DC Candidates?

I really don't care who we hire, as long as that person or those people can light a fire under our players' asses!! I saw JPeter on BRWU last night too. His biggest problem was the attitude and leadership. He doesn't see it with anyone on the team and I completely agree.

Where are the leaders!!!!???? I have just been completely frustrated by not seeing anyone on the field step up and get in guys faces. I understand the business-like approach but I don't think that's a good attitude for college football. That's a NFL attitude. In college you want to see that fire and love and all out attitudes. Watch LSU, Alabama, Oregon, hell even Boise. Those teams have a TON of fire on the field. You see guys holding other guys accountable.

JPeter also said how he is totally against a revolving Captain system. He feels b/c of this many guys aren't sure who to look at as the leaders. I do agree to some point, but as far as I'm considered, it shouldn't matter if you are voted a Captain or not, there should be "Actual Leaders" on the team whether designated or not. There has to be vocal leaders that will hold everyone accountable!!!!

The biggest problem I've seen with our team in the last decade is the lack of attitude, fire, swagger, etc. Call it whatever you want but I haven't seen it. And I think this is a direct correlation to the coaches. We need some coaches who can come in here and show these players what fire and attitude is, and to find leaders on the team that can step up and actually vocally do it.

One last question. When is the last time you saw a player on our team go up to another player and grab his facemask and give him the business??

My problem with Jason is he makes a lot of broad statements like that yet he's not around the team. How does he know there aren't leaders on the team? Apparently he didn't watch Rex at all this year or talk to any players at all. David was the same way on the defense. I'm sorry, just because you beat down some freshman on the team and demoralize him and bully him (a guy who's supposed to be your teammate BTW) it doesn't mean you're not a leader.

As far as the defense he's so against, he doesn't consider the fact that there are more than one way to skin a cat so to speak. Just because we ran a defense one way almost 20 years ago it doesn't mean any number of defenses wont work. BTW. . .McBride who he's pimping so hard likes this defense.

I think it comes from the fact that there seem to be a couple "lead by example" guys on the team (David, Burkhead) but no apparent vocal leaders on the sidelines during the actual games.

Yes, lead by example is great, but many players don't get motivated by lead by example. There has to be vocal leaders on the team. Show me a national championship team in the past 20 years that didn't have at least one major vocal leader!! It's about motivation and having your peers holding you accountable.

No one with a straight face can tell me they see the fire, fierce attitude, c$%k swagger, and unacceptance of a loss from this team over the last decade. It's just not there. Tired of hearing the "oh it was just one game, we have to put it behind us and move forward" crap.

The crazy thing is it can all come back with just one or two guys stepping up to be vocal leaders. And I agree with JPeter about getting rid of the rotating Captains. Vote for the captains! Guys who will step up and be vocal leaders. Guys who will call others out even if they're "all-americans." Allow the team to see who the leaders are at all times, they don't change game to game. This isn't high school anymore, not everyone needs to be coddled and made sure they get to be a captain at least once.

If we hire Jason Peter as our DC I will personally burn my Bo Pelini sweatshirt and hat and start a march on Lincoln until the entire football and athletic administration that allowed that to happen did the honorable thing and resigned.

I'm not saying hire JPeter. I'm just agreeing with a few things he said. I really think Mike Stoops would be awesome to bring in even if only for a couple years. He gets excited and will give the defense some fire. But by no means am I saying hire JPeter.

One last question. When is the last time you saw a player on our team go up to another player and grab his facemask and give him the business??

So we actually have to see it or else it didn't happen? Kind of like a tree in the forest?

I read (in the OWH I think) that David went off on the team at half time of the Wisconsin game. Didn't seem to help much. The NEXT WEEK vs. Ohio St., he didn't yell at anyone, just went around telling everyone to keep their heads up and keep working. Seemed to work better the second time.

Sandro DeAngelis was my 7th grade science student teacher. He's not the nicest guy in the world.

When was this? As recently as 2009 he was winning the Grey Cup with the Calgary Stampeders in the CFL.

Let's see... I was in 7th grade in 2004-2005. Mr. Little's science class at Goodrich Middle School. Those were the days.

What, was he really? He wasn't that long ago, was he? Did he go into teaching right after his career at NU?

Well, I don't know if he went straight into teaching, but the last time I heard, he was still listed as a substitute teacher in Millard. Of course, he's playing in the CFL, so I'm not entirely sure how that works. I think he was an education major with a special education focus and did his practicum with my 7th grade science class.

Yes, He did not have a strong leg, but was pretty accurate inside 40. I would not call him a great kicker, but he was good. NUance is butt hurt because I called him out for making it sound like we have had a line of great kickers since the mid -90's. I just pointed out how Sandro DeAngelis & David Dyches were not very good at all.

Heck, I’m not butt hurt at all. In fact I don’t know why you’d even be concerned with my butt—unless that’s the type of thing that concerns you. But I am a little confused trying to follow your logic. I said above that we've had some of the best kickers/punters in the nation for some time now—going back to our mid-90s MNC runs. I didn’t say we had the best in the nation every single year back to that time. And when you mentioned Congdon as the example of a kicker who was good beyond 35 yards, I pointed out that his max range was about 40 yards. So he wasn’t really that good of a kicker, despite all the freshman awards. I'd say Congdon is one of the gaps in our line of great kickers. In fact, the two guys you mentioned as bad examples, David Dyches and Sandro DeAngeles, were both better than Congdon. At least Dyches was—DeAngeles only kicked for like half a year or something before Dyches beat him out. IIRC, Dyches single handedly saved our bacon when Penn State visited Memorial Stadium back on ’03.

