The "IT" Factor - Does Bo Have it?

Landomatic

With all of this talk about Bo and whether or not he's qualified or the right coach to get us to the next level and all of his short-coming and pros and cons, etc...I can't help but wonder if what he's missing is that intangible "IT" factor. That swagger, that savvy, that demeanor that, "when he walks in the room, everyone stands up and listens" factor. I think Bo has as much football knowledge as anybody or close enough to be great. But to get a team to that next level in big time college football, I think one has to have that "IT" factor and I'm not sure Bo has it. Another way to look at it, put Bo in the room with any of the top coaches in the country and who's the alpha dog? Answer that question honestly and it's very seldom Bo in my opinion. TO definitely has it. Solich did not have it. Calahan didn't have it. The Bobfather definitely had it. Not sure Bo has it. Thoughts?

He doesn't have it. Neither did TO early on. It can be learned but it requires intellect and savvy. He'll either figure it out soon or be exposed.

Maybe I'm too young to remember, but I thought guys like TO had it all their lives. I think Bob Soops has had it from the day he stepped on campus and still has it today. I can't remember guys like Les Miles or Nick Saban or Pete Carol or Urban Myer not having it. What I'm talking about you either have or you don't...it's not something that can really be developed much in time.

1. Twenty-two years for TO to win a National Championship.

2. Fourth year HC.

3. First year OC.

Im not saying that Bo doesnt have it in him, but I have to ask.... in those 22years before TO finally won a national championship.... how many conference championships did he have, and how many more national championships would he have had, if the team had won their bowl games?

I think the argument can be made against Bo because TO was actually competing for Championships nearly every year if not every year... Bo has lost 2 close conference championship games and is 3-1 in bowl games, Id say its too early to tell if Bo has "it" or not

Tom was known for a lot of things and toward the end of his career he had the system figured out. Early on though he was stubborn almost to a fault. He kept trying to beat Oklahoma's ground control offense with a passing/running mix game that eventually didn't work because we couldn't get the athletes to make it work. Then he changed the offense to the option and got the athletes to run it. Then by winning the Big 12 usually we had to play the Florida teams in their backyard in the Orange Bowl. Their speed was able to slow the option but their lightning fast offenses were blowing by our power defenses which were built to stop Big 8 teams. Again Osborne changed his strategy to put speed on the defense. It took him a long time to change to a 4-3 from a 5-2. That was the key to success on a national level. Better coaching meant more success which in turn helped recruiting and the cycle was begun.

In Bo we trust. Be patient, he will come thru. Recruiting has been some of our best and I expect great years to come from it.

These great recruits need to play. Burning a RS, for a few plays is an incredibly bad move IMO. Sitting on the sidelines for 2 yrs will not help recruiting future stars.

Question: Those sitting on the sidelines are freshmen, right? Just curious: How many schools in our division (D1-right) play their freshmen?

In Bo we trust. Be patient, he will come thru. Recruiting has been some of our best and I expect great years to come from it.

These great recruits need to play. Burning a RS, for a few plays is an incredibly bad move IMO. Sitting on the sidelines for 2 yrs will not help recruiting future stars.

Question: Those sitting on the sidelines are freshmen, right? Just curious: How many schools in our division (D1-right) play their freshmen?

Several team's do. Mich. had like three freshman on D yesterday.