The "Nobody" needs to be fired thread....

walksalone

Lets go get Turner Gill! He'll need a job soon, lets fire Bo and get Turner Gill!

We all know what's best for the team....if we only would have hired Turner 4 years ago right?

I should be quoting this in the board feedback forum because it is the strongest arguement I've ever heard to bring back negative rep. Why would someone want to fire a successful coach to hire one that has been unsuccessful. Bo is winning games, I hope this talk ends soon, otherwise I see history repeating itself.

I don't want anybody fired. I would like someone to explain to me why the D-Line is a full yard off the ball. It seems we're getting pushed back anyway, if we started by having the d-line crowd the line, at least we would be a yard closer to the runner to make a tackle.

I noticed that too. The only thing I could think of was the noise in the Big House. The extra space may have been an effort to avoid off-sides penalties? Or perhaps some other reason?

We've been lining up this way all year.

I don't want anybody fired. I would like someone to explain to me why the D-Line is a full yard off the ball. It seems we're getting pushed back anyway, if we started by having the d-line crowd the line, at least we would be a yard closer to the runner to make a tackle.

I noticed that too. The only thing I could think of was the noise in the Big House. The extra space may have been an effort to avoid off-sides penalties? Or perhaps some other reason?

We've been lining up this way all year.

We seemed farther off the ball Saturday than before. There was a good yard gap, maybe yard and a half.

We seemed farther off the ball Saturday than before. There was a good yard gap, maybe yard and a half.

The only explanation I have is that it was an effort to try and dictate separation from the O-line, since, the D-line is absurdly good at picking their partner and "dancing" for the entire play.

The only explanation I have is that it was an effort to try and dictate separation from the O-line, since, the D-line is absurdly good at picking their partner and "dancing" for the entire play.

This is a great observation that I think needs more discussion as this has irritated me all season. Although I will not claim to be a defensive expert, I do not see the logic in this scheme. I think it's akin to the two-gap and/or Read & React defensive philosophy.

By lining up a yard to a yard and half off the line, it gives the d-line more time to observe the play and then....ta da, react! However, by the time they're done thinking, they've been either pushed back two yards or stand straight up and perform a Vienna waltz with the o-line.

This has worked in the past, however I think the only reason it worked so well was that we had Beast Mode Suh who wasn't going to be stopped, no matter what scheme was employed. Now that we have medicore players, the scheme is exposed and is a huge liabillity.

Instead of being so GD stubborn, our defensive gurus should switch to a more aggressive scheme to be used by our d-line. Instead of thinking and adjusting one's play accordingly based on what the offense is doing, why not bust balls and try to disrupt the offense? And FFS, if you can't get pressure with the front four, send in a linebacker or safety to create some pressure, and for love of all things sweet and cuddly, let's not make it a delayed blitz with Cassidy...he'll show up in the backfield after the whistle has been blown.

To me it looks like are line needs to get in the weight room. The D line is getting man-handled. Technique - schmecnique we are getting owned physically.

It's possible this has to do with the conference change. Our guys are undersized in comparison to a lot of other teams. Our average offensive line weight is something like 10 pound smaller than Wisconsin's. Having a seriously undersized center doesn't do a lot of favors, either.

That said, our lines didn't look great against weaker lines (Fresno State, Washington, etc.)

To all those calling for Bo’s head: Have you forgotten how painful it is to go through a coaching search? We just went through this twice in the last decade. Sure we have plenty of room for improvement—in several areas. But things aren’t so bad that we need to nuke the whole program again. We’d be starting over from ground zero rebuilding the program and trying to recruit players to fit a new coaching philosophy. I really don’t want to go through *that* again.

Me either! This whole subject just makes me nervous. Ohio State and Penn State are looking for new coaches. I've heard Bo's name already thrown around as a possible replacement at Ohio State (although Meyer is their first choice) All of the names that people have mentioned in the other posts as possible candidates for Nebraska didn't take the NU job when it was offered to them before-what makes them think they would take it now (i.e. Chris Peterson from Boise State-He's not going to leave that cushy job to come here! He would also miss his blue field too much lol)

I really do think that we will see some major changes in the next two years. Our boys are young, our coaches are inexperienced but they are all getting better. I want to hold on to what we have and build on it, that is unless Bo just doesn't think he can do anything else here and wants to go somewhere else. That would be an entirely different situation. But until then GO BIG RED!

I could see Peterson coming here. His days of dominating a suspect league with lesser players are over. He probably doesn't even know which league he'll be coaching come 2012. And probably a new one in 2013. Nebraska offers Peterson stability. Likewise it presents an appealing situation for a guy like Paul Johnson at G. Tech. Being able to come in and implement the tripple option in the grand-daddy of all option programs...and get out of the ever-changing ACC into the Big10 at the same time? He'd jump at it. Golden just got dropped into a program that had a bomb go off in their compliance department. Miami is about to get hit hard - why ride that crapper into the ground and watch your career go with it?

I think a lot of you are forgetting that with conference changes comes changes for these coaches. Guys coaching in the ACC/Big East are watching as their conferences drastically change. Guys in the Big12 aren't sure who they'll be playing in 2013. It sets itself up very nicely for a program coming off an 8-4 or 9-3 season, that finds themselves in a stable conference.

I'm not advocating for a coaching change - but if TO decides that's the path to take...I won't be too worried about the possible heir-apparent (unless he picks up KU's leftovers and gives the reigns to Gill...then I'd be worried)

I could see Peterson coming here. His days of dominating a suspect league with lesser players are over. He probably doesn't even know which league he'll be coaching come 2012. And probably a new one in 2013. Nebraska offers Peterson stability. Likewise it presents an appealing situation for a guy like Paul Johnson at G. Tech. Being able to come in and implement the tripple option in the grand-daddy of all option programs...and get out of the ever-changing ACC into the Big10 at the same time? He'd jump at it. Golden just got dropped into a program that had a bomb go off in their compliance department. Miami is about to get hit hard - why ride that crapper into the ground and watch your career go with it?

I think a lot of you are forgetting that with conference changes comes changes for these coaches. Guys coaching in the ACC/Big East are watching as their conferences drastically change. Guys in the Big12 aren't sure who they'll be playing in 2013. It sets itself up very nicely for a program coming off an 8-4 or 9-3 season, that finds themselves in a stable conference.

I'm not advocating for a coaching change - but if TO decides that's the path to take...I won't be too worried about the possible heir-apparent (unless he picks up KU's leftovers and gives the reigns to Gill...then I'd be worried)

How can you possibly say that Nebraska offers Peterson stability? We gave Frank six seasons. We gave BC four seasons. If it happens, we will have given Bo four seasons. How in the heck does this translate into stability? While I highly doubt Bo's job is in jeapardy, if it is I also highly doubt any coach worth his salt would even give us a look considering our recent track record with regards to head coaches. My best guess if it were to happen is taking a chance on another highly touted assistant.