4. The Force Awakens

5. Revenge of the Sith

Mine would go:

1. Empire

2. Return of the Jedi

3. A New Hope

4. The Force Awakens

5... The prequels in any order

2-4 are pretty close, though. Empire is still the best of all the movies. Maybe after watching TFA a couple more times it'll move up. I've got 30+ years of history with the originals.

I have some concerns, noted in the spoilers thread, about this movie. Maybe I need to buy the novel and see if they hammer out some more of the back-story.

The prequels were a suicide mission. George Lucas knew this as soon as he finished Jedi. How was he ever supposed to go back and do justice to what would be a trilogy telling the story before the story? He waited for technology to catch up so he could do what he always envisioned IV, V and VI could be.

That ended up being his undoing. The improvements actually ended up hurting the prequels. We were treated to better visuals, stunning space sequences and compelling light saber battles. But this wasn't Luke, Han and Leia. It was an awkward young Vader, a conflicted love interest in Padme and a very under appreciated younger Obi Wan by Ewan Mcgregor.

I'm sure after the universal hatred of the prequels Lucas considered jumping right into 7 to show the masses he could appease them. But I also assume he realized that there is no way to appease them all.

Man, I've had a hell of a time trying to find some of the friggin action figures for my kids for Christmas. Checked everyone online, and have been to like 8 stores, and can't find a single "Rey" anywhere.

I was in Toys 'R Us the other day and noticed that not only did they have very few action figures, but the section they were in was pretty small. Do kids not play with action figures anymore?

The biggest problem with the prequels was Hayden Christensen's awful acting. #2 would be Jar-Jar Binks.

I firmly believe Leonardo Dicaprio could have been cast as Anakin and it still wouldn't have changed anyones perception of the prequels.

Hayden sucked in Episode 2 for the most part. He was okay in Episode 3 though after he turned, portraying evil Vader pre mechanics he did well.

Jar Jar sucks no matter how you spin it.

The biggest problem with the prequels was Hayden Christensen's awful acting. #2 would be Jar-Jar Binks.

I firmly believe Leonardo Dicaprio could have been cast as Anakin and it still wouldn't have changed anyones perception of the prequels.

Hayden sucked in Episode 2 for the most part. He was okay in Episode 3 though after he turned, portraying evil Vader pre mechanics he did well.

I agree. He acted the way he was told to act.

I don't agree with your earlier assessment that it was a suicide mission or whatever. Lucas decided that he should control every aspect of the movies whereas with episodes 5 and 6 he wasn't the director and didn't write the screenplays. He also completely misunderstood what people liked about the first trilogy. It could have been way better than it was. (Although I liked Ep. III). I've seen him in interviews saying Empire is the worst movie and he doesn't like it. He has a huge ego (for obvious reasons).

Man, I've had a hell of a time trying to find some of the friggin action figures for my kids for Christmas. Checked everyone online, and have been to like 8 stores, and can't find a single "Rey" anywhere.

I was in Toys 'R Us the other day and noticed that not only did they have very few action figures, but the section they were in was pretty small. Do kids not play with action figures anymore?

IDK, but mine do. They recently discovered Lincoln Logs and when they were playing, they started using some of their Avengers to fight in their buildings. That's what put me over the edge to get them some Star Wars figures, because that's exactly what I did as a kid.

I don't agree with your earlier assessment that it was a suicide mission or whatever. Lucas decided that he should control every aspect of the movies whereas with episodes 5 and 6 he wasn't the director and didn't write the screenplays. He also completely misunderstood what people liked about the first trilogy. It could have been way better than it was. (Although I liked Ep. III). I've seen him in interviews saying Empire is the worst movie and he doesn't like it. He has a huge ego (for obvious reasons).

Lucas lost the pulse, no question there. But it didn't matter who directed/produced them, they were destined to fail no matter who had the final say on how the stories unfolded.

Lucas lost the pulse, no question there. But it didn't matter who directed/produced them, they were destined to fail no matter who had the final say on how the stories unfolded.

Don't agree with that at all. They were destined to not live up to the originals. If that's failure, then ya. But they were not destined to "fail" nearly as much as they did.