DT Toby Johnson *

Nexus

Just saw a tweet where he will not be graduating in December and will sign in the spring.

Is there qualification issues still with this player?

Ouch, that's severely going to hamper Mark Richt's oversigning this year.

Mark Richt for the last 10 years has been outspoken AGAINST oversigning and has been vocal against coaches in the SEC doing it.

And yet they've got 30 on their commit list and are still trying to add.

30 in itself isn't too high with attrition, but you're only allowed to add 25 each season. Even with only haven taken 19 last year and being able to use early enrollees on last year's total, their next commit is their last by that rule, and I highly doubt Toby is the last guy they are after.

So he is against "oversigning", but they sure aren't against making sure they get all 25 each year (which means that 15 kids from each class are either leaving to go Pro, or leaving the team by the time they should graduate. And that's not factoring in any redshirting.)

30 in itself isn't too high with attrition, but you're only allowed to add 25 each season. Even with only haven taken 19 last year and being able to use early enrollees on last year's total, their next commit is their last by that rule, and I highly doubt Toby is the last guy they are after.

So he is against "oversigning", but they sure aren't against making sure they get all 25 each year (which means that 15 kids from each class are either leaving to go Pro, or leaving the team by the time they should graduate. And that's not factoring in any redshirting.)

I'm not going to defend oversigning, but things to consider...there is attrition and they have a number of people that will go to the NFL after their junior year, not just graduating seniors. They took 19 last year as you stated, they could easily add 5 players to last year's list.

Plus, I don't know where this 25 number is coming from. I'm not going to look it up, but there are probably 40 teams that sign over 25 kids per year. Including NU this year. We will take up to 27 or 28 commits this year, are we oversigning???

I'm not a Georgia or Richt fan, but he has long been against oversigning and been very outspoken against it.

I'm not going to defend oversigning, but things to consider...there is attrition and they have a number of people that will go to the NFL after their junior year, not just graduating seniors. They took 19 last year as you stated, they could easily add 5 players to last year's list.

Plus, I don't know where this 25 number is coming from. I'm not going to look it up, but there are probably 40 teams that sign over 25 kids per year. Including NU this year. We will take up to 27 or 28 commits this year, are we oversigning???

I'm not a Georgia or Richt fan, but he has long been against oversigning and been very outspoken against it.

In the SEC, you can sign 25 players per year (whether the qualify or not). If you take 19 this year (2013), in 2014 you can take 31, provided that 6 of them are early enrollees so that they count against last years class.

If you sign 25 per year, then you have 100 every four years, with an 85 scholarship limit. Add in a few redshirts, and the number rises that need to leave to keep signing full classes.

Doing the math, let's say we have 85 scholarship players. I'll use Nebraska as the example. Out of our 85, we have 22 SRs that are graduating on scholarship (as far as I could tell). Some of them are walkons (Maher who got his as a JR, Choi, and Jackson) that are getting the scholarship because we weren't using it and had space, so we'll take them out, leaving 19. That means 6 kids need to leave early for the draft, or leave to stay under the limit.

Now, still using us as an example, we are expecting to take somewhere around 25 this year, meaning that around 3 guys are leaving. We took 17 last year, so if we found enough early enrollees, we could take 33 guys this year by the rules, but we'd have to expect another 7 guys to "leave", meaning 10 total players leave for the draft or other reasons this year.

When you start factoring in RS players being here an extra year, then you raise the number of guys who have to leave to be able to keep pulling in full classes of 25. Granted UGA is sending more guys to the NFL early than we are, but still, planning on almost 10 guys a year out of the system is a little high IMO. We seem to have had an exodus this year, and it's not close to that, much less an average.

The only reason I'm singling out UGA here is because it looks like that's where Johnson's going. The whole SEC does this, and a lot of other schools do too (USC to avoid their penalty limits). We don't seem to be as cut-throat in making kids leave if they don't play, which is why I feel as a Husker fan, we still have a (small) soap box to stand on in regards to this issue.

Richt is the Big-Boy School SEC coach I'd want if we had to pick one, so it's not an indictment on him, it's just the nature of the SEC beast.

Rodney Gardner, Georgia's defensive line coach and recruiting coordinator, is headed to Auburn. I don't think this would change anything, but did he sign yesterday?

The early JUCO signing period is for early enrollees only.

Toby is a spring grad, so he will sign in February

I wasn't sure when he was graduating. I was hoping he hadn't signed yet. Like I said, I don't think he'll reconsider. I just thought it would have sucked if his position coach and, I'm assuming, lead recruiter left the day after he signed.

Rodney Gardner, Georgia's defensive line coach and recruiting coordinator, is headed to Auburn. I don't think this would change anything, but did he sign yesterday?

The early JUCO signing period is for early enrollees only.

Toby is a spring grad, so he will sign in February

I wasn't sure when he was graduating. I was hoping he hadn't signed yet. Like I said, I don't think he'll reconsider. I just thought it would have sucked if his position coach and, I'm assuming, lead recruiter left the day after he signed.

Thats why these kids should never commit b/c of position coach or lead recruiter. Unless you are a head coach you are always looking for a promotion.

247 is saying another DT named Ben Bradley also from Hutchinson CC is coming for a visit with Johnson. Anything worth noting about this DT?

He is a 4-star guy. Commiteed to WVU out of high school. They are very good friends

And he is currently a soft commit to Tennessee. Pretty impressive offer list (Arizona, Arkansas, Georgia, Texas A&M as well as the obvious Tennessee and us to name a few). Lets take them both!

Bradley is looking around after Tenn coaching change and he's added NU back into the mix. Not sure he'll flip, but glad he's considering us again.

Sorry this is in TJ's thread, couldn't find Bradley's.

247 is saying another DT named Ben Bradley also from Hutchinson CC is coming for a visit with Johnson. Anything worth noting about this DT?

He is a 4-star guy. Commiteed to WVU out of high school. They are very good friends

And he is currently a soft commit to Tennessee. Pretty impressive offer list (Arizona, Arkansas, Georgia, Texas A&M as well as the obvious Tennessee and us to name a few). Lets take them both!

Bradley is looking around after Tenn coaching change and he's added NU back into the mix. Not sure he'll flip, but glad he's considering us again.

Sorry this is in TJ's thread, couldn't find Bradley's.

No, we are not in it. He's deciding between Mizzou and Tennessee on Wednesday, I believe.