Jason Peter on Bo Pelini

You know I often wonder with all these people complaining about how Bo acts on the sidelines...........................DID THEY EVER PLAY FOOTBALL!? Every football coach I had would scream and yell and get in peoples faces. I loved those coaches, they fired me up............I'd rather have someone like Bo than someone like Kirk Ferentz. When Callahan was here everyone complained that he didn't show any emotion on the sideline and they wanted more fire, now we get it and we complain about that as well. Good god it never ends.

You know I often wonder with all these people complaining about how Bo acts on the sidelines...........................DID THEY EVER PLAY FOOTBALL!? Every football coach I had would scream and yell and get in peoples faces. I loved those coaches, they fired me up............I'd rather have someone like Bo than someone like Kirk Ferentz. When Callahan was here everyone complained that he didn't show any emotion on the sideline and they wanted more fire, now we get it and we complain about that as well. Good god it never ends.

There's a difference between "fire" and losing your composure. Yelling and screaming at refs with that retard mean face he makes is not productive in any way. My highschool coach was intense and had that fire. He managed it well.

@ Bye Bye Big XII

What are you talkng about? Of course he wouldn't be ranting if we were winning 10 or 11 games a year and have a chance at playing for a NC and consistently playing the the BCS Bowls. That's the whole reason he is ranting.... we aren't playing for any of that, hence his ranting!? lol! What aren't you getting here?

What I'm getting at is that this whole thing is a double standard. Oh yes it's fine if Nebraska is winning games, then Pelini's behavior is okay. If Nebraska isn't winning games, then it must be because of Pelini's character.

The point is: Bo Pelini is the same person no matter if the Huskers are winning or if they are losing. So the people who have a problem with Pelini's attitudes should always have a problem with it, win or lose. But they don't. They would be all okay and happy with Bo if Nebraska was winning.

Double standards much?

Bingo.

NU runs the table with Bo and all the haters will only hear an overwhelming STFU.

There's a difference between "fire" and losing your composure. Yelling and screaming at refs with that retard mean face he makes is not productive in any way. My highschool coach was intense and had that fire. He managed it well.

The thing is people getting all pissed off about it need to look in the mirror. How were they when Bo went crazy on the aTm officials last season? Was it acceptable then? Because if it was why isn't it acceptable now? Probably because everyone thought different of Bo during that time and wanted him to do what he did. He was a fraction of that coach in the Capitol One Bowl. He yelled at the refs, and rightfully so, only the one time during that game, from what I remember.

Had my uncle (who has quite a few years of 'Husker watching experience and wisdom on me...) say this the other day:

"Bo Pelini's sideline demeanor is very similar to that of (Bob) Devaney's. Bo isn't saying anything or doing anything that Devaney didn't say or do himself.

It's just that Bo doesn't make nice with the officials after or before the game, and Bob didn't have TV cameras on him all game, every game, to capture his every move."

I personally don't have the experience with the Devaney-era to validate such a statement, but it does make sense to me, to some degree. I would like to hear from some other Nebraska fans that have Devaney-era experience to see if my uncle's recollections are valid.

Well I guess no one wants to answer your question, maybe the 90's fans control most of the post, on here now. lol..

Yes Bob and Bo were and are a lot alike. Big difference, no Internet and TV coverage like today. Bob could go on his sideline rants, just like Bo but you didn't see it much, unless you were at the games. Poking a finger into a players chest forget it lol, slapping them upside the helmet was Bob's way of getting his point across. You knew who was in charge when he walked on the field, or into a press conference. The big difference between Bob D and Bo IMO is, Bob knew how to address the media and fans, Bo is still working on this part. Lot of the stuff I heard was coming from my dad and his friends, Lot of the stuff I saw was from being at the games. My best friend and I used to be right in the middle of the players on the sidelines, watching the game, try that today,lol....Was a great time to be a kid.

GBR!!!

It really just comes down to managing the frustration, which he has gotten better at I think. If we get hit with a penalty, it does no good to yell at the refs for not calling a penalty against us that went unnoticed during the same play, which Sam McKewon said happened in the bowl game.

