What we learned today???

- Line needs to quit pulling, and play a hat on a hat. No more of this pulling, fancy crap. Barney - enjoy your new job this offseason, whatever cushy office job they hook you up with.

- Beck, LOL. No matter how much Northwestern kept selling out to the run on the early downs, and no matter how much Taylor was incredibly accurate today, Beck showed little to no faith in Taylor on early downs until the 4th quarter. When he FINALLY did, we moved the ball consistently. This was a HORRENDOUS Northwestern defense, and yet we struggled.

- STOP WITH THE FREAKIN' OPTION. Our line cannot block for it. Our QB and RB both struggle with understanding spacing. All around, WE SUCK AT RUNNING THE OPTION. Even more, if Beck is determined to run it, STOP WITH THE SHORT SIDE OPTION YOU FRANK SOLICH WANNABE. Good lord, I wanted to kill another kitten watching that BS.

- Going in even more, where is the Diamond? We torch Ohio State with this formation, and have rarely seen it since. Um, Beck, hello? Want to try it when we are struggling?

- Ron Brown needs a reality check about whether Rex is really Superman. That kid was beat up, and running with little explosion today. But still yet, we put him out there and ran consistently with him. We recruited those 3 RBs behind Rex for a reason so when another RB got worn down, we would go to another horse in the stable. When Rex was limping, and showing little burst, that should have been a hint to Coach Brown to get him some rest. Instead, we stuck with him. I love Rex as a player as much as anybody, but that game last week sucked the life out of him, and it showed today.

- Credit to Taylor. Kid played his a** off today and you won't hear me say a SINGLE word about his effort, or his passing today. He did everything in his power to keep us in it. Respect to him for that.

- Anyone notice who had the defensive playsheet? Last week the gameplan was tremendous, and the defense showed extreme effort thanks to Bo. But just a week later Bo's defense, that he gameplanned and set up, was completely overmatched. It's a reality that our defense lacks talent, especially in our front 7 - but there is only 1 person who overlooks EVERY offer that goes out, and plans this. The buck stops with Bo about how much talent we have, and how our defense performs. If this wasn't a wakeup call to Bo that he needs to go get some absolute studs (JUCO or otherwise) who can play day 1 next season, then he needs his head examined.

- Clock management at the end was terrible. In the end, because we didn't get the onside kick, it didn't matter. However, if we had, and we only have 17 seconds remaining because of Bo's mismanagement, then I would be absolutely LIVID. Still, it's an issue because it shouldn't happen regardless.

- Ciante, I would bench you for the rest of the year for your effort on that 4th down play. I understand playing your lane if it's the 1st quarter, but in the 4th quarter on 4th and short, you take that QBs a** out and force him to make a difficult pitch instead of standing there letting him cut inside of you. That was almost as bad as watching Joe Dailey run out of bounds against USM on the final play of the game down near the goal line with the game on the line.

- Tackling, anyone want to take this defense back to basics?

- Baker, damm nice game out of you. Been waiting for that for a long time.

Probably more I forgot, but oh well. Time to drink.

Looks 100% on the money to me. Also agree.......another Beam on the rocks please.

Clock management wasn't lacking just at the end of the game. What about the end of the first quarter. Down by 7 and we let the last 30+ seconds run off the clock. Who knows what would have happened if we had run one more play.

I missed most of the game, so I can't even begin to comprehend what happened.

We lost - huh?????????!?????

Taylor went 29-of-38 for 298 yards, 2 scores, and 0 INTS - huhhhhhhhhhh???!???

What the eff? No finger pointing from me yet, I'm not even upset or anything because I missed so much of the game and it feels kinda surreal.

*this

If I didnt watch this game and saw the offensive stats I would feel the same way...

Beck is absolutely bipolar when it comes to his playcalling. Northwestern consistently put 8 guys on the line, and Beck kept thinking that Burkhead could blow past them like he's superman. Beck figured it out by late in the third quarter, but by then it was too late.

