Quarterback competition?

Honestly at this point I would like to have a change of pace guy to bring in at times that knows the offense like that back of his hand and can chuck the ball around the yard. Obviously having a guy like Martinez that has the athleticism to take it to the house on any given play is a major asset to have but I would like to see a guy more like Joe Ganz who can run the zone read and the option and may not be able to take it to the house but are effective while having the understanding of the offense to throw the ball with a very high completion percentage and distribute the ball to our play makers! When I think of Beck's offense I can't help but think of a guy like Reesing at Kansas or Joe Ganz, not the fastest guys but certainly capable of running the ball while possessing the threat to throw the ball 10 consecutive times in a hurry up situation or to push tempo. I don't claim to know a lot about football but if I were a coach that is what I would be looking for more than a guy who has Tmarts athleticism.

Although I like RK3, I don't see him ever moving higher than third string. If our offense was like the 2008 offense, maybe, because he has a pretty good arm and he's got good accuracy. But from the limited tape we have on him, he's not on par with Martinez or Carnes athletically, and this offense asks the quarterback to effectively move the ball with his feet. Can he do that? I don't think as well as the other two guys - but, unfortunately, we don't have a lot to look at.

Furthermore, most of the information I've seen coming out this spring says Carnes is working on the mental side of the game and that he's feeling more comfortable now. Quote from Pelini.

"I think he's recognizing coverages a lot better. He's a lot more comfortable obviously in the system. I think he knows a lot of times now when to make checks. Sometimes he maybe doesn't get to the exact check we want him to but that's to be expected to a certain extent because we're really not game-planning against each other. I'm kind of liking some of the things I'm seeing out there out of Brion."

Another quote from LJS article.

Carnes said his chief goal heading into this spring was learning how to better read defenses. "Knowing where to go with the ball," he said. "And not just running plays but running the offense." So far, he's been mostly satisfied. So have his coaches.

Again, I like RK3, but I don't know if his skill sets really put him in a position to be the back-up. The coaches have already proven they'll go with the more athletic quarterback over a guy who has the better arm.

Unless Martinez gets hurt no one is going to get snaps. Discussion over

Honestly, the most accurate post I have read in quite some time. So far, Bo has shown a desire or predisposition to not have anyone, but the starters take meaningful snaps.

I liked an article about our O line developing depth by having the guys run 8-9 plays and then bring in the 2's. Garrison said their old way (3 plays and switch) developed a 3 and out mentality on O and also did not get the guys in "game shape" to run a significant number of plays full speed in a real game. He said this will improve their game conditioning.

We need to desperately get a bona fide #2 who can

a) push Martinez

b) give a change of pace if the D is teeing off on Martinez

c) have a guy ready if Martinez gets hurt who can actually come in and play at a high level with the same knowledge of the O as Martinez

d) have a guy who the coaches can come in who they feel can play to win as opposed to sending in a guy whom the staff has play to not lose

I could care less if the #2 is RKIII, Carnes, Armstrong or anyone so long as this guy is capable of winning.

Honestly, the most accurate post I have read in quite some time. So far, Bo has shown a desire or predisposition to not have anyone, but the starters take meaningful snaps.

I liked an article about our O line developing depth by having the guys run 8-9 plays and then bring in the 2's. Garrison said their old way (3 plays and switch) developed a 3 and out mentality on O and also did not get the guys in "game shape" to run a significant number of plays full speed in a real game. He said this will improve their game conditioning.

a) push Martinez

c) have a guy ready if Martinez gets hurt who can actually come in and play at a high level with the same knowledge of the O as Martinez

d) have a guy who the coaches can come in who they feel can play to win as opposed to sending in a guy whom the staff has play to not lose

I could care less if the #2 is RKIII, Carnes, Armstrong or anyone so long as this guy is capable of winning.

Great summary. I especially like getting the O -line more than 3 snaps at a shot..........

a) push Martinez

AGREE BIG TIME!!! This is something we have been missing for quite a while now. We really need a number 2 that the coaches trust to come in and take meaningful snaps. Gotta get backups some experience so we don't have to go through growing pains every time a qb graduates. How hard is it do get the back up a few snaps in a game where the game is decided. I am not saying pulling the starter in the middle of the 1st half but gotta get younger guys who you think could be the guy in the future some experience before he has to be the guy!