Sipple suggests the Doc era is over........

Comish

TO was at Creighton game Saturday..... some speculation that he was taking an up close look at Wichita State coach Gregg Marshall. Just the word around Omaha Saturday night. No source, No reason to believe that this was anything more than speculation on behalf of a handful of people. Just a few of the people are so-called "in the know".... or at least think they are (ha)

** This is not intended to start rumor, just giving information !

The thing I've always liked about Sipple is his level-headedness. He says the things that should be said. Sometimes that doesn't please the sky-is-falling crowd because the tenor of his articles are more upbeat than they're feeling after a football loss. Because of this, Sip is often pegged as a fan-boy rather than a reporter. Bottom line is, Sip tends to see things from a much keener perspective than the fan in the stands. He is more fair than many of the other journalists covering Husker sports. And while it's painful to read an article like this, I think it is also a fair analysis of the state of the program.

You know things are sour when Sip starts writing things like this. Sip almost always has a more positive outlook than most people.

TO was at Creighton game Saturday..... some speculation that he was taking an up close look at Wichita State coach Gregg Marshall. Just the word around Omaha Saturday night. No source, No reason to believe that this was anything more than speculation on behalf of a handful of people. Just a few of the people are so-called "in the know".... or at least think they are (ha)

Well he picked the right game to go to. Like I told PaulCrewe, WSU could have shot the ball over their head and it would have went in. It was an unbelievable offensive performance by the Shockers, so Im sure TO was impressed if he was actually there to scout their coach.

Well he picked the right game to go to. Like I told PaulCrewe, WSU could have shot the ball over their head and it would have went in. It was an unbelievable offensive performance by the Shockers, so Im sure TO was impressed if he was actually there to scout their coach.

That was no sh#t. I couldn't believe how well they were playing. I am betting TO will want to see a game to where they are in a close battle or defeat to see how Marshall handles himself as well as the team. Or anycoaches for that matter I guess, IF he is looking -_-

Wow....... today's Omaha Paper has an article written by Lee Barfnecht (don't always agree with, but typically fairly accurate in predictions/projections) almost has Doc cleaning out his office.. The article is basically saying that Doc is gone. I know that this is just a journalist selling papers, but even made a statement to the effect:.... that Doc deserves a graceful, respected FINAL MONTH.

** who knows ?

Wow....... today's Omaha Paper has an article written by Lee Barfnecht (don't always agree with, but typically fairly accurate in predictions/projections) almost has Doc cleaning out his office.. The article is basically saying that Doc is gone. I know that this is just a journalist selling papers, but even made a statement to the effect:.... that Doc deserves a graceful, respected FINAL MONTH.

** who knows ?

Please, Please, Please, Please, Please

** who knows ?

I caught that, too. The verbatim line is:

"Doc Sadler deserves as respectful a final month at Nebraska as its fans and the state can muster." LINK

Most likely he's speculating, but it would make sense at this point. The program is as bad as it's ever been right now.

Should Sadler be fired, Nebraska would owe him $67,667 per month, or about $800,000 annually, for his remaining contract. That's nearly double from the previous $35,417 monthly, or about $425,000 annually.

This is what pisses me off. WHY do we give a guy a contact extension, only to fire him a few short months later? This is squarely on Osborne. Did he learn nothing from the Callahan debacle? Imagine where we'd be if we didn't give Doc the extension and guarantees, and we had that extra $425/k to add to the next guy's salary. (I realize it would be less--actually about $200k.) We could attract some fine coaching talent with the extra dough that is headed out the door with Doc. This is an example of very poor management skills by our AD.

Should Sadler be fired, Nebraska would owe him $67,667 per month, or about $800,000 annually, for his remaining contract. That's nearly double from the previous $35,417 monthly, or about $425,000 annually.

This is what pisses me off. WHY do we give a guy a contact extension, only to fire him a few short months later? This is squarely on Osborne. Did he learn nothing from the Callahan debacle? Imagine where we'd be if we didn't give Doc the extension and guarantees, and we had that extra $425/k to add to the next guy's salary. (I realize it would be less--actually about $200k.) We could attract some fine coaching talent with the extra dough that is headed out the door with Doc. This is an example of very poor management skills by our AD.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I thought that I read somewhere not long ago, that Bo's buyout is less than Doc's..... If this is true, it makes no sense to me. Yes, Bo has many faults, but has put 9-10 wins on the board every year and ranks right up with the "greats" as far as 1st four year record... Doc has done squat !!! Bo's name always seems to pop up with vacancies...... other coaches like Doc, but I don't hear his name as much as Bo.

Now, this might be because it's basketball and this is Nebraska (reason why we don't hear it as much)..

Is this because TO likes Doc, and everyone has always questioned TO and Bo's relationship?

Well, you can't really argue with anything that was said in the article. It was pretty well-written and realistic (I know how much everybody loves that word).

I could see this situation going either way. 3.4 Million is a lot of money to pay someone just to fire them, as it was with Callahan. I'm definitely in agreement with Sipple: contract buyouts are beyond me. You would think that they would put a clause in the contract that says that a sub-.500 record qualifies as reasonable cause for termination and nullifies the buyout. But hey, I'm not the one who writes the contracts or hires the coaches.

Anyways, it has been said a lot in the past couple months. Doc is a really likeable guy, but he just hasn't built the kind of team that I believed he would build in 6 years time. Whatever decision that is made, I will be behind 100%.

Anyone read the Barfy article in the OWH regarding possible successors to Doc?

Of note:

Altman, 53, grew up near Lincoln and has told friends through the years that Nebraska was a job he always wanted. Altman was at Creighton the last two times the position opened, but neither Nebraska A.D. at the time — Bill Byrne, Steve Pederson — contacted him. Love for his home state might temper Altman's concerns about the absence of an athletic director succession plan.

Still, he is paid $1.8 million a year at Oregon — double Sadler's current NU salary — and has a $1.8 million buyout if he left for another job. And among Husker fans, how much does Altman really move the needle in interest?

Kansas' Joe Dooley.

Dooley, 48, is a New Jersey native and a graduate of George Washington. In 2010, foxsports.com ranked him No. 1 in its list of Top 25 High-Major Assistants. He also has head coaching experience at East Carolina in the mid-1990s. In his nine years at Kansas, Dooley has turned down mid-major head coaching jobs. But he would be interested in Nebraska.

Why? KU coach Bill Self likes to re-tool his staff semi-regularly just to stay fresh. Plus, with KU and NU no longer in the same league, Self and Dooley — great friends — wouldn't have to worry about coaching or recruiting against each other.

More here:

http://www.omaha.com/article/20120213/BIGRED/702139860