Defense got into a rhythm by the half, but I think a combination of a fresh mobile quarter back and NE's offense leaving the field so quickly left the defense tired and unmotivated.

Apparently the referees decided that holding wasn't a penalty this game. It happened on both sides, but am I to believe that Northwestern actually played a game with just, what... 1 penalty?

The offense still needs to gel, Beck needs to learn what works quicker, Bo needs to understand that his scheme doesn't work against mobile QBs, the D-line should've been playing a lot more standing up like against MSU, and the coaches need to learn that Burkhead alone will not win your games.

- Line needs to quit pulling, and play a hat on a hat. No more of this pulling, fancy crap. Barney - enjoy your new job this offseason, whatever cushy office job they hook you up with.

- Beck, LOL. No matter how much Northwestern kept selling out to the run on the early downs, and no matter how much Taylor was incredibly accurate today, Beck showed little to no faith in Taylor on early downs until the 4th quarter. When he FINALLY did, we moved the ball consistently. This was a HORRENDOUS Northwestern defense, and yet we struggled.

- STOP WITH THE FREAKIN' OPTION. Our line cannot block for it. Our QB and RB both struggle with understanding spacing. All around, WE SUCK AT RUNNING THE OPTION. Even more, if Beck is determined to run it, STOP WITH THE SHORT SIDE OPTION YOU FRANK SOLICH WANNABE. Good lord, I wanted to kill another kitten watching that BS.

- Going in even more, where is the Diamond? We torch Ohio State with this formation, and have rarely seen it since. Um, Beck, hello? Want to try it when we are struggling?

- Ron Brown needs a reality check about whether Rex is really Superman. That kid was beat up, and running with little explosion today. But still yet, we put him out there and ran consistently with him. We recruited those 3 RBs behind Rex for a reason so when another RB got worn down, we would go to another horse in the stable. When Rex was limping, and showing little burst, that should have been a hint to Coach Brown to get him some rest. Instead, we stuck with him. I love Rex as a player as much as anybody, but that game last week sucked the life out of him, and it showed today.

- Credit to Taylor. Kid played his a** off today and you won't hear me say a SINGLE word about his effort, or his passing today. He did everything in his power to keep us in it. Respect to him for that.

- Anyone notice who had the defensive playsheet? Last week the gameplan was tremendous, and the defense showed extreme effort thanks to Bo. But just a week later Bo's defense, that he gameplanned and set up, was completely overmatched. It's a reality that our defense lacks talent, especially in our front 7 - but there is only 1 person who overlooks EVERY offer that goes out, and plans this. The buck stops with Bo about how much talent we have, and how our defense performs. If this wasn't a wakeup call to Bo that he needs to go get some absolute studs (JUCO or otherwise) who can play day 1 next season, then he needs his head examined.

- Clock management at the end was terrible. In the end, because we didn't get the onside kick, it didn't matter. However, if we had, and we only have 17 seconds remaining because of Bo's mismanagement, then I would be absolutely LIVID. Still, it's an issue because it shouldn't happen regardless.

- Ciante, I would bench you for the rest of the year for your effort on that 4th down play. I understand playing your lane if it's the 1st quarter, but in the 4th quarter on 4th and short, you take that QBs a** out and force him to make a difficult pitch instead of standing there letting him cut inside of you. That was almost as bad as watching Joe Dailey run out of bounds against USM on the final play of the game down near the goal line with the game on the line.

- Tackling, anyone want to take this defense back to basics?

- Baker, damm nice game out of you. Been waiting for that for a long time.

Probably more I forgot, but oh well. Time to drink.

Throw in something about penalties, dropped passes, getting outcoached and the embarrassment of being pushed around by Northwestern and you've covered everything I thought of during the game. I, like you, was livid with the offense. They ran with a tired back on obvious running downs and passed on obvious passing downs.

I still cannot figure out by the Pelinis will not blitz the QB. Why do they continue to think they can get enough pressure on the QB with four down lineman?

We've learned nothing.

