New DC announced: John Papuchis; new DL coach Rick Kaczenski

hskerholic

Turner got the shaft. Two years is not enough time and then to be so stupid to bring in frontbutt. What a bunch of morons.

I am not impressed with this hire/promotion, but I beginning to think Bo has no choice. It seems Nebraska has no desire to pay for the top coaches, proven by hiring Bo for pennies at the time. I am going to believe Bo took the best he could afford. I have to.

This was not the case when Bo was hired, or the last time around (last spring), and I doubt it is this time, either. Bo got who he wanted. As others have said though, up and comers may be better than fired proven hands.

We shall see. Pap as DC, I am really skeptical of, that's all. The new DL coach sounds like he has a solid resume.

yes-men could be one interpretation, or another would be guys Bo is familiar with and trusts.

I am not impressed with this hire/promotion, but I beginning to think Bo has no choice. It seems Nebraska has no desire to pay for the top coaches, proven by hiring Bo for pennies at the time. I am going to believe Bo took the best he could afford. I have to.

I really think this is an issue of loyalty and wanting to have people who are not going to jet first chance they get for a HC job (better to have them ran out right?), not money. Although the athletic department is in deep with facility upgrades, the numbers just came out today actually and there was a $34.5 million "surplus" from football and hoops. That money stays in the athletic department so it's really just a matter of priorities.

I don't know anything about the coaching culture, but one does wonder how enthused a recently fired Zook or Stoops would be here as a gun for hire so to speak until they could get their foot back in the HC door. After seeing what happened to our friends in Texas this year and Charlie Weis at Florida, I'm just not convinced at all that writing a big check to bring in big name assistants is a cure for anything.

I like the hire of coach K and the promotion of JP. JP has been with us for a while and that continuity could very well in the end be better than having a new but proven guy who hasn't been in our system. I hear coach K has a good resume when it comes to the DLine which is great to see. Two good recruiters.

I agree. There also won't be that uncomfortable 'transition' that would've happened with a new coach. The players like JP and the new DL coach has experience so I think this might just be the start of something really good. I'm excited for the bowl game and then for next year.

I'm concerned as well about some of the things that have been written on this board concerning the DC. We're all entitled to our own opinions but there has been some really ANGRY posts lately-very uber negative crappola. (Not necessarily in this thread but the one about Bo interviewing at Penn State-wow! That's got to be about the worst junk I've ever read on this board. I feel sorry for that old guy. He's really got it in for Bo!!)

Anyway, Congrats to our new DC! If you read this board know that we're behind you and we hope you have a great bowl game and best wishes on the 2012-2013 year! (I'm already starting to feel college football withdrawl!!! ARRGGHHH!!) lol

Wow...talk about a major bust of a hire. Below is John Papuchis' ENTIRE coaching resume.

2001–2003 Kansas (Graduate Assistant)

2004–2007 LSU (Graduate Assistant)

2008–2010 Nebraska (Special Teams)

2011 Nebraska (D-Line)

2012 Nebraska (DEFENSIVE COORDINATOR)

The guy has only been out of college and coaching for 10 years, 6 of those years he was a Grad Assistant. JP has been a position coach for all of 4 years and now he is magically ready to become D-Coordinator? What a joke.

I'm absolutely shocked that people on this board aren't furious about this hire. This hire is exactly the same as if we would have hired Scott Frost last year to become our Offensive Coordinator. I seem to remember people freaking out about the mere thought of that happening. Only difference is with Frost, we at least would have been bringing back "one of our own."

Scott Frost Coaching Resume:

2002 Nebraska (GA)

2006 Kansas St (GA)

2007 N. Iowa (LB's)

2007-08 N. Iowa (Co-D Coord/LB's)

2009-present Oregon (WR's)

See any resemblance? I sure do.

To be fair, and this is a very important point: the critical difference between bringing Frost here and bringing Pap up is that Pap has Bo above him as the de fact DC. Frost ... well, I guess Bo is also the de facto OC in a some ways, but he does not have nearly the rep on O that he does on D.

As a standalone DC I think Pap would not get a hard look. But for an established or DC-type head coach, I can see why he would get promoted just to keep him around for the long term, and train him into that role.

