Jason Peter on Bo Pelini

DId you also see the segment: Welcome to my Office on BTN? I guess he was really good on that show as well (My husband watched it and said that is a side of Bo that most people don't get to see.)

I saw that show on BTN. During the episode, the reporter asked Bo a question about his Father and something about what he remembered about him or something, I don't remember the exact question. Bo went on to answer the question by saying that his Father fought in WWII and Bo thought, I repeat THOUGHT he had fought in the Battle of the Bulge. The Battle of the Bulge was the largest and probably worst battle in all of WWII. You either KNOW your Father fought in it or you don't. Bo was simply making up random BS that sounded good.

I thought Bo Pelini was an idiot after watching that show.

Not to derail the thread, but what??? My grandfather fought in World War II, and he never talks about the war. I remember asking my dad - "Dad, do you know what battles grandpa fought in the war?" to which my dad replied he never really asked and grandpa never really talked about it. Harping on Pelini for not knowing his father's World War II history is a complete BS thing to criticize Pelini for. Some people just didn't and still don't talk about it. My dad knows very little about my grandpa's war history - that doesn't make him a bad person.

A lot of vets don't want to think about it. Some things are best left unsaid. God bless them all.

Hey everybody, the former heroin/cocaine addict thinks that our current coach is embarrassing the program by yelling at the refs too much.

I also like it when fans of other programs come in to tell us about the history and tradition of Nebraska football, and how we're not living up to it. Not pretentious at all...

You're calling other fans pretentious while you completely discount his opinion because he's a former drug addict? Hmm.

I don't discount his opinion. Just pointing out the blatant irony in Jason Peter telling people they should behave themselves.

Hey everybody, the former heroin/cocaine addict thinks that our current coach is embarrassing the program by yelling at the refs too much.

I also like it when fans of other programs come in to tell us about the history and tradition of Nebraska football, and how we're not living up to it. Not pretentious at all...

You're calling other fans pretentious while you completely discount his opinion because he's a former drug addict? Hmm.

I don't discount his opinion. Just pointing out the blatant irony in Jason Peter telling people they should behave themselves.

agree.

Fine, we've established the fact that Peters going off on Bo would be like Gordon Gecko calling Bernie Madoff dirty.

It comes down to this, we've got Bo for another few years. In that time he's got two options. Either get his sh#t together, and return Nebraska to being more relevant or doing what he is now, and have flashes of greatness, but hovering in the middle of the pack of the 2nd tier teams and coming up short and letting this team be it's own worst enemy.

Bo has a hell of a task ahead of him, and here in the next couple seasons, we'll see if he's truly able to live up to what he's expected out of this team...

Fine, we've established the fact that Peters going off on Bo would be like Gordon Gecko calling Bernie Madoff dirty.

It comes down to this, we've got Bo for another few years. In that time he's got two options. Either get his sh#t together, and return Nebraska to being more relevant or doing what he is now, and have flashes of greatness, but hovering in the middle of the pack of the 2nd tier teams and coming up short and letting this team be it's own worst enemy.

Bo has a hell of a task ahead of him, and here in the next couple seasons, we'll see if he's truly able to live up to what he's expected out of this team...

This is funny. :ahhhhhhhh an ultimatum from a fan. I'm sure he's concerned now.

This is funny. :ahhhhhhhh an ultimatum from a fan. I'm sure he's concerned now.

not an ultimatum sports fan, just my observation...

pump the brakes a little, you'll be ok

And I'm just pointing out the irony of you calling SC fans pretentious for presuming to know Husker history, then discrediting someone for mistake they've made in the past.

I'm not saying I agree or disagree with what he said, what we think matters even less. But the dude is entitled to an opinion. He's got the pedigree as a former Husker - and a great on at that - to go on the air and be listened to by the masses. A lot of people get bent out of shape about how blunt and up front Jason is. He's a guy who doesn't give a damn about semantics, pleasantries, superficiality, all those PC things, you get that loud and clear from reading his book. He's not going to put up any sort of front to try to get people to like him (And I think that's obvious by now.)

Here's my question: What if Mike'l Severe makes the same remark about Pelini? I know many of HB doesn't like him because he's admittedly not a Husker fan and doesn't say everything through a red microphone, but he doesn't have the addiction-riddled past the Jason Peter does either. What if Kugler makes that comment? Or a national guy like Gregg Doyel or Pat Forde?

And I'm just pointing out the irony of you calling SC fans pretentious for presuming to know Husker history, then discrediting someone for mistake they've made in the past.

That's not lining up quite right in my head... I think it would be ironic if I called SC fans pretentious for presuming to know Husker history better than I did, and then went on to lecture Jason Peter on the risks of drug use. It would be ironic if I called SC fans pretentious for presuming to know Husker history better than I did, and then went on to claim to know more about football than Jason Peter. But Jason Peter wasn't commenting on football. He was commenting on character.

I'm not saying I agree or disagree with what he said, what we think matters even less. But the dude is entitled to an opinion. He's got the pedigree as a former Husker - and a great on at that - to go on the air and be listened to by the masses. A lot of people get bent out of shape about how blunt and up front Jason is. He's a guy who doesn't give a damn about semantics, pleasantries, superficiality, all those PC things, you get that loud and clear from reading his book. He's not going to put up any sort of front to try to get people to like him (And I think that's obvious by now.)

