WR Dominic Walker [Auburn Commit]

Nexus

I'm a little late to this party but I will still chime in. I hate to read that we have lost a recruit. I may not follow recruiting as much as some, but I do follow it quite a bit and I really like to read up on all of our verbal commits. I was really looking forward to this kid coming and playing for the greatest team in the nation. I can also tell you that I agree with a lot of people getting tired of the posters that are saying inappropriate things about this young man for switching his commitment. Say all you want, but choosing a college is a major life choice. I can honestly say that my life would have been quite different if I had made a different choice coming out of high school. I would agree that he's old enough to be a man and make choices on his own, but he's also still young enough to make choices that might not always seem "intelligent" to everyone else. Good luck Dominic and hopefully you are ok with your decision in four years if Auburn isn't doing well and the Huskers are prospering! GBR!!!

Dear Goody-Goody postees thread,

Obviously you are in love with Freewoman and Gabbert brothers. Again traitors including Walker IMO.

And many posts claimed "18 years old kid". I say BS and build-in excuses. It reminds me of Vietnam and Middle East wars sent to 18 years old young men, not kids.

However as usual, I admit my original post sentence (ending injury) was a touch of excessive manner. How about this....... overrated talent instead of ending injury?

Uh oh, again forgive me.............Praise the Lord!

Shall I go through every player on our roster and name off every single one that has threatened to leave the program at one point or another, or decommited from a school to join our program?

Well, I won't do it, since it'd take forever - but you're kidding yourself if <every> player that switches where they committed has "honesty" or "loyalty" issues.

Not everyone commits to the right school right off the bat.

In no way am I saying that what Dominic told the coaches was right, but I don't think it's fair that a forum criticizes every move an 18 year old makes, wishing ill will upon someone. I'm sorry, but it's life. I'm not going to wish someone tears their acl over him choosing a different school.

My defense of Dominic consists of: Grown ups trashing an 18 year old kid (I'm sure we were all stand up, mature, sophisticated, intelligent 18 year olds - despite how we grew up, outside influences, etc.) and people saying this loss means nothing. Of course it does, he is a great athlete, elite WR, and has a great work ethic. Truth be told, he probably could've seen the field this coming year dependent on how quickly the playbook came to him.

I can't believe I looked at this thread one more time. First, I too hate the "he's just a kid" line. You are right he is a "kid" with a wife and daughter. I cannot tell you how many times and how many years my 3 boys told me "times are different Dad" we are so much more mature at our age because of life experience. Yeah, right. And Hooked on Husker, WOW can't believe the ban hammer didn't come down for that statement. Wishing harm on anyone, older or younger, male or female should be addressed by the mods. These are no longer "kids" they are young men. Young men making adult decisions that will effect them for the rest of their lives. He chose a school closer to home, so what, so did my son. Mr. Walker has a wife and child from the area and a friend attending AU. I would say that is a bigger factor in determining where he went to school. Comfort and family. Now can we stop with the stupid, "I wish harm" on anyone talk and quit calling an 18 year young man a "kid". Mine stopped being "kids" at 15, ask them.

I figure you can't blame a kid for wanting to stay closer to home, have an opportunity to play sooner, have nearly ALL your games much closer so that family can attend.....there are lots of reasons I can see his decision. He had a committment to a quality school (Nebraska) and in his opinion, all things considered, a better offer came along. Let's say you live in GI. You go look at a car at Duteau in Lincoln,and tell the dealer....I really want that car...save it for me if you don't mind...at least through the weekend. I'll come in an sign the papers next week. In the meantime, H&H in GI has the exact same car....maybe a bit more expensive, but the dealer is closer to you in case things break, you want the car serviced, repeat business, etc. I'm dropping the offer to Duteau in a heartbeat. Who would blame me. Don't blame this kid either. He is trying to make the right decision.

The butthurt is strong in this thread.

Can't people just be "hurt"? Why does everyone have to be "butt hurt"? :lol:

I guess I'm the butthurt one because I don't defend every 18 year old "child." I'm done with this thread.

Good. You should be. Talking that way about recruits, even if they decommit is poor......really poor.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/blogs/recruiting/os-dominic-walker-drops-nebraska-commits-to-auburn-20130125,0,4009397.post?track=rss

Even his mom was afraid for him when he made the call to head coach Bo Pelini and his staff on Friday.

"It was a very tough decision. They were [mad]. They were very mad. But I thought I had to call them like a real man shoould," Walker said. "But yeah, they were mad. Coach Pelini said, 'Best of luck, you're going to need it.' "

Wide receivers coach Rich Fisher also was in on the call.

"Coach Fisher said, 'I can’t believe you,' " Walker said. "It was really awkward."

http://www.orlandose....post?track=rss

Even his mom was afraid for him when he made the call to head coach Bo Pelini and his staff on Friday.

"It was a very tough decision. They were [mad]. They were very mad. But I thought I had to call them like a real man shoould," Walker said. "But yeah, they were mad. Coach Pelini said, 'Best of luck, you're going to need it.' "

Wide receivers coach Rich Fisher also was in on the call.

"Coach Fisher said, 'I can't believe you,' " Walker said. "It was really awkward."

I absolutely love this about Pelini.... As a coach, he has had his struggles, but with statements like that it shows that he oozes confidence....

This is a loss....but not one that cripples the class. Best of luck to you DW. The only other thing I have to say is:

NEXT!

Exactly this ^^^

Kids are going to change their minds. Sometimes for us, sometimes against. This is not a crippling blow at a desperate position of need and at least it didn't occur on signing day.

And see, this is what I do not have a problem with. It's okay for the coaches to be upset. They put in a lot of time and effort into this young man and received multiple stone-clad committments from him. It's okay for them to express their displeasure. It's okay for it to be an awkward situation calling them to dump them. It's not okay for some fans to wish illfortune and injury upon him.

Who said recruiting was all about relationships? I think coach fisher had the best relationship with DW than any of those AU coaches

No doubt. But sometimes the allure of early playing time for a kid who thinks he is going to be a 3 time all-american and enter the draft and be a 1st round pick after leaving after his junior year is stronger than relationships. I promise you Terrell Newby will have a better college career than Walker, but Newby doesn't think he will walk on campus deserve a starting spot.