Nebraska vs an undefeated Oregon

Frankly, the Rose Bowl committee is probably hoping that Oregon goes to the NC--because a Nebraska/Oregon Rose Bowl would not be an enticing matchup and be a nightmare to get viewers for.

Now, a Notre Dame/Nebraska or Oklahoma (BCS At-Large)/Nebraska matchup, if Oregon has prior commitments, would make for a very entertaining matchup. And both would drive better revenues than an Oregon/Nebraska matchup would, TV-wise.

And if they stick with the Pac-12, an Oregon State matchup could be possible as well, depending on how far they fall after Oregon beats them.

Because people made such a big deal about running up the score a few years ago, the computers were forced to take out margin of victory, or be cut from the system. Now, most people believe beating someone 70-0 should help your resume more than beating them 14-13. Certainly the pollsters believe it, and vote accordingly, which is entirely unfair, of course. But that's where it stands right now.

Oregon's schedule isn't very strong, so the computers, which now can only see wins and losses and not scores, will rate them based on that.

Massey's original ratings, which include MOV, have Oregon 2nd. But the modified version for the BCS has them 5th. If you were to ask Kenneth Massey himself where Oregon should be ranked, he would say #2.

I don't think we want to be playing any of those top 4 teams. They're just a head above everyone else. I think we would have the best chance of keeping it close against ND.

i think we could give k-state a run for their money. we would have to play fundamentally sound football for 60 mins, but i think we have more talent.

I don't think we want to be playing any of those top 4 teams. They're just a head above everyone else. I think we would have the best chance of keeping it close against ND.

i think we could give k-state a run for their money. we would have to play fundamentally sound football for 60 mins, but i think we have more talent.

Out of the Top 4 teams, I would take ND. Their offense is not very good, despite showing some life during the OU game and their first game, but other than that, they have been flat. We would have the same chances on beating Kstate as we would Oregon. Oregon is an all run team, and not ranked high in the passing game. Each team they have faced this year, has not had a very good rush defense, hence why they are putting so many numbers up. Kstate, they have faced good defense, and still scored, with putting impressive numbers on the board. Kstate is dangerous on the ground, just as much as they are in the air. I think Kstate would spread our defense out more than Oregon, opening up the ability to make more plays.

I though Rittenberg said the rose bowl can only chose a non pac 12 once every 4 years, and they took TCU in 2010, thus a PAC 12 team will be playing in the rose bowl this year, correct?

I am not sure what the rules and regulations are on that. If we make it, I expect to see Oregon there, unless Kstate loses. These next 4 games for Oregon, could be enough to put them ahead of ND if both win out.

Out of the Top 4 teams, I would take ND. Their offense is not very good, despite showing some life during the OU game and their first game, but other than that, they have been flat. We would have the same chances on beating Kstate as we would Oregon. Oregon is an all run team, and not ranked high in the passing game. Each team they have faced this year, has not had a very good rush defense, hence why they are putting so many numbers up. Kstate, they have faced good defense, and still scored, with putting impressive numbers on the board. Kstate is dangerous on the ground, just as much as they are in the air. I think Kstate would spread our defense out more than Oregon, opening up the ability to make more plays.

Assuming the top four teams go all the way through the season undefeated, I'd agree that KState would be the one I'd least like to play. It's not because of their talent or what they do. It's because any of the other three teams would see it as almost an insult playing us in the Rose Bowl rather than getting to play in the NC game. KState would be the only one of the four that would come in inspired to take us behind the shed. KState would line up on the ball and do to us what we did to them so many years just ramming the ball down our throats. Plus, they're the only one of the four that wouldn't let off the gas after the game was clearly out of hand.

Having said all that, KState would be awesome to play in the Rose Bowl. If we want to know where we stand, we have to play some of the best. Talent for talent, we probably match up the best against KState. I don't care how overmatched it might appear going to the Rose Bowl. We need to know where we stand in the ranks of college football. If the team continue to progress, there's no reason to think we'll get obliterated in the Rose Bowl.

I wonder if by playing the best possible foe, with the expectation we're going to get slaughtered, could actually take some of the pressure off certain players and coaches, who might then approach the game with a more relaxed nothing-to-lose swagger and high risk/reward strategy that goes into every great upset -- of which there are several every year.

But I think that would be hard to pull off against Chip Kelly, who always comes in with that high-risk swagger.

Oregon has not played a full game this year. Normally their O and Dlines are gone by mid second quarter. That is one of thier problems according to Scott Frost. No depth. They are trying to develop the backups, this in turn hurts the starters, as not a single one has played a full game, actually most not a full half.

They are preparing to play Bama, that is who they want.

We got beat by UCLA, trounced by Ohio State, lucked out by a missed field goal to Northwester, beat a wounded Michigan team, and have 4 games left that most seem to be toss ups. Oregon has beaten three ranked teams soundly, will beat a couple more by the end of the season and somehow we think we belong on the same field with them. You guys are simply amazing. Put your self in Oregon's shoes, what do you think our chances would be. I think you are looking at a dyanasty developing in the upper Northwest, not quite the one that Bama has, but I truly believe they are the best team in the country this year.

It would be like lambs to the slaughter and there is nothing positive that could come from it. Fun possibly for the fans traveling, but the University would take another You Don't Belong there hit just like Miami in 2001.

We are an average team with a whole lot of problems guys, the last thing this program needs is a butt stomping we would get from Oregon.

Becareful what you wish for.

Oregon has not played a full game this year. Normally their O and Dlines are gone by mid second quarter. That is one of thier problems according to Scott Frost. No depth. They are trying to develop the backups, this in turn hurts the starters, as not a single one has played a full game, actually most not a full half.

We got beat by UCLA, trounced by Ohio State, lucked out by a missed field goal to Northwester, beat a wounded Michigan team, and have 4 games left that most seem to be toss ups. Oregon has beaten three ranked teams soundly, will beat a couple more by the end of the season and somehow we think we belong on the same field with them. You guys are simply amazing. Put your self in Oregon's shoes, what do you think our chances would be. I think you are looking at a dyanasty developing in the upper Northwest, not quite the one that Bama has, but I truly believe they are the best team in the country this year.

It would be like lambs to the slaughter and there is nothing positive that could come from it. Fun possibly for the fans traveling, but the University would take another You Don't Belong there hit just like Miami in 2001.

We are an average team with a whole lot of problems guys, the last thing this program needs is a butt stomping we would get from Oregon.

I don't think anyone here is saying we belong on the same field as Oregon. It's just the nature of the beast and a realistic possibility as things lie right now.

With a month to prepare coupled with Oregons disappointment of not being in the big game, who knows. Remember the holiday bowl rematch with UW.

Glad to see you are still so high on the Huskers. You must be great fun to watch a game with. :hmmph Putting myself in Oregon's shoes I would think we have a chance against them. If they have geared there whole year into playing for the MNC and then don't get the chance to play in it, they may not be quite so up to play in the Rose Bowl for the 3X in 4 years. Think NU vs. Washington in the Holiday bowl or Alabama vs. Utah a few years ago in the Fiesta bowl I think.