Anybody play with/against a Husker in high school?

I played against Tom Rathman in basketball all through Jr High and high school and in football in high school. Harry Grimminger also in football. We would get the best of them in bball every now and then but we'd get our butts kicked in football. Rathman played fullback in a wishbone set and I played linebacker. He ran over/through me numerous times. You might say we were not on extremely friendly terms with Grand Island Walnut Jr High or Grand Island HS. Rathman played basketball much the same way he played football- very physical. We actually had a bench clearing brawl in an 8th grade game in their crap hole gym. It started because Rathman pushed one of our guys, on a break away layup, into the end wall. That is my claim to fame- I went after Rathman immediately. And, when I was a senior in football, we had an altercation with a few GI team members in the lockerroom after the game. I don't believe Rathman or Grimminger were involved in that one. I loved having him as a Husker though.

Also, played basketball against Dave Hoppen of Omaha Benson when I was a Junior. My job was to do whatever it took to move him out of the paint and keep him away from the basket. It got pretty rough. I fouled out early 4th quarter but we held him below his average rebounds and scoring.

• Fire 2

Played against Chad Buller from Henderson (now Heartland Community) Also went against the youngest Kelsay (Chris I think) in Bball. I was on JV, he obviously on Varsity. They were just walking into the gym as we were warming up. Chris, in loafers, his winter coat and gym bag over his shoulder, took a two hand reverse alley oop dunk from one of their JV kids. My jaw hit the floor.

One of my classmates brother played against Frost his senior year of HS. TO and Turner Gill were in town to recruit. My buddies brother had his fifteen minutes when he ran Scott out of bounds. After the game, he said it was like trying to tackle the wall...

I played with the kelsays and quint hogrefe... its funny of the three Chris turned out the best, but was probably the the lesser of the 3 in HS. quint was CLEARLY the best in HS but never broke through.... if he would have gone there a few years later he would have played more. I played against matt davison in basketball and baseball from 3rd grade on.

Youre from Auburn huh?

I graduated from an omaha high school in 92, we played against most of those really good guys from the mid 90's. I also played basketball with Andre Woolridge in junior high. He was taller than everyone back then, never did grow much. The funny thing was, there was one guy in school who was better than Andre, but got kicked out of school.

My ex gf went to UNL during that time, she is good friends with many of those players. We would run into some of them every now and then, kind of interesting.

Played against Jay Moore, Mike Huff, Andy Kadavy, Sam Koch and probably some more. Ben Zajicek was a Senior when I was a freshman in high school at Beatrice.

Was Koch on the Seward team that won state in 2001? If so, I played him when they came out here and thumped us.

Not a husker but somewhat related. I have couple of friends that played against Danny Woodhead. I didn't get to play against him as I went to a smaller school about 10 miles away. That was probably fortunate.

I played Danny in basketball in high school. I believe I even blocked a shot of his! :P

Where are you from GSG?

Played against Jay Moore, Mike Huff, Andy Kadavy, Sam Koch and probably some more. Ben Zajicek was a Senior when I was a freshman in high school at Beatrice.

Was Koch on the Seward team that won state in 2001? If so, I played him when they came out here and thumped us.

Not a husker but somewhat related. I have couple of friends that played against Danny Woodhead. I didn't get to play against him as I went to a smaller school about 10 miles away. That was probably fortunate.

I played Danny in basketball in high school. I believe I even blocked a shot of his! :P

Where are you from GSG?

Gering

Where are you from GSG?

Gering

Ah ok, from Bluffs now I thought I had read somewhere you from from this area anyway....sorry for the thread jack. :backtotopic

I practiced pad drills at a camp with former Husker IB David Horne. That guy could lay his shoulder into you! I remember putting pads up for him during running drills and he would lay into not only the pads, but the players ha. Also, Alex Henry went to my high school at Burke and I was a senior when he was a freshman I believe.

I like these threads. It's kind of fun to see where people might be from.

My freshman year I was on the fieldgoal team and lined up across from both Dave Volk (Battle Creek) and Hochstein (Hart. CC) during their senior years. Words from my coach before we lined up to kick, "WHEN you get run over, try to fall straight back so he has to run around you!"

No kicks were blocked:)