Star Wars: Episode VII **NO SPOILERS**

I didn't care for Cloverfield much. The whole found footage aspect wasn't why though. The acting was semi cheesy imo or felt like it anyway and the story was fairly predictable and not what I would call original. For a mindless thriller/sci fi flick I can see why people could like it though. It delivered in some ways so I'm not saying it was completely horrible. I wouldn't watch it a second time.

Does anyone think this movie will have a dark vibe? From the trailers it almost seems as if the movie goes that route.

I didn't care for Cloverfield much. The whole found footage aspect wasn't why though. The acting was semi cheesy imo or felt like it anyway and the story was fairly predictable and not what I would call original. For a mindless thriller/sci fi flick I can see why people could like it though. It delivered in some ways so I'm not saying it was completely horrible. I wouldn't watch it a second time.

Does anyone think this movie will have a dark vibe? From the trailers it almost seems as if the movie goes that route.

I don't think so. I think it will have a lived-in, old world vibe - the same kind that makes the original trilogy so fantastic, and makes the prequel trilogies hard to get on board with.

• Fire 1

I don't think so. I think it will have a lived-in, old world vibe - the same kind that makes the original trilogy so fantastic, and makes the prequel trilogies hard to get on board with.

Yeah the prequel's could have been better. They just needed some serious editing. I don't loathe them as much as some. Anyway an old world/throwback vibe would definitely be cool. I don't see this movie having the same tone as the prequels although Return of the Sith was what the trailers vibe sort of reminded me of.

Lived in, or dirty is a good way to describe 4-6. That was a problem in 1-3 it looked to slick, to clean to CGI. I think that Lucas was going for a cleaner look. I think he wanted to show pre empire as an antiseptic type society. He just took it to far. The lite sabor battles were to clean in the prequels also IMO.

Christopher Nolan. He has 4 of my top 10 movies of all time. Haven't seen the following to know if it was bad, but imdb says it is a 7.6 which usually means it is above average to good.

He directed Star Wars?

I like Nolan too. Maybe he means he wishes Nolan would have been considered as he was one of the names that were mentioned when no one knew who Disney was going to go with.

I think this was in response to "name a director who has never had a bad film" posed earlier.

Which is a good response. Nolan is about as rock steady as directors go, but he's also slightly an enigma, and was gifted the keys to the kingdom pretty early on.

With respect to JJ, Nolan's average Metacritic score for all of the films he has either directed or produced is 69, and Abrams' average score is 64, with Armageddon (wrote screenplay) and The Suburbans (Producer) dragging his average down a whole lot. That doesn't take into account Abrams' tv show chops, but if you look at strictly movies and take out those two early and low scores, his average jumps to 70.

I guess I was more worried about directing only or at least for this argument that is what I boiled it down to. I don't like using critics scores because to often they like some really crappy movies that the general population really does not like. I am not very often misled by the population of users at IMDB as a whole (some will always hate what seems to be a good movie and some will give a perfect score to terrible movies) about the quality of a movie and whether it is worth my viewing.

With all that, the movies that JJ and Nolan have directed, on IMDB.com users gave a average rating of 8.34 to Nolan and 7.45 to JJ. That means the average Nolan film would land on the top 100 list of all time movies on average. JJ average movie, only 4 real entries due to a tv movie being pulled from my numbers, is probably a solid film and should probably only be considered if you enjoy the genre.

I don't know why I took the time to do any of this, but here it is...

I think I might have a man crush on Nolan.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...