DC Candidates?

Why do we want to get a DC? We already have a great one with Bo.

I'd rather go for a great DLine coach as our DEs haven't done squat in years. Another option would be bringing back a recruiting machine like Bill Busch.

Bo is supposed to be a head coach (meaning working with and managing all phases of the game), not defensive coordinator. That is why.

I guess TO was supposed to be the head coach (meaning working with and managing all phases of the game), not offensive coordinator. If only TO would have known.

All right enough with lurking I'll chime in. I would like to see a special teams a point of emphasis in the offseason. The kick coverage has been terrible since Bo got here. If JP goes to DC and Ells gets the special teams, I hope he has the pedigree for it. While Burkhead and Abdullah spent the season fair catching it seems like the opposing returners had the whole field to run around on punts.

Also, is DA Skers one of the official "insiders" on this board?

It's great to have someone close to the program that's willing to share some insights with us. No one has a gun to your head demanding you buy it, right?

This is a "forum", my friend. Everything is good.

Exciting day yesterday with lots of moving parts. Best part is that reasonable money is there for a bigger names like Stoops or Zook for example. There is a supposed 3rd pretty good guy from non BCS but not sure who it might be. As far as money goes, the rumor is at least $500,000ish pledged still trying to figure out if that's true but a good source said money would be there. Lots of talk about Co-DC/Assistant Head coach or splitting or Co-DC's, Co-Special Teams, etc to give people titles and raises. (Namely JP). MIght also allow for JP to keep RC duties. Biggest deal will be if everyone is agreeable and likes the idea. Its unclear how close or how far away everything is but if nothing else its being discussed between Bo and TO. It might not happen but at least I would feel good that there was an attempt. It shows we're thinking bigger than Nebraska traditionally does. I'm about as excited as I have been since we hired Bo with what all could happen.

I hope you're right. As much as people get a warm & fuzzy feeling about "keeping it in-house", I think for Nebraska to get to Top 10 relevant we should be going to the outside for proven candidates at the coordinator positions. With equal talent a more senior staff will beat a junior staff 90% of the time...I think we saw that a couple of times this year, unfortunately.

I think JP gets a move up no matter what. I think he needs to. He'll be a head coach in the next 5 years. Personally I'm fine with him solely at DC if some duties are moved around. If we end up with just JP and no splash hire which is just as strong a possibility Els will probably take over special teams. Just tough to tell who does RC. I feel really good no matter what way it ends up.

Personally (I could be wrong) I don't think the boosters will give Pelini a long enough leash to allow for a brand new DC like JP to "grow" into their new role. I would suspect the boosters are pushing hard for Pelini to shake up a so-so staff with some proven commodities.

I don't buy this "proven" mantra whatsoever. There's wayyyyyy to many variables involved. What kind of synergy do they bring between the coaches, the schemes, the players and so on?

A couple of years ago UCLA brought in one of the the most "proven" OCs in cfb with N. Chow and he failed miserably. We bring in a "proven" Clownahan (Superbowl coach!) and he fails miserably. Sherman with TAM, etc, etc. It happens everywhere.

I'm fine with whoever BO chooses. "Proven" resume or not.

My point being I hope Pelini is doing an extensive search of the best defensive minds in the country and hires a great candidate. My fear is he'll keep it in his inner-circle.

Bo will either give a position coach a raise or go out again and get one of his "high school" buddies.

So Stoops is still an option.

Might be out of play now. We'll see, but sounds like he may be OU bound and their might be some shake ups there. No shortage of options for this guy. Thats for sure.

• Fire 1

Bo will either give a position coach a raise or go out again and get one of his "high school" buddies.

Might be out of play now. We'll see, but sounds like he may be OU bound and their might be some shake ups there. No shortage of options for this guy. Thats for sure.

Do you think Zook is still an option? Or are we going to keep this in house?

Heard maybe Leach had been in contact too. If Leach's offense had a good defense, holy crap watch out pac12.

