Nebraska vs an undefeated Oregon

I though Rittenberg said the rose bowl can only chose a non pac 12 once every 4 years, and they took TCU in 2010, thus a PAC 12 team will be playing in the rose bowl this year, correct?

Rittenberg got it wrong. Sounds like he's confusing it with the non-AQ team they HAD to pick once in 4 years, which they did with TCU. http://www.bcsfootba...tory?id=4819597 has the full selection process. No mention about being forced to take a Pac 12 champ any certain number of years.

We won't play Kansas State. If they win out, they go to the championship game or the Fiesta Bowl as Big 12 champion. If they lose and aren't the Big 12 champion, I cannot see the Rose Bowl taking them, though of course it's technically possible.

Here's the excerpt from the RIttenberg chat:

Kyle from Denton, Texas, writes: Adam, what are the chances the Huskers end up playing Oklahoma in the Rose Bowl this year? My thinking is very high since the Big 12 doesn't have a championship game and the SEC and the Pac-12 do... that could end up pushing Oregon into the NCG. Oklahoma sits at #12 right now and if they win out will be eligible for an At-Large bid. If Nebraska wins out could we expect to see this match up in the Rose Bowl? I don't see how the bowl selection committee could pass this potential game up.

Adam Rittenberg: Kyle, this won't happen because the Rose Bowl still will select another team from the Pac-12. The Rose Bowl only must select a non-Big Ten or Pac-12 team once in a four-year cycle when it loses one of its conference champions and an eligible team from a non-automatic-qualifying conference is eligible. That's why you saw the Rose Bowl, after losing Oregon to the national title game in 2010, select TCU to face Big Ten champion Wisconsin. So it doesn't matter if Oklahoma is eligible for an at-large bid. The Rose Bowl will select a Pac-12 opponent -- USC, Oregon State, Stanford being the likely candidates -- if it loses Oregon to the title game.

He doesn't say they are forced to take a Pac-12 team, but says they will. I don't think it's that cut and dried, especially if an unbeaten Notre Dame is available.

Being a husker fan in Oregon (wife goes to Oregon State) I am amazed at what Oregon can do but they do get slowed way down when then hit a talented team. NU gets to the line fast but then we screw around on the snap count for 10+ seconds. Oregon does what we did the first drive of the sencond half all of the time, they snap the ball just seconds after the ref puts it down. (So what does this mean) If they are the better team they simply go crazy and score fast, they have a very good defense but if the opponet can eat clock that makes a big difference. I guess I am being Mr. obvious saying this but my point is what Oregon does to an inferior opponet accounts for the huge scores. The question would be is the husker team good enough to slow it down and not get in a track meet that we would lose. I would watch the game but I would not put any money down.

I agree with what's being said here. I mean you guys said you had no chance in hell beating Michigan. Oregon would demolish you. You should just stop playing games and forefeit so you don't need to worry about it.

Congrats on your defense earning yellow shirts, because you guys are apparently too chicken to play a team.

Remember, they said the same thing to Ohio State when Oregon played them. They said the same thing to Ohio State when Miami played them in 2003.

I agree with what's being said here. I mean you guys said you had no chance in hell beating Michigan. Oregon would demolish you. You should just stop playing games and forefeit so you don't need to worry about it.

Congrats on your defense earning yellow shirts, because you guys are apparently too chicken to play a team.

Remember, they said the same thing to Ohio State when Oregon played them. They said the same thing to Ohio State when Miami played them in 2003.

This post never happened, honest! :moreinteresting

That's why I'd rather see Ohio State play Oregon in the Rose Bowl this year.

Oh, wait... they can't.

His words are harsh, but true. When did we become afraid to play a top team? Certainly we'd be a big underdog, but who knows what could happen? And at the very least, we find out more about where we fall short of competing at the top level. Or maybe find out the gap isn't that big.

That's why I'd rather see Ohio State play Oregon in the Rose Bowl this year.

Oh, wait... they can't.

His words are harsh, but true. When did we become afraid to play a top team? Certainly we'd be a big underdog, but who knows what could happen? And at the very least, we find out more about where we fall short of competing at the top level. Or maybe find out the gap isn't that big.

I don't understand that kind of attitude any more than he does. If beating mediocre teams is all that matters to our fans anymore, we might as well just drop down to FCS and play those teams the whole season. I don't care who our opponent is or how bad we might lose. I want this team to go to the Rose Bowl.

So I've read through this thread and haven't seen any mention of this, BUUUUUUT.....

What if the SEC produces no undefeated teams (Bama loses to LSU this week, for example)? Would the SEC champion (a 1-loss team) get into the BCS national title game if Oregon, K-State and Notre Dame finished the season undefeated?

I would like to think 'no', but the landscape of college football these days makes me think at least 2 of these (possible) undefeateds would get snubbed even if the SEC champ has a loss.