CB Jonathan Cook [Alabama - Signed NLI]

Nexus

The staff knows the situation. They've reached out to 2 possible CBs in Florida and certainly haven't stopped recruiting Hunt. Who cares if we pull the scholly or not? Everyone knows what's happening. Let him sit on the commit list until another CB commits....then tell him to sh*t or get off the pot.

This

This was a surprise commit when he verballed in the first place. Only sent the offer to him a month before he committed and right after he got snubbed from Bama wanting to grey shirt him. Probably an emotional verbal and has since cooled, maybe we have cooled, or maybe he was like that OL from a class or two ago that verballed but the coaches didn't even offer

Well, I think it's pretty obvious that we're his favorite choice out the offers he does have. While he's been very outspoken about his desire for an offer from an SEC/Alabama school, I really don't have a problem with this. I mean, if we had to pick between him and Priest Willis (thankfully we won't have to), do you think we'd keep Cook out of "loyalty"? So its a two-way street in terms of where your loyalties and commitment lie when greener pastures come calling; in the end, everyone will do what they have to with their best interests in mind. Cook has just been very forthright where he perceives his best interests to be.

In fact, I admire how candid Cook has been throughout the whole process. This is pretty rare - ironically

That said, I hopefully one day we will be able to go toe-to-toe with the (current) big boys again, though I guess we will always be at some disadavantage due to location.

Agree with this assessment the most. He's being honest and that is rare, and definitely is helpful with the NU staff so they know where he stands. At the end of the day, he's from Alabama, of course he's going to be partial to his home state school(s) and hold out hope for an offer(s). But the fact that we're second to his home state schools (Bama and auburn are no slouches) is pretty dang good recruiting on Bo and his staff's part. If this was a Nebraska kid getting courted by out of state big wigs, I have a feeling they wouldn't make as much progress with him as we have with Cook. Bo has been in the thick of it with out of state studs and competing with their respective local football factories. He has a knack for spotting talent and getting more of them than one would expect to campus for a visit. Unfortunately we can't close the deal on them (Owa, Andrus, and Devin fuller come to mind as recent examples). But we're in it until signing day for a number of them, and I think we have to be happy with that given all of our built-in disadvantages.

I won't jump on board with the PW drama queen stuff. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, as every kid handles the recruiting process differently. Maybe he just genuinely can appreciate every school he visits and could see himself being happy with a number of them.

WOW, what are you guys gonna say about this kid if does decommit, the kid hasnt even committed else where yet and there's people bashing him. you think there's not a bunch of texas kids that we've recruited over the years that would have rather been longhorns in they got the offer

When he decommits it wont be nearly as bad because no one should be surprised because he's made his intentions known. I don't think people have been hard on him, the things said have been the truth based on his own comments.

I won't jump on board with the PW drama queen stuff. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, as every kid handles the recruiting process differently. Maybe he just genuinely can appreciate every school he visits and could see himself being happy with a number of them.

Okay, yeah that's probably fair. I was just trying to draw a comparison as to how hard it is to get a read on Willis as compared Cook, but, as you say, that could easily be chalked up to different personalities as well. It definitely came off as a bit of a shot at the kid, which was not my intent. :wasted

Anybody who's seen film on him and Jonathan Rose (transfer from Auburn, already on the team, redshirted this year) have an opinion on which one is better? I know they are both very good players, but since they play the same position I thought it might be easy to compare. I get them confused so many times since there are a number of similarities; both are from Alabama, were/are recruited by Auburn, play the same position, same first name. I would be disappointed if what I'm reading is true and Cook is fancying the SEC now. I always want us to hold on to every recruit we swipe from the SEC big boys in their own backyard.

Priest Willis is the closest thing to Jonathan Rose, recruiting wise. Cook vs Rose is no contest, in Rose's favor.

I'm not bashing the kid at all. I just don't think he ends up a Nebraska Cornhusker. I've never called him a bad person or whatever else you want to say. I'd love for him to stay...just don't think it will happen.

i just dont like people saying they should pull his scholarship offer because he might want an offer from an instate school especially when those schools are alabama and auburn, there is plenty of guys on this team from cali that would have jumped ship for a usc offer or players from texas that would have for a offer from the longhorns, i understand what you guys are saying though "bashing" was poor word choice on my part

I've about lost it with all of you. Has he decommitted yet? No. Has he ever said, 'I plan to decommit from Nebraska?' No. So he lives in Alabama and likes the Alabama schools.. so? I don't see people flipping sh#t on DJ Foster's page in the 2014 list because he lives in Lincoln and loves Alabama. This needs to stop.

All you people do is bitch that we are slow as hell on defense. We get a FAST kid committed right out of the south and you want his scholarship pulled? You people amaze me.

• Fire 1

I've about lost it with all of you. Has he decommitted yet? No. Has he ever said, 'I plan to decommit from Nebraska?' No. So he lives in Alabama and likes the Alabama schools.. so? I don't see people flipping sh#t on DJ Foster's page in the 2014 list because he lives in Lincoln and loves Alabama. This needs to stop.

All you people do is bitch that we are slow as hell on defense. We get a FAST kid committed right out of the south and you want his scholarship pulled? You people amaze me.

Agreed. Do we think any less of local kids that are originally committed elsewhere (Ohio, for example) but as soon as Nebraska offers they jump ship? Probably grew up dreaming of playing for one of the in-state schools. If it doesn't work out, he'll go elsewhere and play. But, given the chance to fulfill his dream, I couldn't fault him for taking that opportunity.

*** Waits for people to jump on Ohio-to-Nebraska better than Nebraska-to-Alabama ***

• Fire 1