Ultimately, however, I think too little blame is focused on the players. I think there's a general lack of leadership on both sides of the ball. Sure, there are "leaders", but in the defenses case, the two biggest and most important ones are gone now. Players need to be more reliant on each other, more accountable for one another and less reliant on Pelini. If the team really goes as Pelini goes, then need to fix that among themselves. Nick Saban is just as fiery, if not worse, than Pelini sometimes. But, Saban's teams generally have better focus and keep things under control. It also doesn't hurt to be more talented than most of the teams you play, too.

I like Bo, always have, but in a way, isn't Peter somewhat right?

He is absolutely right. Bo's demeanor has a serious negative effect on the players. One of the many negative effects would be losing focus. It affects their mindset. I'm sick of people defending him. Bo is the main problem. I understand wanting your coach to have that fire, but Bo does it in a toxic way. I'm telling you, look at a majority of successful coaches. NFL or college. They are calm, cool and collected and display the right amount of fire at the right time. Bo is toxic.

Have you ever watched Nick Saban coach? If you have, you'd realize what you just said here is way off mark.

As someone pointed out, however, the difference is that Saban is older and far more experienced, and has a championship tied to him. He gets away with it. Saban is even worse than Pelini at times, yet I don't see people calling him a toxin. Why? Because he wins, but he also has a lot more reason to win because of his experience, his experienced coaching staff and the wealth of talent he has. Pelini doesn't have any of those three things, so he's doing what he can.

Saban doesn't have a vehement look on his face every single time he's got a mic in his face either. Bo however does and it doesnt bode very well for him. An increasing number of people have grown tired of the same old song and dance with Bo. "we didn't execute, we didn't play to our standard, any questions?", followed by seering looks at anyone who dares to ask him a question.

Saban doesn't have a vehement look on his face every single time he's got a mic in his face either. Bo however does and it doesnt bode very well for him. An increasing number of people have grown tired of the same old song and dance with Bo. "we didn't execute, we didn't play to our standard, any questions?", followed by seering looks at anyone who dares to ask him a question.

This kind of exaggeration is just silly. I don't see how this can be taken seriously by anyone who's watched Bo's pressers this year, or the majority of his in-game and post-game interviews. The vast majority of his time his demeanor is fine.

I do not buy that arguement about the war. I have fought in many major battles, and my wife, nor my son know anything about them. It is something that most veterans do not talk about, they just wanted it over. Most have no real pride in what they did, but are proud of this country and proud they defended it. It was a job that had to be done. Job over, forget about as quickly as possible was and is my moto.

No shame in what Bo said.

Polo I hope they are great and we get everyone we want. you know I truly do.

These things have grown and they are becoming history of Bo. They will only grow if it continues.

I do not live in Nebraska, and I hear it nearly every single day. I can not believe it is not being discussed in Nebraska. I would guess there are a lot of unhappy Nebraska fans, as it seems more are speaking out here about his actions. I know he is tracked by the media and TV. It is not fair, but that is the situation it seems.

I hope he makes it, not so much for his sake, but for Nebraska's sake.

this team nees a calm, competent leader......Pelini is not that guy and change does not seem forthcoming......if he wants TO's help/advice, he will have to ask for it, doesn't seem likely.

Perhaps we just have two very different perceptions of Bo Pelini. I've never seen anything close to what I would call a "vehement look" on Pelini's face during an interview. Furthermore, Pelini has never reached the level of Mike Gundy's post-game rant.

The truth of the matter is simple - if Pelini wins, nobody is going to give a damn about his sideline demeanor, his common (and by now should be no surprise) demeanor during interviews and his general personality. And honestly I see no way to debate this, because look at what happens after we lose - message boards overflow with Pelini criticism and reporters mention it in their articles. When we win, they become dormant. Look back on this board after the several big wins following the Wisconsin loss - where were the Pelini behavior threads and posts then? I'll tell you - they were irrelevant and non-existent.

This by no means excuses any kind of behavior, but such is the nature of the beast. If people don't like his answers by now, tough luck. It's been four years and nothing has changed in that area.

I like Bo, always have, but in a way, isn't Peter somewhat right?

