DC Candidates?

I think the thing we need most as a team isn't a D-Line coach, but a recruiter.

Would McBride be willing to go on the road again and pound pavement to reach the kids necessary? Maybe he still has it in him, but I wouldn't think so...

I think people romanticize McBride's defenses a bit. Craig Bohl could have a dominating defense with Farley, Tomich, and Booker. I'm too young to know but wasn't the weakness of the 83 team the defense? Even the year we got blown out by Georgia Tech in the bowl game our D was pedestrian wasn't it?

• Fire 1

I think people romanticize McBride's defenses a bit. Craig Bohl could have a dominating defense with Farley, Tomich, and Booker. I'm too young to know but wasn't the weakness of the 83 team the defense? Even the year we got blown out by Georgia Tech in the bowl game our D was pedestrian wasn't it?

There is definitely a disconnect between today's legend of Charlie McBride and the entirety of his career. McBride was largely considered a goat during his time at Nebraska. There was a LONG time when McBride was hated in Nebraska. People wanted him fired in the worst way. Had Algore invented the internet a decade earlier we'd have had to create a whole new forum just for griping about Charlie McBride. Charlie was relatively new to the job in 1983, so the fact that we were strong but slow on D back then really wasn't McBride's fault.

It's also hard to know who had more influence in our focus on strength rather than speed after that 1983 game, Osborne or McBride. Certainly we continued to have strong, slower defenses through the rest of the decade, and into the early 90s. The tide finally turned sometime in the middle of Osborne's 7-game bowl losing streak from 1987 through 1993 where we gave up an average of 30 points per game to southern schools. In that span we lost to FSU, Miami, FSU, GA Tech, Miami, FSU and again to FSU. However, you could tell that by that 1993 loss we had recruited the athletes necessary to compete with the speedy Florida States and Miamis thanks to a fundamental philosophical change in recruiting speed and switching from the 5-2 to the 4-3. The fast linebackers we recruited (and that McBride coached) paved the way for the title run from 1994-1997, and cemented McBride's status as a Husker legend.

But before that run.... he wasn't so well-liked. Tarred-and-feathered was what most people wanted to do with him.

• Fire 1

All right enough with lurking I'll chime in. I would like to see a special teams a point of emphasis in the offseason. The kick coverage has been terrible since Bo got here. If JP goes to DC and Ells gets the special teams, I hope he has the pedigree for it. While Burkhead and Abdullah spent the season fair catching it seems like the opposing returners had the whole field to run around on punts.

Also, is DA Skers one of the official "insiders" on this board?

If JP is the coach who has been working with our kickers I don't care how average the rest of the special teams are. Turning walk-on's into AA kickers that are extremely dependable and can both punt and kick is worth keeping him in that capacity no matter what his title is.

Excellent point. We've had some of the best kickers/punters in the nation for some time now. Going back to our mid-90s MNC runs. And quite a few of them started out at NU as walk-ons. So we are definitely doing something right in that dept.

Ahh no. We had a few years before Congdon that we couldn't hit a 35 yarder. Everytime Sandro DeAngelis or David Dyches was lined up outside of 30 it was about 50-50, but I do agree he has done great with Henery & Maher.

There is definitely a disconnect between today's legend of Charlie McBride and the entirety of his career. McBride was largely considered a goat during his time at Nebraska. There was a LONG time when McBride was hated in Nebraska. People wanted him fired in the worst way. Had Algore invented the internet a decade earlier we'd have had to create a whole new forum just for griping about Charlie McBride. Charlie was relatively new to the job in 1983, so the fact that we were strong but slow on D back then really wasn't McBride's fault.