I have reservations about this as I've mentioned, but trying to find the pluses here and it isn't hard to see. We came close to losing Pap last year, didn't we? Or at least the possibility of this was raised. And Pap is an asset on this staff plain and simple. He's worth keeping around.

swing.... and a huge miss. We have the money to pay for decent coaches, but I think Bo wants certain type of people (some call it "yes men") and other coaches just may not want to work with him. Certain people just cant work with other personalitis, that's just life. Hey you have to admit, Bo cant be the easiest guy to work for. Could you imagine if that dude was your boss? I dont have any personal issues against him, but I could never work for someone as passive-aggressive as he is.

As for fans talking trash about his hiring decisions? I think he brings it on himself. He has shown his distain for the fans and media several times over the years. If he would embrace the fans instead of holding them at arms reach, people wouldnt criticize him so much. A good leader, captain, boss, whatever... they all have one thing in common, they get everyone around them (bosses, employees, co-workers, other departments, etc) to buy into them and their system/decisions. They dont alienate them. They bring them into the fold, make them feel like a part of whatever it is they are trying to do. Once Bo realizes this, both the fans and the media will cut him some slack and may even defend him at times like this. Unfortunatly, Bo has this wall up when around the media and fans, which is why he takes so much heat. Learn to play the system, Bo. Bucking the system is only going to make things harder for you, as you can see. Sometimes I think Bo is his own worst enemy.

Overall, its not a horrible hire. But, I think he could have landed someone that would have had an immediate impact on coaching and recruiting. How nice would it have been to have both JP and someone like stoops, zook, etc recruiting players for us?

Zoogies,

When we hired Bo, we paid him minimal salary compared to other major programs. He has worked his way up the ladder. I truly think we have given him way too much money for what he has accomplished. I am not sure what all our coaches make, but nothing compared to Bama, Florida, Auburn, LSU, Ohio State and I imagine a host of other programs.

I think Bo's hands are tied as to what he can spend on the staff, and he is living with that. I hope that is what is going on. Pap does not have the credentials to be a top program hire. No one else in the top 15 would have offered it to him. I also think Bo likes the Yes men idea.

I am hoping this turns out for the best, but I still feel this will be the beginning of the end for Bo. No experience on this coaching staff, Bo does not have enough to the head coach and now he is training both OC and DC. He has not learned to delegate and that is the end of a manager. I am afraid he has made a terrible error. Not in hiring a bad coach by any means, but taking on more work when he really needs to be doing less and more of the managing side of the team.

Zoogies,

When we hired Bo, we paid him minimal salary compared to other major programs. He has worked his way up the ladder. I truly think we have given him way too much money for what he has accomplished. I am not sure what all our coaches make, but nothing compared to Bama, Florida, Auburn, LSU, Ohio State and I imagine a host of other programs.

I think Bo's hands are tied as to what he can spend on the staff, and he is living with that. I hope that is what is going on. Pap does not have the credentials to be a top program hire. No one else in the top 15 would have offered it to him. I also think Bo likes the Yes men idea.

I am hoping this turns out for the best, but I still feel this will be the beginning of the end for Bo. No experience on this coaching staff, Bo does not have enough to the head coach and now he is training both OC and DC. He has not learned to delegate and that is the end of a manager. I am afraid he has made a terrible error. Not in hiring a bad coach by any means, but taking on more work when he really needs to be doing less and more of the managing side of the team.

And you know this how? Have you been working with them on a daily basis and have seen firsthand that Pap is not ready to take this next step in his career.

What are thoughts on Gus Malzhan? I believe just 6 years ago he was a high school coach and now he is the HC at Arky St.

The guy has put players in the NFL fand Iowa fans generally consider him a damn good up-and-coming coach. Ya he is supposed to be very intense but guys that come to play for Bo should be prepared for intense.

I'd have definitely liked a splash hire at DC. That said, since Bo will be our de-facto DC while JP is essentially a co-DC like Carl was in years past I'll take a damn good D-line coach.

There's no one formula for success. Let's stop pretending splash hires = success.

100% on the money. "Experienced" coaches have failed miserably and been fired countlessly for decades all around the nation. Some succeed. Some don't. N. Chow, COZ, ect, ect.

The "splash hire" mantra is grossly over-rated.

Zoogies,

And you know this how? Have you been working with them on a daily basis and have seen firsthand that Pap is not ready to take this next step in his career.

What are thoughts on Gus Malzhan? I believe just 6 years ago he was a high school coach and now he is the HC at Arky St.

Seriously, your comparing Nebraska with Arkansas State???