Because we are the same football team we were in 2008, 2009, 2010. That is, look like a world beater and then decidedly average, or worse, the very next week.

We lose a home game we shouldn't against an opponent with a losing record, because we show up unprepared, unfocused, and with a little bit of an inflated ego.

Basically, we're right at the status quo.

-

This x100! Everyone knew NW pass D was awful yet Beck acted like we couldn't take chances and play conservatively as if we are playing Alabama or LSU's defense. Now I know we are a rushing offense 1st and foremost but I felt the O could afford to push the field a bit more. This was probably the easiest game for their D to defend from a schematic standpoint all year. Can't we all agree once Beck decided to throw some, the O moved the ball with relative ease? I can say prior to the game that I thought we'd be able to run the ball better but once I seen they weren't gonna give our O running lanes, I knew they were ripe to pick apart through the air, it took Beck waaaaaaaay too long to figure that out.

1) The posts by Husker_x, The Duke, and BigWillie cover it all. I couldn't agree more.

2) Shortside option always kills us. STOP running this now. Replace how often you call this play with the Diamond Formation...trust me it will save your job.

3) Our D-Line can't get off a block/hold whatever. If we had some speed we couldn't get held. Please gets some guys who can make a play on the D-Line. No more giving the opposing QB half a minute to develop the play. Get some speed to get the QB on the ground. I'm ready to play 4 EMarts up front. Do we even know what a blitz is? Our D-Line has lived off of Suh's reputation last 2 years...it is embarrassing how many announcer crews actually think we have a good D-Line. If we don't return to a fast, attacking defense we cannot win big...we'll continue to have other teams move all over us as we can't get off blocks and try to arm tackle them. Not hard to get 3-4 yards every play on our style of defense.

4) TMart played a hell of a game. Week in and week out the guy has pressure in his face off the snap while the opposing QB sets up a picnic behind his O-Line. The contrast is dramatic every week.

5) Where the hell are the playmakers? Get them on the field. Teams like OU, LSU, Bama, and Oregon don't recruit playmakers to have them sit.

6) Clock management by our coaches flat out sucked.

7) Special teams...down the punt before it reaches the endzone...we whiffed big twice on that today.

8) Credit to Northwestern...I was surprised they didn't kick it to go up by six but they wanted it and knew they could move it on our weak defense.

Hey walksalone. You know that I think you are a hoot! My opinions are nothing personal, ok, just thoughts. (If I sound defensive it's not towards you-ok :) I'm just as disappointed as anyone else that we lost but our heads were in Pennsylvania-not in Lincoln. We thought we could sail right through this game so we were simply not prepared.

1. That our O line, and the offensive playcalling are on life support

>Yet they were brilliant last week. They're young, our offensive coordinator is still evolving?

2. The tackling was horrible and the D line looked pourous

>They weren't executing or consistently playing their positions. We know they CAN tackle because we saw it last week. You can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink.

3. Option to the short side of the field is asking for little or no gain'

>Yep

4. T-mart throws better rolling out of the pocket

>What a great game that young man played tonight. He was right on the money! Too bad the rest of the team didn't follow him!

5. Beck totally disregarded what worked last week, and he's not doing anything to distinguish himself from Watson

>I respectfully disagree. Last week didn't look anything like Watson would've called. There was creativity, there was spark, it was fun. We KNOW they can do it-again, consistencly is the key. I also think that our boys were more banged up than we thought. Rex shouldn't have played tonight. The kids just looked worn out. Out of focus.

6. I haven't seen this many missed holding calls in who knows how long

AMEN! My husband commented that he thinks the refs are 'welcoming' Nebraska to the B1G. The refs are letting us know that THIS is how they do it in this league.

This is my humble opinion but I still think we're in this. Michigan State has to lose against Iowa or Northwestern. We saw tonight that Northwestern isn't the 'loser' team that everyone thinks they are. They've found a new little jewel in that second string qb of theirs as well.

Northwestern was ready to play tonight and it showed-we were not.