What will make 2012 a successful season?

I should have been clearer. It's a small step, but it takes a lot of effort to climb it.

The difference between 10 wins and 11 wins could be one play (a la Michigan State hail mary). But to achieve that, takes more effort than meets the eye.

And there is not a single proven thing that supports a 7 or an 8 win season either. Words like "should" and "potential" are the only things that you can use to support such a prediction, one based entirely on "despair". Doesn't mean it can't happen...we've seen weirder things, and bigger come-aparts (Auburn from '10 to '11). But we as a program don't ride on seasons like a roller coaster.

Pelini teams have proven that

1) They will finish the year ranked.

-and-

2) They will manage at least 9 wins.

To expect anything below that is betting against the house.

Definitely agree with you then, it goes both ways. I see what you meant now. That's why I'm at 9. Not saying 8 couldn't happen, or 11 but 9 or 10 seems most likely based on everything we know. 10 if we don't drop an easy one, 9 if we do.

Pretty much agree.

I should have been clearer. It's a small step, but it takes a lot of effort to climb it.

The difference between 10 wins and 11 wins could be one play (a la Michigan State hail mary). But to achieve that, takes more effort than meets the eye.

And there is not a single proven thing that supports a 7 or an 8 win season either. Words like "should" and "potential" are the only things that you can use to support such a prediction, one based entirely on "despair". Doesn't mean it can't happen...we've seen weirder things, and bigger come-aparts (Auburn from '10 to '11). But we as a program don't ride on seasons like a roller coaster.

Pelini teams have proven that

1) They will finish the year ranked.

-and-

2) They will manage at least 9 wins.

To expect anything below that is betting against the house.

Definitely agree with you then, it goes both ways. I see what you meant now. That's why I'm at 9. Not saying 8 couldn't happen, or 11 but 9 or 10 seems most likely based on everything we know. 10 if we don't drop an easy one, 9 if we do.

Pretty much agree.

Agree also. I'm looking at 9-3 or 10-2 for the regular season. 8-4 and 11-1 are certainly possible although I see them as less likely. Everything really hinges on the OL and DL along with turnovers - as it does most seasons. I expect the defense will be good to very good but not great, and the offense will be very good. I expect that Martinez will open up the running game with his passing due to his experience and the quality of our WR's and TE's. (Yes, I said it, our passing game will open up our running game.) With Maher and Ameer our special teams could be great this season. That advantage in the third phase is what gives me confidence we'll have at least 9 wins again.

well which season are we talking about? i guess autumn is coming up...i could use a few inches of rain, about once a week with the occasional thunderstorm, no tornadoes around my area, tempertures in the mid to high 60's with a cool breeze every now and then. that sounds like a successful season...

Love it! I hope you get that kind of 'season' and that our football season is equally successful! ;)

we have a lot of question marks, it's going to be interesting to say the least..........

It is very easy to look at our question marks and ignor everybody else's. It is May, it is not like every football team in the nation is a completely finished product and is ready to play tomorrow.

Three big issues stand out that keep this team from winning the conference. We lack consistent discipline and need a leader under center (talk about the 3rd below). This is not a slam against taylor. He is talented and plays his heart out. He just doesn't have that ability to carry the team or keep them on task. Few quarterbacks do. Obviously Frazier and Frost could do this. Crouch could carry the team but wasn't the strong leader. Joey Ganz could carry the team and was a solid leader (we just had a recovering defense that season). We haven't played clean football on a consistent basis since TO retired. The great coaches get to that point. Watch Kstate play. They lack talent but it sure is fun to watch a team play disciplined.

We almost won two conference titles with sub-par qb play, and sloppy offensive football because of incredible defenses. Last season we lacked all 3 (big defense, leader qb, discipline) We ended up around the top end of the middle of the conference. Do we have reason to believe that will change this season? Defense could improve to where they don't need a Lavonte David making big plays. At best I see the defense the same, the qb the same, and the discipline on offense improved again as the system is another year in place. Not expecting to win the division because of these issues that won't be fixed this year.

So here's to enjoying the ride without crazy expectations...(ala 2003 and 2008)

I expect to get to the CCG. They've been in the b1g a year now. We have a Qb with 3 years of starting experience leading an offense that has weapons at RB, TE and WR. The line has some experience and depth. They have a year under their belt with the offense. I expect them to play well. Defensively there are a few more question marks but this staff is suppose to be gurus in that area, so I expect the defense to play better than last year.

but I think there is strong chance we get totally embarassed by Arkansas State, maybe not a loss, but a real confidence breaker.

I think your logic has been measured up to this point, but this is something I just cannot endorse. I understand it is a possibility (see Appalachian State v. Michigan), but it is not going to happen.