Wisconsin D-End Provides Bulletin Board "Throwing Rocks" Material

Landlord

http://journalstar.c...b4741a4016.html

Junior defensive end David Gilbert will not start for Wisconsin at Nebraska on Saturday night due to comments he made about Nebraska quarterback Taylor Martinez.

“I want to make him understand that,” Bielema said of what he deemed inappropriate comments about Martinez and his throwing style. “That’s just not who we are and what we are.

“(Gilbert) will be skipping rocks on the sideline with me for the first play.”

"It's definitely going to be a priority," Gilbert said of delivering hits on Martinez. "I mean, let's face it, he's a soft kid.

"When things don't go his way and when he fumbles a little bit, that comes with getting hit hard and getting hit hard the whole game. That's an element we're trying to bring to the D-line."

As much as I love that this Wisconsin player is playing very cavalierly with PR properness, I have to say, he does make a good point here.

Taylor has always to date, struggled when rattled, and by struggled I mean had his game fall off a cliff. The smart defensive gameplan is to keep pressuring him, hitting him, confusing him, keeping him on his toes and feeling uncomfortable. Taylor I hope, will be able to respond to this. If he can't, we will be in for a long night vs. any talented, athletic defense that manages to accomplish this and catch a few breaks their way.

It's also true that our team seems to have been more stable on the road, than at home, in recent years under Bo's tenure. Sort of an us-against-the-world mentality that keeps the team extra together on road trips, while allowing the occasional struggle at home when the chips aren't down.

All that said, Wisky as a team just seems to be reeling right now. I don't think they have the horses to beat us. Maybe not even to come close.

^ This is the issue to date with Martinez. We have seen time and time again him become error prone when rattled. ie Big XII aagainst OU, Wisky even UCLA two weeks ago. The key is and will always be O line play. Give him time and he will do well. He is not a sit in the pocket, progress through multiple reads, watch out for disguised coverage, stand in the pocket under pressure and throw well QB.

If Wisky stacks the box, and I am sure they will, Beck needs to assist all he can by play calling to exploit the blitz and pressure. If not, IMO, we could be in for a long night. We need to really go up tempo as well and not let their D get set.

Read an article that Bo talked about showing a lot that hasn't been seen yet and the ability to do a lot more from our base set. Something that hasn't been seen, but was practiced extensively all year.

No coach wants to do damage control for a loud mouth and what the heck if it gives some motivation for NU that is great. Trash talk is probably best when you are on the field and only the guy in front of you can hear it.

The talk doesn't bother me; in fact, I kind of like it. It's better than the mush you usually get out of a press conference.

Can someone attest to this that has made many a road trips to away games (yes, those who like to play against away games)? Do we really have that much higher percentage of "older" fans in our crowds compared to other places, or is it just a perception blown way out of proportion?

Yes. At least, we did compared to Texass, AtM, and Oklahoma. Baylor was hard to judge because the only fans that would attend games when we played there were fans of Baylor mostly from the SWC days (read: gray-hairs), and the students really cared less (until RG III) because of how inept they were.

Haven't been to an B1G away venue yet--hoping to this season.

The guy figures he can rattle taylor before the game even starts. Maybe he sensed something last year. Reguardless...BECK needs to protect his quarterback. Be patient with the run. TO should sit down and watch the 94 orange bowl with him. Also this offense has to draw up more plays for our wideouts. Send Turner deep and let Taylor air one out every now and then. Get those screens and shovel passes going more often to keep the pass rush second guessing. I wonder if he's got the half back pass saved for OSU?

The guy figures he can rattle taylor before the game even starts. Maybe he sensed something last year. Reguardless...BECK needs to protect his quarterback. Be patient with the run. TO should sit down and watch the 94 orange bowl with him. Also this offense has to draw up more plays for our wideouts. Send Turner deep and let Taylor air one out every now and then. Get those screens and shovel passes going more often to keep the pass rush second guessing. I wonder if he's got the half back pass saved for OSU?

Yep. 60 minute marathon, not sprint.

I'd rather see us send Bell or Enunwa go deep than Turner based on what we've seen this year.

That needle he threaded to Kyler Reed in the endzone would be an example of beating Wisconsin with his arm.
That was a pretty slick throw. Only a hanfull of NFL quarterbacks would have tried to thread that in there. Not saying he's that caliber of quarterback, but it took some moxie to throw that one.