The Walking Dead

So I got this idea.... The whole Glen fake out thing sucked. While this show does follow closely the events of the comic books, it's not verbatim. I think they writers know they have to keep Glen, Carol, Carl, and Rick alive. The rest are pretty much expendable. This of course comes into conflict with the whole lucille/ Glen/ Negan thing. So I think they do a character swap and switch the Glen story line there with someone else. - That someone else is-------------Rosita.

Rationale- Rosita is a character who plays a big role-ish int he comics. However her character has been very much undeveloped in the show. She's a throw away character that viewers have come to know as part of the original group at best. That being said, they know her as having been in a relationship with Abraham- who just announced he's going after Sasha. Killing off Rosita after Abraham ends things with her, opens up the Sasha/ Abraham romance and lets you do some really cool thing with Abraham's character dealing with grief and guilt of her death, and how that affects his new relationship with Sasha and the rest of the group.

Additionally, the death would likely have the same effect on the group without killing one of the fab four.

Hence the reason for her recent increase in screen time.

Other possibilities for swaps- Eugene, Morgan, Deanna, Spencer- other random Alexandrian.

If they want to truly piss off the masses, they will have Negan kill Daryl. Doubtful, but would be a huge moment.

I wouldn't be surprised if Glen ends up dying this season.

The writers playing the longcon of pretending to try to make us think he was dead but then doing a "cop out" bringing him back would be pretty brutal to the fanbase if they only lured us into a false sense of optimism only to have him get slaughtered later.

You only think it is pandering because you didn't like it.

Yet you personally simply consider the slower paced episoded as "bad writing". Those episodes are what make us care about the characters that end up dying. If every episode was 100mph and all the main characterd were killed off weeklu, we wouldn't care about the new characters, we wouldn't continue watching and the show would quickly end. It's about consistency and they nail that.

You seem to be building strawmen in regards to what people are actually complaining about. It isn't about Glenn surviving; it's about consistency, or rather the lack thereof.

I was fine with killing Glenn. It sucks, but was an epic way to do it where they tell his story through another throw away character. That was awesome. Making him live through that situation is basically saying "f*ck you" to any logic you could hold onto. People have gotten scratched and turned to walkers. That was a logical fail if there has ever been one.

Yup.

How about just a couple episodes earlier?:

The worst part was the very beginning, when Rick ran toward the city followed by a pack of flesh-hungry corpses, screaming: “Open the gates!” It was the same call we saw at the very end of the previous episode, when Morgan emerged from his basement.

What’s so wrong about that, you ask? When we heard it last week, everyone at home questioned just how Rick had got out of that RV and looked forward to the explanation of how he survived a nearly impossible situation.

We never found out. How did Rick escape? Pure magic, it seems. The one thing The Walking Dead is usually great about is finding inventive ways of getting itself out of the corners into which it paints itself. This time, it seems like the writers just didn’t care enough.

“OK, well, we’ll just assume he got out and can run faster than a pack of walkers carrying a few heavy guns after a very stressful day. He’s Rick, man! The audience won’t notice.”

Yeah, we noticed, and it was a really lame cop-out.

http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2015/nov/08/the-walking-dead-season-six-episode-five-now

Yup.

Strawmen? He survived a zombie attack.....tough sh#t. If that is the straw that breaks the camels back for some people, so be it.

His portion of the story isn't over, therefore he lived. Hardly a big deal or something anyone should let ruin the show for them.

Yeah, Strawmen. Like here where you say that Glenn surviving is ruining the show for some. I don't recall where anyone suggested that ruined the show for them.

Rick Grimes should be the only untouchable one. I'd be really hesitant about killing off Daryl too.

Coral should have been offed as soon as that kid started hitting puberty. The 2 year time frame makes no sense with that goofy bastard running.

I think Coral and/or Judith might be untouchable as well. Without them, Rick doesn't have much to live for.

Agree about Daryl, and probably Carol too. Their characters have so much more depth than in the novel (Daryl isn't even in it).

So I got this idea.... The whole Glen fake out thing sucked. While this show does follow closely the events of the comic books, it's not verbatim. I think they writers know they have to keep Glen, Carol, Carl, and Rick alive. The rest are pretty much expendable. This of course comes into conflict with the whole lucille/ Glen/ Negan thing. So I think they do a character swap and switch the Glen story line there with someone else. - That someone else is-------------Rosita.

