lightyears behind

I don't think there's even that much that needs to change about our passing game. I'm more concerned with the self-destructive false starts that put us into obvious passing downs like 3rd and 20. We had WAY too many of those in the second half, and we're not built for it (nor should we be... Nobody is built for 3rd and 20).

The passing game is on life support. We have a QB and doesn't see all the field, throws behind receivers, and makes stupid reads (everybody in my section knew he going to throw to abdullah when he threw the int.), and for whatever reason we have wide receivers that get scared to catch the ball.

It is difficult for BAMA to run on teams when the other team knows BAMA is going to run the ball. We need to be more balanced so when teams do stack the box ,like they did in the second half, we can make them pay.

Taylor was 10/16 today, and he had 3-4 passes that were flat out dropped. That's a pretty accurate game for the QB. Like HANC said, that interception could have been a bad throw (which every QB makes from time to time), or that interception could have been a result of a bad route from the WR (either turning the wrong way, or going too deep on his route).

Nebraska was running the ball pretty well today and was even throwing the ball perfectly fine until it blew itself up with penalties. The answer to fixing the second half performance wasn't to have a better passing game - it's to stop committing false start penalties - if we do that, then we get into 3rd and manageable like we did throughout the first half, instead of being in 3rd and 20. Then we have to pass, and like you said about Bama - when you know someone's going to do something, it's easy to stop them.

• Fire 1

I don't think there's even that much that needs to change about our passing game. I'm more concerned with the self-destructive false starts that put us into obvious passing downs like 3rd and 20. We had WAY too many of those in the second half, and we're not built for it (nor should we be... Nobody is built for 3rd and 20).

The passing game is on life support. We have a QB and doesn't see all the field, throws behind receivers, and makes stupid reads (everybody in my section knew he going to throw to abdullah when he threw the int.), and for whatever reason we have wide receivers that get scared to catch the ball.

It is difficult for BAMA to run on teams when the other team knows BAMA is going to run the ball. We need to be more balanced so when teams do stack the box ,like they did in the second half, we can make them pay.

I can and am watching Luck and Weeden..... both have "looked down" receivers and thrown picks...... How sure are you that Ameer didn't hook to the inside, when he was supposed to curl out? As a coach, I see this a lot.... a WR can make a QB look bad..... If you 100% sure that the route was run correctly, then yes, what a horrible throw..... but if Ameer ran the wrong route on a "timing" route, then Tmart wasn't at fault.... He releases ball just before the "break" and if the WR turns in, then only guy left is DB.

** Not saying you are wrong, just saying that there may be more to it than the "obvious".... I thought he played fairly well. Ran with a little more explosion and didn't "completely" miss WR.... had 3-4 drops that HAVE to be caught by DI players. Took a few sacks instead of throwing picks, and literally had NO time on other plays..... Some of the "reads" on option were great, others are not.....called football... Maybe SC defense had something to do with it.

- Mark my words, Tmart can get the job done, if guys catch balls, don't put him behind the down and distance with stupid penalties !!!

Weeden and Luck may stare down guys, but when they are on they are great and accurate. I agree with that abdullah could have turned the wrong direction, but that is not how it looked when I saw the coaches approach Martinez after the play. Agreed we did have drops, but all our WRs have changed over the past 2 years and we still don't have a consistent passing game. Maybe we need to start looking in a new direction.

Also, the o-line wasn't that bad today. They played against a 1st round DE and future first round DE and mostly held there own when we had balance. It is hard to run on anyone when 8 or 9 guys are in the box. SC in the second half had no respect for our passing game.

Can't and wont argue any of that !!! Good points. I have already stated in another thread that our OL didn't play that poorly vs a very good defensive front. But the OL has NOT pass protected well all year and didn't do a great job today. When Taylor has time to set his feet and scan the field, he is typically pretty close ( ugly....but has gotten better).... A few times that Taylor was smacked, I can't believe he even held onto the ball. He has only thrown 3 int since first big 10 game..... 1 tip, hail mary, and today !!!

I actually saw a little more explosion out of him today than the rest of the year. This is encouraging. Still think that he can do the job. Remember when we are using the Weeden and Luck reference, one will be the #1 pick and the other has better numbers than Luck....

I can and am watching Luck and Weeden..... both have "looked down" receivers and thrown picks...... How sure are you that Ameer didn't hook to the inside, when he was supposed to curl out? As a coach, I see this a lot.... a WR can make a QB look bad..... If you 100% sure that the route was run correctly, then yes, what a horrible throw..... but if Ameer ran the wrong route on a "timing" route, then Tmart wasn't at fault.... He releases ball just before the "break" and if the WR turns in, then only guy left is DB.