It's also hard to know who had more influence in our focus on strength rather than speed after that 1983 game, Osborne or McBride. Certainly we continued to have strong, slower defenses through the rest of the decade, and into the early 90s. The tide finally turned sometime in the middle of Osborne's 7-game bowl losing streak from 1987 through 1993 where we gave up an average of 30 points per game to southern schools. In that span we lost to FSU, Miami, FSU, GA Tech, Miami, FSU and again to FSU. However, you could tell that by that 1993 loss we had recruited the athletes necessary to compete with the speedy Florida States and Miamis thanks to a fundamental philosophical change in recruiting speed and switching from the 5-2 to the 4-3. The fast linebackers we recruited (and that McBride coached) paved the way for the title run from 1994-1997, and cemented McBride's status as a Husker legend.

But before that run.... he wasn't so well-liked. Tarred-and-feathered was what most people wanted to do with him.

^I about pissed myself when I read that.

All right enough with lurking I'll chime in. I would like to see a special teams a point of emphasis in the offseason. The kick coverage has been terrible since Bo got here. If JP goes to DC and Ells gets the special teams, I hope he has the pedigree for it. While Burkhead and Abdullah spent the season fair catching it seems like the opposing returners had the whole field to run around on punts.

If JP is the coach who has been working with our kickers I don't care how average the rest of the special teams are. Turning walk-on's into AA kickers that are extremely dependable and can both punt and kick is worth keeping him in that capacity no matter what his title is.

Excellent point. We've had some of the best kickers/punters in the nation for some time now. Going back to our mid-90s MNC runs. And quite a few of them started out at NU as walk-ons. So we are definitely doing something right in that dept.

Ahh no. We had a few years before Congdon that we couldn't hit a 35 yarder. Everytime Sandro DeAngelis or David Dyches was lined up outside of 30 it was about 50-50, but I do agree he has done great with Henery & Maher.

Kris Brown. Josh Brown. Sam Koch. Darin Erstad. We’ve had a lot of good kickers and punters over the years. It didn’t just start with Congdon--who wasn't really that great, btw.

I think the thing we need most as a team isn't a D-Line coach, but a recruiter.

Would McBride be willing to go on the road again and pound pavement to reach the kids necessary? Maybe he still has it in him, but I wouldn't think so...

The year we got blown out by Georgia Tech we had Mike Croel, Bruce Pickens, Reggie Cooper, Mike Petko, Pat Tyrance, and Kenny Walker. I was befuddled as a 13 year old what happened that year with all that talent. You would think just by those guys standing out there they could have limited Tech to under 30 points. Those were Mcbride's dark years. Still, I would love to see McBride back.

A good deal of our kicking teachings come from former players coming back in the summer and working with these guys in camps and summer work outs. Chris Brown has been a huge help. I assume Alex will come back and continue that. Our coaches talk to them more about what they want them to learn to do and its up to the kickers to get that advice from those guys.

Kris Brown. Josh Brown. Sam Koch. Darin Erstad. We’ve had a lot of good kickers and punters over the years. It didn’t just start with Congdon--who wasn't really that great, btw.

Read your statement. Over the years is different then your previous statement, but it really doesn't matter. I was just pointing out a few of our very low points in the kicking game since the mid 90's.

As far as Congdon you couldn't be more wrong.

• 2005 First-Team Freshman All-American (Football Writers, Rivals.com, ESPN.com)
  • 2005 First-Team Freshman All-Big 12 (The Sporting News)
  • 2005 Second-Team All-Big 12 (AP, San Antonio Express News, Austin American-Statesman, Kansas City Star)
  • Nebraska Record for Field Goals in a Season (19)
  • First Nationally Among Freshmen in Field Goal Accuracy (.826)
  • Tied For 16th Nationally and Second in Big 12 in FG per Game (1.58)
  • 2006 Preseason Second-Team All-Big 12 (Lindy’s)
  • 2006 Lou Groza Collegiate Place-Kicker Award Watch List
  • 2006 Big 12 Commissioner’s Spring Academic Honor Roll
  • 2005 Big 12 Commissioner’s Fall Academic Honor Roll

He left after his Soph season. Said it was to be close to his Mom, but transfered to USC.