Rationale- Rosita is a character who plays a big role-ish int he comics. However her character has been very much undeveloped in the show. She's a throw away character that viewers have come to know as part of the original group at best. That being said, they know her as having been in a relationship with Abraham- who just announced he's going after Sasha. Killing off Rosita after Abraham ends things with her, opens up the Sasha/ Abraham romance and lets you do some really cool thing with Abraham's character dealing with grief and guilt of her death, and how that affects his new relationship with Sasha and the rest of the group.

Additionally, the death would likely have the same effect on the group without killing one of the fab four.

Other possibilities for swaps- Eugene, Morgan, Deanna, Spencer- other random Alexandrian.

If they want to truly piss off the masses, they will have Negan kill Daryl. Doubtful, but would be a huge moment.

They should do that. Then a few episodes later reveal it was only a bad dream and bring him back. That would get everyone speculating and create controversy. Everybody wins! Brilliant!

If they're doing things for the sake of "generating buzz", then yeah, they're pandering to the lowest common denominator.

I don't hate The Walking Dead, nor do I think it's terrible. The problem with settling with it being "OK" for the most part is that television is in an incredible place with so many great shows now rivaling some of the best movies in terms of writing, directing and acting, so when something doesn't reach for that high bar it stands out. I keep watching because there aren't many other shows like it and it's a genre I like.

I'll still poke fun at the low-quality aspects of it instead of accepting it - or worse - defending it.

You know what would be really cool and generate buzz? Is if they put a 'Twilight' spin on it.

Carl becomes zombified, then has sex with Enid, and she is impregnated. She is now gravid with a human/zombie hybrid. The baby is alive but craves human flesh, so during the pregnancy Enid has to eat live flesh and organs for the baby's sustenance. But the baby grows faster than normal and to satiate it's appetite it delivers itself via C-section by eating it's own way out of the womb. Now both Enid and Carl are zombies and are happy together and their baby is half zombie but still needs to eat some human flesh to survive, so it nibbles it's own fingers and toes down to the nub because it doesn't want to eat anyone else. It is a self-harming emo zombie, and they call it 'Nibbler'. And Nibbler has the ability to fly, so it flies to the west coast looking for a cure where it crosses paths with the survivors of 'Fear the Walking Dead', who have sustained themselves by living in isolation on Alcatraz island raising chickens and growing rutabagas.

I wouldn't be surprised if Glen ends up dying this season.

The writers playing the longcon of pretending to try to make us think he was dead but then doing a "cop out" bringing him back would be pretty brutal to the fanbase if they only lured us into a false sense of optimism only to have him get slaughtered later.

My thoughts exactly.

Yet you personally simply consider the slower paced episoded as "bad writing". Those episodes are what make us care about the characters that end up dying. If every episode was 100mph and all the main characterd were killed off weeklu, we wouldn't care about the new characters, we wouldn't continue watching and the show would quickly end. It's about consistency and they nail that.

You seem to be building strawmen in regards to what people are actually complaining about. It isn't about Glenn surviving; it's about consistency, or rather the lack thereof.

I was fine with killing Glenn. It sucks, but was an epic way to do it where they tell his story through another throw away character. That was awesome. Making him live through that situation is basically saying "f*ck you" to any logic you could hold onto. People have gotten scratched and turned to walkers. That was a logical fail if there has ever been one.

Yup.

The worst part was the very beginning, when Rick ran toward the city followed by a pack of flesh-hungry corpses, screaming: “Open the gates!” It was the same call we saw at the very end of the previous episode, when Morgan emerged from his basement.

What’s so wrong about that, you ask? When we heard it last week, everyone at home questioned just how Rick had got out of that RV and looked forward to the explanation of how he survived a nearly impossible situation.

We never found out. How did Rick escape? Pure magic, it seems. The one thing The Walking Dead is usually great about is finding inventive ways of getting itself out of the corners into which it paints itself. This time, it seems like the writers just didn’t care enough.

“OK, well, we’ll just assume he got out and can run faster than a pack of walkers carrying a few heavy guns after a very stressful day. He’s Rick, man! The audience won’t notice.”

Yeah, we noticed, and it was a really lame cop-out.http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2015/nov/08/the-walking-dead-season-six-episode-five-now

Yup.

Strawmen? He survived a zombie attack.....tough sh#t. If that is the straw that breaks the camels back for some people, so be it.

His portion of the story isn't over, therefore he lived. Hardly a big deal or something anyone should let ruin the show for them.

Yeah, Strawmen. Like here where you say that Glenn surviving is ruining the show for some. I don't recall where anyone suggested that ruined the show for them.

Forgive me for taking everyone complaining about Glenn surviving as people not enjoying the story the show was telling, how silly of me. Obviously everyone is thrilled.