** Not saying you are wrong, just saying that there may be more to it than the "obvious".... I thought he played fairly well. Ran with a little more explosion and didn't "completely" miss WR.... had 3-4 drops that HAVE to be caught by DI players. Took a few sacks instead of throwing picks, and literally had NO time on other plays..... Some of the "reads" on option were great, others are not.....called football... Maybe SC defense had something to do with it.

- Mark my words, Tmart can get the job done, if guys catch balls, don't put him behind the down and distance with stupid penalties !!!

I think good points here, and before he threw to Abdulla, he did actually look to the other side, he wasn't locked on him the entire play, that's good. I do believe though that without the addition of a very surehanded receiver or two we are going to see more of the same. A lot of TM's throws are off just a bit, a little behind or so, and while they are very catchable balls, when you're putting just an average receiving crew on the field you are going to see a lot of those balls hit the turf. If you watched the Rose bowl, think back to how many balls were snatched out of the air with the hands. But also, most of those throws are hitting guys in stride or in a position where they can go up and get the ball. Obviously there is room for much improvement on both ends.

Two questions about TM tonight, did he look like he was running really soft, he seemed to go down very easily. And on Abdullah's fumble (on which I believe any back in the country would have fumbled on, that was a hell of a hit), he didn't even seem to make an effort to try to recover.

Remember, didn't SC have one of the top passing defenses in the country? 10/16 with 3-4 drops vs this highly touted pass defense isn't that bad !!!

** Just a side note.... on the pick, I would have personally called for a QB draw and attempted the fg with 1 second left.... He will never be a great thrower like Luck, Weeden.... but, he can be a very good dual threat !!

Our program is nowhere near light years behind. People overreact after every loss and it is hilarious. You need to be honest with yourself about the players on the team. Average players don't win conference titles and most of the kids we have are average. Promising future on the team IMO

So you're saying we aren't far off yet have a team of average players. Do you think that getting a team of all-conference players happens over night then? We are a long ways off for the reason you just mentioned. Not to mention we're guaranteed yo get out coached 2-3 times a year. That didn't happen in the big 12 north, it will n big 10.

We lose 1 offensive player. So last time I checked overall we can't get worse here. Defensively we lose our 2 best players, but get 9 players back ( I don't count Cassidy). Getting Zaire and Mo is huge. You don't think Abdullah, Bell, Turner, young solid offensive line, Martinez, Taariq Allen, and few good DTs won't be better than the team we have now?

Taylor was 10/16 today, and he had 3-4 passes that were flat out dropped. That's a pretty accurate game for the QB. Like HANC said, that interception could have been a bad throw (which every QB makes from time to time), or that interception could have been a result of a bad route from the WR (either turning the wrong way, or going too deep on his route).

Nebraska was running the ball pretty well today and was even throwing the ball perfectly fine until it blew itself up with penalties. The answer to fixing the second half performance wasn't to have a better passing game - it's to stop committing false start penalties - if we do that, then we get into 3rd and manageable like we did throughout the first half, instead of being in 3rd and 20. Then we have to pass, and like you said about Bama - when you know someone's going to do something, it's easy to stop them.

16 pass attempts is a problem, when you recruit for a balanced offense. If we are going to recruit for a run heavy offense that would be fine, but we don't. We have studs at WR and we don't get the ball to them. Agreed the false starts are bad, but those are going to happen. We need to have an offense that overcome for its shortcomings, because there is no such thing as a perfect game.

Any idea what our receivers YAC are? I remember very few that the receivers really got positive YAC all season. Completions only tell part of the equation. Does the QB hit the receiver in stride, allow YAC etc.....

Remember, didn't SC have one of the top passing defenses in the country? 10/16 with 3-4 drops vs this highly touted pass defense isn't that bad !!!

** Just a side note.... on the pick, I would have personally called for a QB draw and attempted the fg with 1 second left.... He will never be a great thrower like Luck, Weeden.... but, he can be a very good dual threat !!

I think those numbers are skewed because the SEC it not a pass happy league, and if you have faith in your passing game you don't change for the defense (i.e. Stanford knows OSU is going to pass, and Stanford still can't do anything about it).

Any idea what our receivers YAC are? I remember very few that the receivers really got positive YAC all season. Completions only tell part of the equation. Does the QB hit the receiver in stride, allow YAC etc.....

YAC isn't great. If Taylor hit receivers in stride more, we would be better off. But that's a long, long ways from the reason we lost the game. Our drives weren't ending because of YAC - they were ending because of drops.

My land, you could probably say we are about 5-10 swing plays away from having one of the better 4 years in the whole country under Pelini. It's not a talent issue, it's not a coaching issue. It's a leadership and focus issue (guess it could fall under coaching to an extent) I never felt today like we were over matched by all this "oh my god it's the SEC :ahhhhhhhh ". Some little things just need fixed to make all the difference in the world.