He is absolutely right. Bo's demeanor has a serious negative effect on the players. One of the many negative effects would be losing focus. It affects their mindset. I'm sick of people defending him. Bo is the main problem. I understand wanting your coach to have that fire, but Bo does it in a toxic way. I'm telling you, look at a majority of successful coaches. NFL or college. They are calm, cool and collected and display the right amount of fire at the right time. Bo is toxic.

Have you ever watched Nick Saban coach? If you have, you'd realize what you just said here is way off mark.

As someone pointed out, however, the difference is that Saban is older and far more experienced, and has a championship tied to him. He gets away with it. Saban is even worse than Pelini at times, yet I don't see people calling him a toxin. Why? Because he wins, but he also has a lot more reason to win because of his experience, his experienced coaching staff and the wealth of talent he has. Pelini doesn't have any of those three things, so he's doing what he can.

So you're basically talking about the differences in looks, which sometimes are just determined genetically and not by any personal selection. Some people just look more approachable then others...but yes that is Bo's fault too. Damn his genetics.

I don't have a problem with that. Bo doesn't go out his way to be a nice guy. If success doesn't come he won't have as many people on his side as someone who isn't as irritating at times to the press, fans and officials. It's just a fact.

I can't get behind that. The few times I've met Coach Pelini he was very gracious, charming, and funny. He also has a firm handshake.

I've never met Bo but would like to. I disagree with the above as well only because the only 'view' we get of Bo is what the media decides to show us. I will forever have the post presser from this year's Penn State game engraved in my mind. If you didn't get a chance to see that-go find it on YouTube. What a humbled, vulnerable individual! Bo was so open and honest. I hope to see more of that side of Bo next year.

There's a lot to be said for a firm handshake. Back in the day, that's how you decided on the character of a man. I find it to still be true today. I would've loved it if my son had lived. His Dad and I would've taught him to always shake hands with a firm handshake.

When I was a Junior in high school a very good friend of mine passed away in an automobile accident. A few months later her dad was understandably very emotional at her would-be graduation. He was almost offended when I shook his hand. He gave me that "you're doing it wrong" look, grabbed my hand tightly and curtly said "shake my hand!". I don't know why that has stuck with me the way it has, but since then I've always made sure to shake hands like a man. Sorry for your loss.

I think Bo had done an adequate job. Nothing special unless you call a couple of close games more than that. I do think he has us headed in the right direction and if given the time will turn the corner to making us relevant again. I do not see us ever returning to the top of college football, no matter who was our coach, with the exception of Miles or Saben. Kiffen and Kelly in the second tier.

Bo has won most of the games he should have with a few exceptions along the way. He has never beaten or finished ahead of team he was not supposed to beat. That to me me is average at best. Bo has three victories over top 15 BCS teams, but at the end of the season finished behind them. Elite coaches do not do that. He has 4 years with 9 wins, but those victories have not been over eilite teams by any means and some of those teams, that would be considered low level tier 2 teams have given us some very tough games. Seldom does an elite/top coach have those problems. He has lost to several losing teams in his time here.

But in his defense, he is a young head coach, with absolutely no proven/battle won assistants. He is learning his trade at Nebraska and he is teaching others to do their jobs, and may not have the basic knowledge to do that. Most do not in their first HC gig. Most surround themselves with proven coaches to help them overcome obstacles that they have never faced. He does have Tom to help. Some question if he takes advantage of that Fort Knox coach down the hall. I think Bo is a smart man and that he does seek out Coach Osborne for help. If he does not, then the problems are far greater than I think.

Until the fan base understands where we are, what we have the expectations may be higher than they should be. We have not taken a step forward in the last two years, that again screams average.

But that is exactly what we are, a slightly above average program, with a new head coach, in a new tough conference in its furthest outreach area. We have problems recruiting under the best of circumstances and we have not had the big wins that turn recruits heads like back in the day.

My expectations of this team is to win the ones we should, never be laughed off the field and occasionally win a CCG and possibly play in a BCS game. I think that is where we are at now. With time we may move up the ladder, but we are never going to be like BAMA, LSU or USC again. Play respectable football, graduate our players and make great young men out of them I will be happy with Bo. At this point I am very happy overall with Bo. He took on a very tough job, is doing the best he can with what he has. Now if he would just take a class on winning friends it would help.