially signed yet. Many of the deals have to be approved by MLB so very few will be announced before 11 pm. In a way it protects teams from being held more hostage than they already are. If the 2nd pick hears he is offered less than Bubba (the 5th pick) he could go back to the team and demand more money before 11pm. Baseball also has a thing called slot but it is widely ignored. It basically says if you are picked 5th, you should receive a set amount of money. Again teams rarely follow this, but deals over slot are subject to approval. BTW, they are never overturned.

I guess I'm not totally convinced he's going to be happy with the decision he's made..

I believe that no matter which choice he takes, he will be asking himself "what would life been like if he chose the other option".

Glad its almost over too, then we wont have to deal with everyone talking about his unique decision and how this should be easy to resolve, one that very few have to make at such a young age, pro ball and millions or the college experience.

I know right. Can't wait so all we have to focus on is the Injury Thread. :corndance

MLB has their own set of rules. I don't think any of the top picks have officially signed yet. Many of the deals have to be approved by MLB so very few will be announced before 11 pm. In a way it protects teams from being held more hostage than they already are. If the 2nd pick hears he is offered less than Bubba (the 5th pick) he could go back to the team and demand more money before 11pm. Baseball also has a thing called slot but it is widely ignored. It basically says if you are picked 5th, you should receive a set amount of money. Again teams rarely follow this, but deals over slot are subject to approval. BTW, they are never overturned.

Ubber pitcher Trevor Bauer from UCLA, drafted by Arizona has signed. He was the third overall selection. The thing is Bubba can get more than Bauer because of the football possibility.

I read a report that only one of the top 5 picks have signed so far.

Bubba is going to make the choice that will make him happy. I don't believe he was using us as a bargaining chip for baseball, he was making his choice on what he thought was best in case the baseball thing didn't come through right away. I am happy the kid did what he had to do and he's making his choice to further his career. He may go baseball, he may play for the Huskers, none of us know. I wish him the best of luck in whatever he does. I'd take the money to play a sport with very little physical contact and make all the money I could playing a sport I love to play. Any of us would make that same choice given the chance. What could be better, working 6 months out of the year and making a boatload of cash while doing something you actually enjoy. Those of you calling him out for running this out for so long have no clue, it's not really in his hands right now, his agent will posture and if Bubba likes what he see's then he accepts the offer, if not, he goes to NU and gets a degree.

I think this is a very insightful post. The people that say he would be stupid to come to NU need to rethink that. There is absolutely no wrong choice here for Bubba. None whatsoever. Not even half wrong.