How many years did it take

macroboy

Began building in 1976 (year 4) and came to a fever pitch in 1978 (year 6), until the OU win. The pressure on him to beat Oklahoma was immeasurable. That stretch from 76-78 was brutal.... there were some bad losses in there - Missouri, Iowa State, Washington State, Iowa State (again and at home), the OU hook and ladder game, Missouri (again, after beating OU).

It's since come out very recently that Osborne was going to be fired had he not won the 1976 Bluebonnet Bowl... that team would have finished 8-4-1 with a loss. That and 1990 are probably Osborne's two most disappointing squads.

In the end, Osborne needed 9 years to win a conference title outright (1981).... but early in that season, the Huskers were 1-2 and getting booed at home. One of the very first games I went to was a game against Auburn where we had lost the week before and were down 3-0 at halftime. That's when Turner Gill came in and changed everything.

Shatel's article is interesting because it points out a key difference between Tom and Bo in terms of expectations - Osborne got 9 years, but Pelini may not have that luxury only because the years preceding him were obviously much darker than the ones that immediately preceded Osborne (*ahem* 70-71) so the "win now" segment is much more vocal, having sat through most of the last decade of futility without any trophies.

In the end, Osborne needed 9 years to win a conference title outright (1981).... but early in that season, the Huskers were 1-2 and getting booed at home. One of the very first games I went to was a game against Auburn where we had lost the week before and were down 3-0 at halftime. That's when Turner Gill came in and changed everything.

Shatel's article is interesting because it points out a key difference between Tom and Bo in terms of expectations - Osborne got 9 years, but Pelini may not have that luxury only because the years preceding him were obviously much darker than the ones that immediately preceded Osborne (*ahem* 70-71) so the "win now" segment is much more vocal, having sat through most of the last decade of futility without any trophies.

Which to me is the massive hypocrisy in all this. If it was so bad for that 4 years, then why in the hell are we in meltdown mode after 4 straight 9 win seasons, and possibly a 3rd straight 10 win season. I know everyone is ready for that next step that shouldve been taken already, but I still cant understand why some dont accept this as an improvement from the previous status quo.

• Fire 1

Am I disappointed about certain games we play? yes

Do I consider this season a success? no

Do I consider this season a failure? no

Should Bo keep his job? yes

Should Bo feel any real pressure right now? no

I said before the season we would go 9-3. We had one heck of a schedule to get through. Wisconsin and Ohio State back to back as well as Penn State and Michigan back to back is daunting. Sure we lost to Northwestern, but a lot of other good teams have seen similar upsets. I just hope we show up to our bowl game and play well. I can't stand another Washington failure.

If you can consistently have winning seasons and you finally get that one or two "Star" players to emerge, thats how championships are won. No Tommy Frazier/Lawrence Phillips etc= no National Championship. No Tim Tebow/ Percy Harvin= no championship. Vince Young, Cam Newton,the list goes on and on. Coaches can only do so much, and GREAT players are the difference between GOOD seasons and Championship ones.

Calling for a coach is common anywhere, don't think it just happens at Nebraska, if people don't like the way the program is being ran and the direction it's headed they'll voice their opinion, the same way people who think the program is heading in the right direction and the current coach is doing just fine are at every program. It happens everywhere folks.

Which to me is the massive hypocrisy in all this. If it was so bad for that 4 years, then why in the hell are we in meltdown mode after 4 straight 9 win seasons, and possibly a 3rd straight 10 win season. I know everyone is ready for that next step that shouldve been taken already, but I still cant understand why some dont accept this as an improvement from the previous status quo.

People are buying into the hype. The media/fans sunshine pmped us big time last year, and agan this year, a lot of folks bought that, and now they are let down. Funny thing is most people said 9-3 in the regualr season would be good.

Calling for a coach is common anywhere, don't think it just happens at Nebraska, if people don't like the way the program is being ran and the direction it's headed they'll voice their opinion, the same way people who think the program is heading in the right direction and the current coach is doing just fine are at every program. It happens everywhere folks.

Just rewind about a year, and there was a massive effort to gets Miles out at LSU. In fact rumor mill people had Bo moving back to LSU as HC. Seems laughable now, and of course the LSU fan base now thinks Les is the second coming... What a difference a year can make...

How many years will take before everyone isn't measured to T.O.? Give me a break.

THIS. Times have changed. We need to get with it, or get run over. If we continue with the mediocrity we'll have trouble hiring a big-name coach (if it comes to that) and we'll lose ground with big-name recruits. Nebraska will no longer be Nebraska.