To be fair, and I am not impressed with this game at all so far, BUT...

All the videos and screens we are seeing right now are for hype purposes only and are actually running on old code, old animations, old graphics, etc. so of course it will look like '12 at present.

To be fair, and I am not impressed with this game at all so far, BUT...

All the videos and screens we are seeing right now are for hype purposes only and are actually running on old code, old animations, old graphics, etc. so of course it will look like '12 at present.

Was just about to say that. What they show now, graphically, will not look anything like what it will be on release. From what I've seen, it looks like they might have fixed the psychic DB problems that have plagued this game for years and years, and it looks like they've given the QB the ability to throw it a multitude of different ways and while on the run. Also, it appears that you won't be able to throw it to just any receiver (which if true is kind of lame for me because it "dumbs" the game down).

All in all, if what they promise they deliver, the game may turn out to be a better game play experience. Should it have been in there earlier? Hell yes.

But it's looking like it will be in the game. Now if EA can maintain their awesome track record of consistency and not put out a game riddled with bugs or riddled with problems which were not present in prior years' games, '13 might turn out okay, even above average.

Unfortunately, knowing EA, that won't happen.

From what I've read, graphically speaking, they're using the exact same engine as they did for '11 and '12, so the changes aren't going to be drastically different even when they update everything. '11 and '12 used the same engine and the differences between those two are interesting, but minimal. It's not going to be an impressive leap. Even the updated lighting and field turf in '12 were barely noticeable unless you went into replay, but who cares about replay. We want updates on the field, not in the booth.

Yes, yes, yes - the new throwing trajectories will be super neat and so will the updated secondary coverage (if it actually works). Multiple throwing trajectories should have been available from day one in the new engine. They weren't. DB's shouldn't have been able to ghost slide five yards in any direction from the beginning. They could.

They fix issues, let old ones persist or let former - lesser known issues - becomes game ruining. Even their supposed "patches" are worthless.

I'll reserve complete judgement until probably next December, after they've had time to "patch" everything and I can read enough reviews to make my eyes boil. But, I'm still reading about the same problems from games in years past in the most "updated" versions. EA Tiburon is trash.

Status quo with their modus operandi, EA promises to deliver "FLASHY NEW STUFF" in order to garner as many buyers as possible; and make them beta testers for two whole months while they figure out why their mid-game updates cause the player tendencies to be backwards.

So true dude, I can't remember if it was '11 or '12 but you could pump fake backward and get every DB to immediately bolt back toward the line of scrimmage, instant TD every time...it took EA MONTHS to fix.

Oh, yeah. I remember that glitch. My roommate had the game and I found that one about the first pass play I called.

There are so many problems with the NCAA franchise that I won't be buying this installment at release, like I have the others. The same things I complained about in NCAA '12 were relevant in '11 and '10. Each year, EA adds new toys to the game without effectively fixing the core mechanics of the game, which have been broken for several editions. Recruiting is broken and unrealistic, secondary defenders make impossible plays and have four and a half foot verticals, blockers still ghost from time to time, quarterbacks can't run horizontally to save their life, the option game is useless, the zone-read won't work even if you make the correct read, etc., etc. The game is completely unrealistic unless you adjust sliders, and I hate having to do this every - single - year. Oh, yeah, and the engine sucks and has been in use for two editions now. I'll buy it in December of this year, if and only if, after months of playing, I see the overwhelming problems have been fixed and no new ones have been created. But, I'm not holding my breath.

For a guy like me who hasn't bought these games in a few years this game is pretty freakin cool. I think there is a lot of great stuff. But for sure i cannot stand the 6 foot vertical these 240 LB's have when you throw the ball over the middle. I'll throw a 25 yard pass and the defender whom is 5 yards off the line of scrimmage somehow can knock the ball down....that is so damn frustrating

ANother thing i love about the game is if you throw a bad pass it's getting picked and going the other way. It's realistic.

Sometimes.

I took a video of the perfect example last year. I had a receiver running a post route down the middle by the left hash mark, and the defender was at the right hash mark. My WR makes his cut, I throw the football with (and I'm not over-exaggerating) perfect accuracy. The defender takes one step to the left and then quite literally slides five yards and makes an amazing block on the ball. There's no physical way that a human being could have made that defensive play in real life. It was almost like the computer calculated the chance of a successful pass as soon as I threw it, decided it was time I missed one, and intentionally made it so I screwed up.