They should do that. Then a few episodes later reveal it was only a bad dream and bring him back. That would get everyone speculating and create controversy. Everybody wins! Brilliant!

That is sh**ty writing. You don't have to like how they did the Glenn surviving story, but that's how it went down. If you want to let it ruin this season for you go ahead. I think it was fine, have no problem with it. Their job is to write a story that will entertain people and get them talking about the show. If it pissed people off oh well, they will still watch. If they don't oh well, the buzz around it can draw in new fans etc etc. Really the biggest issue I have with the whole thing is now constantly hearing about how people didn't like it.

Anyways, so it was confirmed that the man who took Daryl hostage is Dwight. This is a big deal if you have ever read the comic. Dwight is one of Negans leading men, but he has a very different look. This was kind of an origin story that the comic never touches on, so kudos to the show. Now we know why he ends up the way he does and how he ends up wielding a crossbow.

Dwight ends up being responsible for a major character death as well, so next time we see him it could be lights out for one of the main characters. Pretty excited for the mid season finale, a lot of different ways they could go with it but the core events will remain the same and it will be a pretty bumpy episode.

Yup.

The worst part was the very beginning, when Rick ran toward the city followed by a pack of flesh-hungry corpses, screaming: Open the gates! It was the same call we saw at the very end of the previous episode, when Morgan emerged from his basement.

Whats so wrong about that, you ask? When we heard it last week, everyone at home questioned just how Rick had got out of that RV and looked forward to the explanation of how he survived a nearly impossible situation.

We never found out. How did Rick escape? Pure magic, it seems. The one thing The Walking Dead is usually great about is finding inventive ways of getting itself out of the corners into which it paints itself. This time, it seems like the writers just didnt care enough.

OK, well, well just assume he got out and can run faster than a pack of walkers carrying a few heavy guns after a very stressful day. Hes Rick, man! The audience wont notice.

Yeah, we noticed, and it was a really lame cop-out.http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2015/nov/08/the-walking-dead-season-six-episode-five-now

Yup.

Forgive me for taking everyone complaining about Glenn surviving as people not enjoying the story the show was telling, how silly of me. Obviously everyone is thrilled.

That is sh**ty writing. You don't have to like how they did the Glenn surviving story, but that's how it went down. If you want to let it ruin this season for you go ahead. I think it was fine, have no problem with it. Their job is to write a story that will entertain people and get them talking about the show. If it pissed people off oh well, they will still watch. If they don't oh well, the buzz around it can draw in new fans etc etc. Really the biggest issue I have with the whole thing is now constantly hearing about how people didn't like it.
Again with the strawmen? Did I suggest it ruined the season for me?

It seems more like anyone not offering unconditional praise for every scene in the show is ruining the season for you. Do you know one of the writers? You seem to be very defensive.

Yup.

The worst part was the very beginning, when Rick ran toward the city followed by a pack of flesh-hungry corpses, screaming: Open the gates! It was the same call we saw at the very end of the previous episode, when Morgan emerged from his basement.

Whats so wrong about that, you ask? When we heard it last week, everyone at home questioned just how Rick had got out of that RV and looked forward to the explanation of how he survived a nearly impossible situation.

We never found out. How did Rick escape? Pure magic, it seems. The one thing The Walking Dead is usually great about is finding inventive ways of getting itself out of the corners into which it paints itself. This time, it seems like the writers just didnt care enough.

OK, well, well just assume he got out and can run faster than a pack of walkers carrying a few heavy guns after a very stressful day. Hes Rick, man! The audience wont notice.

Yup.

Again with the strawmen? Did I suggest it ruined the season for me?

It seems more like anyone not offering unconditional praise for every scene in the show is ruining the season for you. Do you know one of the writers? You seem to be very defensive.

Okay

T-Dog

Laurie

Merl

Herschel

Dale

Shane

Andrea

Tyreese

Beth

The two little girls

Bob

Sophia

???

Name one of those characters who've been on the show since season 1 that are a FAN favorite?

Simply answer there is none. Fan favorites are Rick, Carol, Glenn and Daryl

Would not mind if Carol died. She sucks.

T-Dog

Laurie

Merl

Herschel

Dale

Shane

Andrea

Tyreese

Beth

The two little girls

Bob

Sophia

???

Name one of those characters who've been on the show since season 1 that are a FAN favorite?

Simply answer there is none. Fan favorites are Rick, Carol, Glenn and Daryl

Would not mind if Carol died. She sucks.

I liked Shane and Merl and Dale.