Star Wars: Episode VII **NO SPOILERS**

The prequels weren't that bad, they were just underwhelming in the end. Ewan was a great Obi Wan, and 10-year-old me or whatever was enthralled when I first saw Phantom Menace (I had seen the originals prior, though!)

Even the first movies weren't that great. At least, they were surpassed by the magic of the Star Wars universe. Great story? Well, it's every story. It's "the" basic hero style, only it was told in a stellar way, excuse the pun. The prequels filled in some blanks, but didn't do a great job of telling a story whose ending was already known.

The prequels weren't that bad, they were just underwhelming in the end. Ewan was a great Obi Wan, and 10-year-old me or whatever was enthralled when I first saw Phantom Menace (I had seen the originals prior, though!)

Even the first movies weren't that great. At least, they were surpassed by the magic of the Star Wars universe. Great story? Well, it's every story. It's "the" basic hero style, only it was told in a stellar way, excuse the pun. The prequels filled in some blanks, but didn't do a great job of telling a story whose ending was already known.

Wait, you're younger than me?

*head spins*

I always thought you were old, like Knapp... lol.

• Fire 1

The biggest problem with the prequels was Hayden Christensen's awful acting. #2 would be Jar-Jar Binks.

I firmly believe Leonardo Dicaprio could have been cast as Anakin and it still wouldn't have changed anyones perception of the prequels.

Hayden sucked in Episode 2 for the most part. He was okay in Episode 3 though after he turned, portraying evil Vader pre mechanics he did well.

Jar Jar sucks no matter how you spin it.

I agree. He acted the way he was told to act.

I don't agree with your earlier assessment that it was a suicide mission or whatever. Lucas decided that he should control every aspect of the movies whereas with episodes 5 and 6 he wasn't the director and didn't write the screenplays. He also completely misunderstood what people liked about the first trilogy. It could have been way better than it was. (Although I liked Ep. III). I've seen him in interviews saying Empire is the worst movie and he doesn't like it. He has a huge ego (for obvious reasons).

Lucas lost the pulse, no question there. But it didn't matter who directed/produced them, they were destined to fail no matter who had the final say on how the stories unfolded.

Don't agree with that at all. They were destined to not live up to the originals. If that's failure, then ya. But they were not destined to "fail" nearly as much as they did.

So much time had passed between Jedi and Menace that making any movie fit the prequel mold fans wanted was nearly impossible. In the end Lucas had a vision and he saw it through. Sure that vision was vhalk full of Jar Jar Binks and cringe worthy love scenes, but a vision none the less.

Another person could have taken the reigns and maybe made better movies, but the reaction still would have been that they underwhelmed. So much hype built around them that nothing was going to meet the impossible standards we as fans had set.

I enjoyed this movie a lot more the 2nd time. An easy 10/10 for me.

I gave it that after the 1st time seeing it. Maybe a 9.5 out of 10. Abrams did about as good a job as one could have done with it even if the storyline was a little familiar. Pretty much non stop action and I liked all of the characters especially Kylo Renn. He had a Bane like vibe going. It easily destroyed all of the prequels.

Much, much better than I was expecting.

• Fire 1

The biggest problem with the prequels was Hayden Christensen's awful acting. #2 would be Jar-Jar Binks.

I firmly believe Leonardo Dicaprio could have been cast as Anakin and it still wouldn't have changed anyones perception of the prequels.

Hayden sucked in Episode 2 for the most part. He was okay in Episode 3 though after he turned, portraying evil Vader pre mechanics he did well.

Jar Jar sucks no matter how you spin it.

I agree. He acted the way he was told to act.

I don't agree with your earlier assessment that it was a suicide mission or whatever. Lucas decided that he should control every aspect of the movies whereas with episodes 5 and 6 he wasn't the director and didn't write the screenplays. He also completely misunderstood what people liked about the first trilogy. It could have been way better than it was. (Although I liked Ep. III). I've seen him in interviews saying Empire is the worst movie and he doesn't like it. He has a huge ego (for obvious reasons).

Lucas lost the pulse, no question there. But it didn't matter who directed/produced them, they were destined to fail no matter who had the final say on how the stories unfolded.

Don't agree with that at all. They were destined to not live up to the originals. If that's failure, then ya. But they were not destined to "fail" nearly as much as they did.

So much time had passed between Jedi and Menace that making any movie fit the prequel mold fans wanted was nearly impossible. In the end Lucas had a vision and he saw it through. Sure that vision was vhalk full of Jar Jar Binks and cringe worthy love scenes, but a vision none the less.

Another person could have taken the reigns and maybe made better movies, but the reaction still would have been that they underwhelmed. So much hype built around them that nothing was going to meet the impossible standards we as fans had set.

There's probably some truth to that. Particularly in regards to his vision, I was watching a couple of minutes of an hour-long documentary surrounding the making of Episode 1. Even in the storyboard meeting, five months prior to filming, Lucas is going through and color coding every scene that will be CGI or real, and most of the scenes involve some type of CGI. That's what he wanted, but I know personally, the exuberant amount of CGI in the prequels was one of the main reasons I griped against them.