Fans thoughts on Joe Paterno coaching on Saturday...

TheMatador

As far as McQueary goes, and according to his testimony to the grand jury, he witnessed the rape of a ten year old boy in a Penn State locker room....WHAT WAS HIS REACTION ???? He didn't know what to do, so he told his daddy what happened and asked him for advice..... WHAT A LACK OF COURAGE, DECENCY, AND MANHOOD.....I think this question should be asked of the victims and their family members...I know what their answer would be.....

I don't have a problem with McQueary up to the point where he figured out nothing was going to happen with Sandusky. I would much preferred that he go in that shower and beat the hell out of Sandusky and save the kid, but I understand his reaction. It was human to be terrified of what he had witnessed. I see freaking out, reporting it, and hanging out for a while waiting to see what those in authority did.

However, that's where my understanding of his actions ends. From that point he HAS TO do something when he sees Sandusky on campus. HAS TO. That's where he failed, IMO.

Sorry we will have to agree to disagree on this, it was a cowardly act to leave that boy with a rapist and not try to help him.

I didn't say it wasn't a cowardly act. I said I could understand how he freaked out and reacted the way he did. That is NOT condoning his behavior.

I'm in the camp of wait and see the facts before I make any judgements, but if it goes down in the direction the news seems to be heading, then make an example out of him to show that the University does not tolerate this behavior.

From what I've gathered an assistant coach approached Paterno many years ago. He reported witnessing the accused in a shower with a young boy. Joe went to his superiors to address the situation, left it in their hands, and moved on.

Given this, I don't know what to think. Obviously the act itself is despicable. Did Paterno do enough - my heart says absolutely not. He should have confronted the assistant coach. Probably should have socked him too.

But where does legality fit into this? I don't know enough to begin to comment.

But should Paterno followed up on this? Yes. Yes and Yes. And if all the allegations were true, he should have spearheaded the immediate termination and then criminal prosecution of that assistant coach. For his terrible acts. For all the boys he abused. For all of the trust he betrayed in families and friends, both of the children and the university. Joe should have put the foot down and shown that this type of behavior is completely unacceptable and will be punished most severely.

And if Joe let this happen, then he is nearly as guilty as the accused. And I hope he feels the weight of suffering from the victim's on his shoulders, knowing that he could have stopped it.

It doesn't sound like you are in a wait and see mode. You already found him guilty. Even if Joe had done investigating he would've been lied to when asking questions. Plus why should Joe believe some grad assistant over a defense coach that he has known much longer? It's like saying that a friend you had known for a very long time had done something terrible and yet some new guy comes up and tells you he did do something bad and yet you will believe the new guy? I think not. People always get a sense of something more could've been done after the fact.

This was not some new guy. This GA had been a QB for PSU. JoPa had known him for years, probably not as closely as he had known the Zandusky, but this is nowhere near the situation you described.

Paterno and McQueary need to resign immediately......or the Penn State board of directors need to fire them before Saturday. Paterno is one of the most powerful individuals at Penn State, and at his discretion. allowed his buddy, Sandusky, who Paterno knew damn well was a ChoMo, to continue allow his ChoMo buddy to remain on the Penn State campus in some type of official capacity FOR YEARS......As far as McQueary goes, and according to his testimony to the grand jury, he witnessed the rape of a ten year old boy in a Penn State locker room....WHAT WAS HIS REACTION ???? He didn't know what to do, so he told his daddy what happened and asked him for advice..... WHAT A LACK OF COURAGE, DECENCY, AND MANHOOD.....I think this question should be asked of the victims and their family members...I know what their answer would be.....

Settle down.

I can very well imagine his initial reaction. Think about it - this is something so horrific - he was probably 22-23 years old at that time - still a young adult. So he called his dad. Not unimaginable at all. Guess what, I would have probably done the same thing if I was 23 years old and saw my ex. 52 year old DC in the shower with a kid. I would be too horrified and probably not ready to take on a full grown adult with Sandusky's rep.! Think about that. This is not like he was in a mall and saw a stranger doing it. There's a lot that goes on esp. when you are employed by the Univ. worried about not wanting to be in the middle of something so horrific.

What makes McQueary so wrong now is that he didn't do anything after that and in the months/years to come. THAT's the bad part

I'm not trying to say he is innocent. Just that in this day and age people get so emotionally wrapped up that judgment has already been given before the trial. If he is found guilty i am sure the the other inmates will gladly hand out the punishment.

So inmates hand out punishment, but who fixes the molested boys? Ignoring this type of situation so it can be sorted out later only leads to more victims in this type of situation. Given JoPa's position, had he acted more diligently as opposed to just doing the bare bones minimum, it is highly likely there would be less victims.