Here's my question: What if Mike'l Severe makes the same remark about Pelini? I know many of HB doesn't like him because he's admittedly not a Husker fan and doesn't say everything through a red microphone, but he doesn't have the addiction-riddled past the Jason Peter does either. What if Kugler makes that comment? Or a national guy like Gregg Doyel or Pat Forde?

If Mike'l Severe or Kugler or Doyel or Forde made the same remark about Pelini, it wouldn't be as ironic as Jason Peter making it. The entire reason Jason Peter's remark is ironic is his checkered past. You've got a guy with a morally dubious past calling out a head coach whose biggest crime is yelling at the refs while looking a little too much like Voldemort. I wasn't trying to "discredit" Jason Peter's opinion, I was making a joke, because the situation is ironic. Jason Peter is completely entitled to his opinion, just like the rest of us are completely entitled to call him a blowhard when we think his opinion is stupid. I don't even think his opinion is that stupid in this case, but he's still a pretty big blowhard (and hey - that's why he was good on talk radio. See Rush Limbaugh...).

I also didn't call South Carolina fans pretentious for presuming to know Husker history. Lots of people know Husker history. What I find pretentious is for them to come on to a Husker board to teach Husker fans a lesson about Husker history.

I never got the idea he was trying to teach anyone anything. His perception of Coach Pelini is what he was relaying. That perception is a growing history of Bo. Most fans that have any idea who he is, have that perception of him. We seem to protect and look away whe it comes to his sideline actions, media interviews and referee bashing. Others are not going to do that, and it is and will be used against him recruiting is my guess.

Bo maybe dynamic enough to overcome the preception of him in the recruits home, but as the history end events grow he will not. It does not put the University in a good light by any means. It will have an affect on the some of the boosters if it continues. Now I will say if he starts winning, those perceptions in house will not have the affect that the could if he does not move the program to where the fans desire it to be.

Personally I like his fire and drive, but with the win loss record, failing to win games we should, it is not a plus for him. He has worked on it no question and is a lot better than very early in his career here, but it is a trait that he has and has had since his first arrival at Nebraska.

I think a lot of problem with the program are mental right now--not athletes, not coaching. we have good athletes, good enough staff and coaches...good enough to stay top 10-15 consistently. we execute very well at times which shows what is possible, then melt down when a slight headwind comes along which exposes a mental weakness.

I wonder (even dream)what it would be like if Tom and Bo decided to fix just one thing in the offseason. that one thing would be the mental makeup and mental response of the program to everything from top to bottom.how bo handles the press, how he handles the fans, how the team/Bo views and deals with adversity. if his team had the mental makeup of TO's teams...not the athletes, just the mentality, i think we beat NW, play closer with Wisky(they probably still beat us but not near as bad), play closer and maybe beat Michigan, and play closer and very possibly beat SC. maybe we are 11-2 and looking at a top 12 ranking, played in a B1G championship, easier recruiting and better offseason....instead we may be out of the top 25 and are becoming much more nervous about our future...

Maybe just fixing one thing...and its a tall order...would fix a lot of things.

• Fire 2

Not to derail the thread, but what??? My grandfather fought in World War II, and he never talks about the war. I remember asking my dad - "Dad, do you know what battles grandpa fought in the war?" to which my dad replied he never really asked and grandpa never really talked about it. Harping on Pelini for not knowing his father's World War II history is a complete BS thing to criticize Pelini for. Some people just didn't and still don't talk about it. My dad knows very little about my grandpa's war history - that doesn't make him a bad person.

Try reading the last few posts above yours. Reading usually helps you understand the context of the topic being discussed.

I also bet your dad doesn't go around telling people that his dad fought in The Battle of the Bulge.

I did, but I still don't see the point in criticizing Pelini about it. You found the most arbitrary aspect of the entire interview and are using it as a means of hefty criticism. So what if he doesn't know for certain? A head football coach not knowing specific details of his father's service doesn't exactly tilt the needle on my give-a-damn meter. In fact, it doesn't even twitch it. He's not some credited scholar talking about WWII history - he's a football coach reminiscing about his father. But if you find that as something worthy of judging someone, then far be it from me to stop you.

Try reading the last few posts above yours. Reading usually helps you understand the context of the topic being discussed.

I also bet your dad doesn't go around telling people that his dad fought in The Battle of the Bulge.

It's still a silly thing to get worked up over, even in that context.

Just curious, how many people bashing Jason Peter now were cheering him on when he was taking Callahan to task for his coaching performance?

I don't remember him taking Callahan to task for his demeanor. I remember Peter taking Callahan to task because the defense was terrible on the field. I've always thought that Peter was at least entertaining, and I still think it's interesting to get his take on football. I think it'd be interesting to hear him talk about this year's team, especially the defense.

But, in this case, he wasn't talking about football. He wasn't talking about pad level or gap technique or anything, he was just calling the head coach a name and questioning his character. I have no interest in listening to Jason Peter when it comes to character assessment, especially when he's criticizing a guy for yelling at the refs. If Bo had pulled a Bob Knight and thrown a chair across the field, I'd get it. But he was just yelling at the ref the same way every coach does, and the same way that I've seen about 3 dozen overzealous dads yelling at the ref during their 7 year old's soccer game. It's getting blown out of proportion.