All right enough with lurking I'll chime in. I would like to see a special teams a point of emphasis in the offseason. The kick coverage has been terrible since Bo got here. If JP goes to DC and Ells gets the special teams, I hope he has the pedigree for it. While Burkhead and Abdullah spent the season fair catching it seems like the opposing returners had the whole field to run around on punts.

It's great to have someone close to the program that's willing to share some insights with us. No one has a gun to your head demanding you buy it, right?

This is a "forum", my friend. Everything is good.

No I wasn't being skeptical. I was just wondering if Da Skers was one of those insiders everyone wants to hear from, like Sam I AM and the Louisiana Husker dude from the Red Sea Scrolls.

As of late last night and early this morning he was. Don't know what's happened today. Still have a mystery guy out there that no one will give a name of. So either no one knows who it is or he's coaching somewhere still which is probably the case.

• Fire 1

As of late last night and early this morning he was. Don't know what's happened today. Still have a mystery guy out there that no one will give a name of. So either no one knows who it is or he's coaching somewhere still which is probably the case.

Thanks for keeping us updated. Hope we get this done soon.

I was watching Big Red Wrap Up last night and Jason Peter was on there (I know I know he rambles on about when he played). But, he had mentioned that he talked to Charlie McBride and he had said Supposedly, that he would be more than willing to coach the D line NU. He said that they need him or someone like him to bring that fire back. I believe he also was saying move JP to DC to run Bo's D.

I liked listening to Jason last night, He made some very good points on getting back to Nebraska football. The leadership with the QB position the leaders on both sides of the ball. He was also talking about trust and loyalty, and how you have to be able to trust each and every person on your team to be able to compete for titles, this came after they were talking about the Suh thing, he called Slauson a slob for doing what he did. He was also talking about making the kids earn the right to suit up not to mention getting a Blackshirt. He basically was saying that we are way to soft right now, which I kind of agree with. I really like Jason's passion for the program, he still has that fire in his eye. Have to commend him for straightening his life out.

Anyway I wonder if there is any truth to this. Or if Bo would be ok with this. I think it would be interesting to see. :dunno

I was watching Big Red Wrap Up last night and Jason Peter was on there (I know I know he rambles on about when he played). But, he had mentioned that he talked to Charlie McBride and he had said Supposedly, that he would be more than willing to coach the D line NU. He said that they need him or someone like him to bring that fire back. I believe he also was saying move JP to DC to run Bo's D.

I liked listening to Jason last night, He made some very good points on getting back to Nebraska football. The leadership with the QB position the leaders on both sides of the ball. He was also talking about trust and loyalty, and how you have to be able to trust each and every person on your team to be able to compete for titles, this came after they were talking about the Suh thing, he called Slauson a slob for doing what he did. He was also talking about making the kids earn the right to suit up not to mention getting a Blackshirt. He basically was saying that we are way to soft right now, which I kind of agree with. I really like Jason's passion for the program, he still has that fire in his eye. Have to commend him for straightening his life out.

Anyway I wonder if there is any truth to this. Or if Bo would be ok with this. I think it would be interesting to see. :dunno

I hope there is as I "loved" McBride's attacking defense. Bo's 2003, 09 & 10 defenses rocked too but there's nothing wrong with coming up with the best of both worlds, right?

If JP is the coach who has been working with our kickers I don't care how average the rest of the special teams are. Turning walk-on's into AA kickers that are extremely dependable and can both punt and kick is worth keeping him in that capacity no matter what his title is.

• Fire 2

If JP is the coach who has been working with our kickers I don't care how average the rest of the special teams are. Turning walk-on's into AA kickers that are extremely dependable and can both punt and kick is worth keeping him in that capacity no matter what his title is.

Excellent point. We've had some of the best kickers/punters in the nation for some time now. Going back to our mid-90s MNC runs. And quite a few of them started out at NU as walk-ons. So we are definitely doing something right in that dept.