Obviously, it's a video game, but it's a video game entirely based on a real-life sport. And when it comes to sports games, you can't fool around. I don't get mad at the game if I do something that was stupid (like throwing a jump ball into triple coverage). I do get mad, though, when the game bends it's own principles into uncanny ways of screwing me over.

ANother thing i love about the game is if you throw a bad pass it's getting picked and going the other way. It's realistic.

Sometimes.

I took a video of the perfect example last year. I had a receiver running a post route down the middle by the left hash mark, and the defender was at the right hash mark. My WR makes his cut, I throw the football with (and I'm not over-exaggerating) perfect accuracy. The defender takes one step to the left and then quite literally slides five yards and makes an amazing block on the ball. There's no physical way that a human being could have made that defensive play in real life. It was almost like the computer calculated the chance of a successful pass as soon as I threw it, decided it was time I missed one, and intentionally made it so I screwed up.

Obviously, it's a video game, but it's a video game entirely based on a real-life sport. And when it comes to sports games, you can't fool around. I don't get mad at the game if I do something that was stupid (like throwing a jump ball into triple coverage). I do get mad, though, when the game bends it's own principles into uncanny ways of screwing me over.

Happend to me lots of times. The LBs just block everything in their way and the pitch is basically usless. I dont like the way how DBs are like NFL pro bowlers thats why I only run the ball.

If you have last years version unless they add a playoff system and or completely revamp the way conference alignments are there isn't a point in getting a new version.

Things like being able to retire/unretire/rename conferences and to promote/demote teams to FCS.

And as of right now it seems they won't be adding a playoff to the game till next year at the earliest.

That said I'll probably crack and buy it anyways. sigh.

looks like they stamped a 13' on the 12' game...pretty pathetic if you ask me, hell id rather player ncaa '5-8' rather than any of the other ones, these new ones feel like a video game and almost getting farther away from reality. im a huge fifa player. i never bought 2012 but i play it with my friends a lot. The 2012 gameplay is so much more realistic than 2011 and its refreshing that they are making progress on fifa. although i still enjoy 2011 better because im a lot better at it. I traded in my ncaa 2012 a few weeks after i bought it, and i dont think ill purchase ncaa 2013. only fifa 13

They peaked after the Reggie Bush one, whatever year that was. I played that game non-stop....

oh ya, and i used to be very good at it, and once ncaa 10 and pres cant out i havnt been able to do very well, i suck

I may have to eat my words and actually buy the game this year, but definitely not on release, it looks like they fixed most of the stuff I was bitching about. But I didn't see anything that addresses the QB's pocket presence i.e. every QB (even if they are listed as a scramble) has the pocket presence and elusiveness of a pocket passer. When you avoid a sack you shouldn't have to wait a second and a half before you can move again and when you hold down the sprint button you shouldn't be shuffling around until you clear the pocket. Those are an absolute game killer when you play with teams like Oregon were mobility and speed kill.

I could live with the same graphics for another year as long as they fix the stupid running animations. Players have been gliding around for over a decade now while other games have had pretty fluid animations for 5 or 7 years.

I may have to eat my words and actually buy the game this year, but definitely not on release, it looks like they fixed most of the stuff I was bitching about. But I didn't see anything that addresses the QB's pocket presence i.e. every QB (even if they are listed as a scramble) has the pocket presence and elusiveness of a pocket passer. When you avoid a sack you shouldn't have to wait a second and a half before you can move again and when you hold down the sprint button you shouldn't be shuffling around until you clear the pocket. Those are an absolute game killer when you play with teams like Oregon were mobility and speed kill.

I could live with the same graphics for another year as long as they fix the stupid running animations. Players have been gliding around for over a decade now while other games have had pretty fluid animations for 5 or 7 years.

I could probably write a dissertation about how many problems there are with the NCAA football series, and quarterback mobility is one of them.

The option game, for example, is almost completely unplayable. Quarterbacks are viciously slow on designed quarterback runs. They have very little lateral speed in the backfield, even if they're "scramblers." However, have you ever noticed that if you try and scramble in a pass play (by holding down whichever relevant button, given your console) the quarterback is significantly faster? His feet move quicker and he gets to the edge faster. But when the camera zooms in on him (once you've passed the LOS), the QB slows back down again and his stride gets slower? It's little things like that which don't make sense in the option game.

Before the 2011 installment, I could rack up 300+ rushing games with Georgia Tech against average-good defenses, and sometimes even put together 400+ yard rushing games. Now, every time I play with GaTech, I'm lucky to get 150 yards rushing. It's impossible to read defensive ends, because even if you make the right call, the end will blow you up in the backfield. It's just broken, broken, broken.