So did Congdon vs KSU 40yrd FG to win the game. Congdon also distroyed all of Dykes Fr records.

Dyches was terrible. He was a 66.6% (16-24) kicker while he was here. His career long was 46 yards which was only 5 yards more then Congdon’s long of 41 yards. Congdon was 80% (24-30) kicker while he was here. I may not be the smartest person alive but if my math is right 80% is better then 66.6%. Dyches only attempted one FG over 50 yards and missed it, 6 of his career 8 misses were from inside 40 yards. Congdon might not have been the best but to say Dyches was better is pretty much incorrect.

Dyches was terrible. He was a 66.6% (16-24) kicker while he was here. His career long was 46 yards which was only 5 yards more then Congdon’s long of 41 yards. Congdon was 80% (24-30) kicker while he was here. I may not be the smartest person alive but if my math is right 80% is better then 66.6%. Dyches only attempted one FG over 50 yards and missed it, 6 of his career 8 misses were from inside 40 yards. Congdon might not have been the best but to say Dyches was better is pretty much incorrect.

I have a more personal side to this debate. I went to Nebraska from 2003-2008. I'm from Houston, TX as was David Dyches. He went to my high school and I knew him form a kid, so it was pretty cool that he was going to Nebraska too. At the time he was one of the highest recruited kickers in the nation. He had an offer from Ohio ST. but chose Nebraska. His freshman year I roomed with him at Abel.

Dyches was one of the most athletic guys Ive ever known, and this showed his freshman year when he played very well. And yes, he did single handidly save us in the Penn ST. game. Unfortunately for him, the guy that recruited him, Solich was fired that year and in came ole' Bill Callahan. I was able to see first hand how David reacteed to the new coach. He never said anything bad about Callahan, but you could tell that the two butted heads and did not get along. How do you explain David being a Freshman All-American one year & then the next year, the guy he beat out, Sandro De-suckass starting over him. Didn't make sense. This seemed to wear on Dyches & his work ethic seemed to take a toll & I believe this showed in his kicking.

Needless to say, compared to the kicking greats we've had in the Browns & Henery, Dyches and Congdon pale in comparison. Just wanted to share a more personal story on the matter. One more thing, Dyches was always reading the paper & would always ask me about the negative comments toward him. Do you guys think the players on this team get caught up in what the media says about them? If I were a player I don't think I would ever read an article or watch anything that pertained to our team or myself. Seems that would be the best way to keep your head clear.

I have a more personal side to this debate. I went to Nebraska from 2003-2008. I'm from Houston, TX as was David Dyches. He went to my high school and I knew him form a kid, so it was pretty cool that he was going to Nebraska too. At the time he was one of the highest recruited kickers in the nation. He had an offer from Ohio ST. but chose Nebraska. His freshman year I roomed with him at Abel.

Dyches was one of the most athletic guys Ive ever known, and this showed his freshman year when he played very well. And yes, he did single handidly save us in the Penn ST. game. Unfortunately for him, the guy that recruited him, Solich was fired that year and in came ole' Bill Callahan. I was able to see first hand how David reacteed to the new coach. He never said anything bad about Callahan, but you could tell that the two butted heads and did not get along. How do you explain David being a Freshman All-American one year & then the next year, the guy he beat out, Sandro De-suckass starting over him. Didn't make sense. This seemed to wear on Dyches & his work ethic seemed to take a toll & I believe this showed in his kicking.

Needless to say, compared to the kicking greats we've had in the Browns & Henery, Dyches and Congdon pale in comparison. Just wanted to share a more personal story on the matter. One more thing, Dyches was always reading the paper & would always ask me about the negative comments toward him. Do you guys think the players on this team get caught up in what the media says about them? If I were a player I don't think I would ever read an article or watch anything that pertained to our team or myself. Seems that would be the best way to keep your head clear.

You know people are starved for coaching news when a "DC Candidates" topic is devolving into arguments about kickers...

• Fire 1

This all started because I agreed with another poster above and pointed out above that Nebraska has had a long line of great kickers and punters. And you guys want to argue that Congdon is better than Dyches? WTF??

Since you want to turn this DC thread into a discussion of kickers, let's at least be fair about it. Sure Dyches had a lower FG% than Congdon. But we weren’t afraid to let Dyches tee it up from more than 40 yards out. So that throws out several of Dyches' 40+ yard misses, if you want to compare apples to apples. Congdon’s wimpy assed little girl leg could only handle kicks from about under 40 yards and under. Also, Dyches had several FGs blocked—at least three that I know of his freshman year. I’m not sure whether Congdon had any blocked FGs, and I’m not sure whether the blocks were Dyches fault or not. (He didn’t seem slow to me.) Are you going to count blocked FGs against Dyches if Congdon was kicking behind a better line? And if Congdon was kicking behind a better line (which I don' know about), would Congdon have done any better if he was behind the 2003/2004 O-line while attempting the sub-40 yard chip shots with that highly accurate wimpy-assed little girl leg?

/end of thread jack