I really don't care who we hire, as long as that person or those people can light a fire under our players' asses!! I saw JPeter on BRWU last night too. His biggest problem was the attitude and leadership. He doesn't see it with anyone on the team and I completely agree.

Where are the leaders!!!!???? I have just been completely frustrated by not seeing anyone on the field step up and get in guys faces. I understand the business-like approach but I don't think that's a good attitude for college football. That's a NFL attitude. In college you want to see that fire and love and all out attitudes. Watch LSU, Alabama, Oregon, hell even Boise. Those teams have a TON of fire on the field. You see guys holding other guys accountable.

JPeter also said how he is totally against a revolving Captain system. He feels b/c of this many guys aren't sure who to look at as the leaders. I do agree to some point, but as far as I'm considered, it shouldn't matter if you are voted a Captain or not, there should be "Actual Leaders" on the team whether designated or not. There has to be vocal leaders that will hold everyone accountable!!!!

The biggest problem I've seen with our team in the last decade is the lack of attitude, fire, swagger, etc. Call it whatever you want but I haven't seen it. And I think this is a direct correlation to the coaches. We need some coaches who can come in here and show these players what fire and attitude is, and to find leaders on the team that can step up and actually vocally do it.

One last question. When is the last time you saw a player on our team go up to another player and grab his facemask and give him the business??

I really don't care who we hire, as long as that person or those people can light a fire under our players' asses!! I saw JPeter on BRWU last night too. His biggest problem was the attitude and leadership. He doesn't see it with anyone on the team and I completely agree.

Where are the leaders!!!!???? I have just been completely frustrated by not seeing anyone on the field step up and get in guys faces. I understand the business-like approach but I don't think that's a good attitude for college football. That's a NFL attitude. In college you want to see that fire and love and all out attitudes. Watch LSU, Alabama, Oregon, hell even Boise. Those teams have a TON of fire on the field. You see guys holding other guys accountable.

JPeter also said how he is totally against a revolving Captain system. He feels b/c of this many guys aren't sure who to look at as the leaders. I do agree to some point, but as far as I'm considered, it shouldn't matter if you are voted a Captain or not, there should be "Actual Leaders" on the team whether designated or not. There has to be vocal leaders that will hold everyone accountable!!!!

The biggest problem I've seen with our team in the last decade is the lack of attitude, fire, swagger, etc. Call it whatever you want but I haven't seen it. And I think this is a direct correlation to the coaches. We need some coaches who can come in here and show these players what fire and attitude is, and to find leaders on the team that can step up and actually vocally do it.

One last question. When is the last time you saw a player on our team go up to another player and grab his facemask and give him the business??

My problem with Jason is he makes a lot of broad statements like that yet he's not around the team. How does he know there aren't leaders on the team? Apparently he didn't watch Rex at all this year or talk to any players at all. David was the same way on the defense. I'm sorry, just because you beat down some freshman on the team and demoralize him and bully him (a guy who's supposed to be your teammate BTW) it doesn't mean you're not a leader.

As far as the defense he's so against, he doesn't consider the fact that there are more than one way to skin a cat so to speak. Just because we ran a defense one way almost 20 years ago it doesn't mean any number of defenses wont work. BTW. . .McBride who he's pimping so hard likes this defense.

My problem with Jason is he makes a lot of broad statements like that yet he's not around the team. How does he know there aren't leaders on the team? Apparently he didn't watch Rex at all this year or talk to any players at all. David was the same way on the defense. I'm sorry, just because you beat down some freshman on the team and demoralize him and bully him (a guy who's supposed to be your teammate BTW) it doesn't mean you're not a leader.

As far as the defense he's so against, he doesn't consider the fact that there are more than one way to skin a cat so to speak. Just because we ran a defense one way almost 20 years ago it doesn't mean any number of defenses wont work. BTW. . .McBride who he's pimping so hard likes this defense.

I think it comes from the fact that there seem to be a couple "lead by example" guys on the team (David, Burkhead) but no apparent vocal leaders on the sidelines during the actual games.