This is my problem with throwing JoePa under the bus. For all we know, JoePa was only told by a GA that he witnessed something that could be construed as sexual in nature. I don't know that JoePa ever knew any of the elaborate details. If he didn't, I'm not sure he really even broke any moral laws. I say this even though I firmly believe that child molestation is the most heinous crime a person can commit. If JoePa was up on the stand in a trial, there's not a judge in the World that would ever allow his second hand testimony as it would be nothing more than hearsay. The most guilty one here it would seem is the GA that actually witnessed this going on. It would appear to me that he is an accomplice to a crime because he didn't notify the police of a felony. I fully understand the indictment of JoePa's superiors for covering it up, but again they were only relying on second hand information given to them by the GA. Why in the hell is the GA now coach not been arrested?

That bold sentence right there is why JoePa SHOULD be thrown under the bus. He knew that a witness told him that he had seen "something of a sexual nature" between a grown man and a boy. JoePa knew enough of the "elaborate details" to report what he saw to his superior.

Do you truly believe that Paterno did not hear the word "sex" in that conversation? That is the entirety of what McQueary came to talk to him about - seeing Sandusky raping a child.

Paterno is on the hook, as we speak, for Failure to Report and for Obstruction of Justice. It is unclear whether he is guilty of either or both, but what is absolutely clear is that he did not do everything in his power to assure that children were safe. That is completely inarguable.

I don't see how you can defend that.

I don't know how their chain of command works, but I suspect anytime one of the head coach's assistants sees something in violation they must report it to him. Then, it would be JoePa's responsibility to report it to his superiors. I'm guessing this is how a recruiting violation or something of that nature is handled.

The only reason I'm defending JoePa here is because I don't know what he knew. If he knew all of the elaborate details, he should be arrested as well. If his GA came to him distraught saying he saw something that needed to be reported, JoePa did the right thing reporting to his superiors that an assistant saw something and they should meet with the assistant to get into the details. Without knowing how little or how much he exactly knew, I can't make the call to throw him under the bus yet. If JoePa had been in the meeting with the GA and JoePa's superiors, yes he's guilty as hell.

The indictment is available on line. It doesn't appear Paterno committed a crime, but unfortunately for him this is not really about whether or not he committed a crime. It's about not reporting reasonable suspicion of a crime being committed under his watch to the civil authorities. He had an ethical and moral responsiblity to at least go to campus security. There's no valid excuse for him not to go to the proper authorities, not even the fact that he reported it to his university superiors. There's no telling how many further incidents might have been avoided if he had reported it to the cops.

Paterno and McQueary need to resign immediately......or the Penn State board of directors need to fire them before Saturday. Paterno is one of the most powerful individuals at Penn State, and at his discretion. allowed his buddy, Sandusky, who Paterno knew damn well was a ChoMo, to continue allow his ChoMo buddy to remain on the Penn State campus in some type of official capacity FOR YEARS......As far as McQueary goes, and according to his testimony to the grand jury, he witnessed the rape of a ten year old boy in a Penn State locker room....WHAT WAS HIS REACTION ???? He didn't know what to do, so he told his daddy what happened and asked him for advice..... WHAT A LACK OF COURAGE, DECENCY, AND MANHOOD.....I think this question should be asked of the victims and their family members...I know what their answer would be.....

Settle down.

I can very well imagine his initial reaction. Think about it - this is something so horrific - he was probably 22-23 years old at that time - still a young adult. So he called his dad. Not unimaginable at all. Guess what, I would have probably done the same thing if I was 23 years old and saw my ex. 52 year old DC in the shower with a kid. I would be too horrified and probably not ready to take on a full grown adult with Sandusky's rep.! Think about that. This is not like he was in a mall and saw a stranger doing it. There's a lot that goes on esp. when you are employed by the Univ. worried about not wanting to be in the middle of something so horrific.

What makes McQueary so wrong now is that he didn't do anything after that and in the months/years to come. THAT's the bad part

He was 28 when it happened and he was an ex-quarterback that had a small stint in the NFL.

Not sure if any of you have seen this or if anyone has posted it already. The DA that decided not to file charges on Sandusky in 1998 disappeared in 2005. Like completely wiped off the earth.

http://abcnews.go.co...ory?id=14905668

Most likely completely unrelated. This guy's brother committed suicide in 1996 under very similar circumstances.

Never said it was related at all. I found it interesting that the guy who lead the first round of investigation has completely disappeared. So sorry to interrupt

Settle down.

He was 28 when it happened and he was an ex-quarterback that had a small stint in the NFL.

Ok, that changes it a little then

The indictment is available on line. It doesn't appear Paterno committed a crime, but unfortunately for him this is not really about whether or not he committed a crime. It's about not reporting reasonable suspicion of a crime being committed under his watch to the civil authorities. He had an ethical and moral responsiblity to at least go to campus security. There's no valid excuse for him not to go to the proper authorities, not even the fact that he reported it to his university superiors. There's no telling how many further incidents might have been avoided if he had reported it to the cops.

He reported it his AD and Gary Schultz, who is, was in charge of Campus Police, not Security but Campus Police.