Cam Meredith talks coach Kaz

I'm thinking the head-butting is to get the players to fire off the ball, and by using your force that you hit them with you are able to create that separation. You should be able to get the same amount of separation as just standing up with your arms extended, but by firing off the ball, we can re-establish the line of scrimmage either at or behind the original LOS instead of just standing up and getting blown off the ball, which happen to our D-line way too often last year.

This. More chances to create penetration.

I'm thinking the head-butting is to get the players to fire off the ball, and by using your force that you hit them with you are able to create that separation. You should be able to get the same amount of separation as just standing up with your arms extended, but by firing off the ball, we can re-establish the line of scrimmage either at or behind the original LOS instead of just standing up and getting blown off the ball, which happen to our D-line way too often last year.

This. More chances to create penetration.

This above. I think it was Kaz's way of saying that our guys do not fire off the ball. A polite way of calling them out by trying to introduce a concept that seems to be lacking since SUH left. I think he is asking the guys to explode like a missile into the O line and disrupt them instead of staying 2 yrds off the ball and trying to hold their gap. If you have ever used the head butt, it is done in an attacking mode, not passively. It is an offensive weapon. It is straight up mean and nasty. It is up close and personal.

l

Good point. It should help with stopping the run as well if we can push their guys back and get to the RB quicker.

Sounds like Kaz is giving the DL an added dimension to their existing skillset. I'm all for looking at things from another angle that could give the team an advantageous edge to their game.

One thing NFL scouts raved about with Suh and Crick was their hand placement technique. I recall Suh praising Carl for the dramatic improvement in his game between his Jr. and Sr. year because of sound hand placement. It made all the difference in the world for him. That's just one example of a particular technique that'll continue to be taught as a Pelini standard since it's quite important in trench battle. I'm guessing Kaz will do his best to marry his own concepts/nuances to the existing ones taught by Pelini without it being a hindrance to the learning process. At least that's what I'm hoping for anyway.

That's really dumb. Making contact with the head, hello concussion and more head injuries. Also, allowing a OL to get into your body makes it easier for them to hold you and get away with it. Our DL should be firing off the ball and using their hands to keep blockers off of them. It's no wonder our DL essentially sucked last season.

Unless you get hit under the chin or speared in the side of the helmet you're probably not going to get a concussion form hitting heads on the line.You really dated yourself with the head slap comment, that's been outlawed for a long time. It's probably a better way for someone to get a concussion than "head butting", which is probably a poor choice of words by Cam. I think they are probably being taught to make first contact with the helmet more so than head butt the guy.

If you look at any outstanding middle linebacker or D lineman you'll notice that there helmet is scarred up pretty good and it's always from making contact with the other guys helmet. We were always taught that when shading a man to attack the offensive lineman in the V of the neck in the direction we wanted to control. Essentially attack leading with the head up into the armpit just under the chin and your hands on his breast plate inside and outside, once you make contact you basically bench press them to get separation and control, and shuck him when you know where you need to go. The point of leading with the head is to gain more leverage. If you come in lower than your man with your head up you have all your momentum concentrated in that small area and it's much easier to drive up and through him and hopefully knock him off balance so you can have your way with him.

So jsneb83 is right it helps to create separation and reestablish the LOS, but I would argue *WARNING SCIENCE AHEAD* that you generate more Power (Power = Work/Time) by engaging with your head and then pressing the defender away because you have increased the amount of Work (Work = Force x Distance) done by increasing the distance over which the Force was applied (Force = Mass x Acceleration). Nerdy I know, but football is all about physics.

I was watching more of the [players'] technique, but you can see similarities," Meredith said. "For example, Coach Kaz wants us to make contact with our head, head-butt them more and get separation.

That's really dumb. Making contact with the head, hello concussion and more head injuries. Also, allowing a OL to get into your body makes it easier for them to hold you and get away with it. Our DL should be firing off the ball and using their hands to keep blockers off of them. It's no wonder our DL essentially sucked last season.

Go apply for the DLine job then. You are a tard. excuse me for calling him out, and I didn't even read after this post, but this makes me give myself a facepalm. I forgot how much I hate ignorant people.

I played DT in high school and one thing I was taught was at the snap to use the base of the palm to smack the OL in the head and then transition to the hands to keep the blocker off of me. Basically an OL can't block me if they can't get their hands on me. I mean I'm willing to give Kaz the benefit of the doubt but I'm not liking what I'm hearing.

Wow this might be the funniest thing ive read on here. If coach would have put me in 4th quarter we would have taken state.....no doubt in my mind. Good one uncle Rico.

• Fire 1

Unless you get hit under the chin or speared in the side of the helmet you're probably not going to get a concussion form hitting heads on the line.You really dated yourself with the head slap comment, that's been outlawed for a long time. It's probably a better way for someone to get a concussion than "head butting", which is probably a poor choice of words by Cam. I think they are probably being taught to make first contact with the helmet more so than head butt the guy.

If you look at any outstanding middle linebacker or D lineman you'll notice that there helmet is scarred up pretty good and it's always from making contact with the other guys helmet. We were always taught that when shading a man to attack the offensive lineman in the V of the neck in the direction we wanted to control. Essentially attack leading with the head up into the armpit just under the chin and your hands on his breast plate inside and outside, once you make contact you basically bench press them to get separation and control, and shuck him when you know where you need to go. The point of leading with the head is to gain more leverage. If you come in lower than your man with your head up you have all your momentum concentrated in that small area and it's much easier to drive up and through him and hopefully knock him off balance so you can have your way with him.

So jsneb83 is right it helps to create separation and reestablish the LOS, but I would argue *WARNING SCIENCE AHEAD* that you generate more Power (Power = Work/Time) by engaging with your head and then pressing the defender away because you have increased the amount of Work (Work = Force x Distance) done by increasing the distance over which the Force was applied (Force = Mass x Acceleration). Nerdy I know, but football is all about physics.

Maybe not a concussion but I remember this article http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/14/sports/14football.html?_r=1

Quote:

The idea that C.T.E. can stem from hits below the level of concussion — which are endemic to football and all but impossible for doctors to see or manage — is relatively new. Ever since C.T.E. in professional football players began making national headlines in early 2007, it has generally been ascribed to mistreated or at least cumulative concussions, for which awareness and education can be an antidote.

I haven't seen any recent results from a definitive study. There probably isn't a complete study since only a post-mortem examination of the brain can determine if they suffered from this affliction. Coaching head to head butting may not be wise. What do I know though? Many years since I played, I'd probably be smacking OL heads with my palm. :) I worry that future studies will show that football is too dangerous to play at all. Not sure what I'd do if I couldn't watch N play each fall. :ohnoes:ahhhhhhhh If I recall correctly, Teddy Roosevelt threatened to have football banned unless it could be made safer. Someone should start a thread on this issue. I'd be interested in people's own playing experience, coached techniques and thoughts. My cousin probably suffered some brain damage from football. He got his bell rung during a game and his parents woke to him trying to tackle the refrigerator in the middle of the night. He had no idea what he was doing but reportedly had good tackling form.

^ was going to say the same thing. I've read where repeated smaller blows to the head are far more dangerous and damaging long term than a small number of large concussive blows. rarely do OL/DL suffer concussions...but they are the some of the highest at risk for long term damage

Small blows, big blows, or just plain getting blown the f#*k up!

Those hit's make you never want to play the Big Red again.

Ummm.... OK!!

948fe399-1082-4547-87d2-f0f9c2c7da66.jpg