Nebraska vs an undefeated Oregon

He's actually on your side....

I'm aware of that now. I apologized.

Haven't we known how close we are to the top tier since 2009?

I'd like to think that, as a team and coaching unit, we've improved overall since then (despite losing some games we shouldn't have lost). I don't know for sure one way or another, which is exactly why I'd like to see us play a team like Oregon.

I think we still have four tough games. If we win all of those, and the conference championship (tainted) which would be a first for Coach Pelini, then we could consider the ramifications of facing an undefeated Oregon team.

Should we be afraid to play them? No, but there are two avenues we go down. Win, it will be Oregon did not want to be there, but it would help our recruiting tremendously. Lose, we were supposed to, but if the score gets out of hand, which I feel it would, as all have so far this year from them, it could really hurt recruiting, and we need every positive on that, that we can get.

I doubt we win 8 games in row, we are an average team in a below average conference.

I am not concerned about a loss to Oregon, unless it is so bad it hurts us down the road. They have the capabilities of putting up big numbers on pretty much anyone. I truly think they give Bama a run for their money if they play this year.

There are people now putting up Oregon's Qb for the Hypsman, he leads the conference in a lot of areas I guess. Oregon is fast, I do not see us containing their offense. They are not Michigan or Northwestern. They are the leader of a pretty good conference and will be pissed as hell if they do not get to the MNC game.

I would rather see us in a game, where we belong, with a good chance at winning. This program needs wins, not the chance of a major embarsement.

While you say the B1G championship title would be tainted..............I'd argue how can you say that? Yes, Ohio State beat us in the regular season by A LOT. Doesn't mean they would beat us again in the championship game. It's very hard to beat the same team twice in a season and if we play Wisconsin in the championship game, if we both get there, it'll be a tough task for us to beat them again. Ohio State is in the Leaders division, not the Legends so I don't think it's tainted at all? We would still have to play the game to decide who would win it.....................yes?

I'm not sure how one could not see it as tainted. In a normal year, Wisconsin wouldn't have a snowballs chance in hades of even making the B1G Championship game because of their losses. Penn State and Ohio State are both in their division and neither can play in the title game. There's a reason TO wanted a one year shake-up of the divisions. I'll be more than happy with winning the B1G this year, but it doesn't make it any less tainted.

Here's the excerpt from the RIttenberg chat:

Kyle from Denton, Texas, writes: Adam, what are the chances the Huskers end up playing Oklahoma in the Rose Bowl this year? My thinking is very high since the Big 12 doesn't have a championship game and the SEC and the Pac-12 do... that could end up pushing Oregon into the NCG. Oklahoma sits at #12 right now and if they win out will be eligible for an At-Large bid. If Nebraska wins out could we expect to see this match up in the Rose Bowl? I don't see how the bowl selection committee could pass this potential game up.

Adam Rittenberg: Kyle, this won't happen because the Rose Bowl still will select another team from the Pac-12. The Rose Bowl only must select a non-Big Ten or Pac-12 team once in a four-year cycle when it loses one of its conference champions and an eligible team from a non-automatic-qualifying conference is eligible. That's why you saw the Rose Bowl, after losing Oregon to the national title game in 2010, select TCU to face Big Ten champion Wisconsin. So it doesn't matter if Oklahoma is eligible for an at-large bid. The Rose Bowl will select a Pac-12 opponent -- USC, Oregon State, Stanford being the likely candidates -- if it loses Oregon to the title game.

He doesn't say they are forced to take a Pac-12 team, but says they will. I don't think it's that cut and dried, especially if an unbeaten Notre Dame is available.

I just asked the guys this on Twitter and they immediately responded:

Rittenberg/Bennett@ESPN_BigTen

To clarify, the Rose Bowl will pick a Pac-12 team if it loses champ to title game and as long as one finishes in the top 14.

So it looks like their assuming that:

• Oregon beats USC, Stanford, and Oregon St.
  • Oregon beats USC/UCLA in the Championship.
  • Stanford/Oregon St. sneak into the Top 14. (They still have to face each other, also).

That's a lot of assumptions.

Under this logic, we will face the winner of the Stanford v. Oregon St. game.

UPDATE:

@ESPN_BigTen Essentially, it will be the winner of the Oregon St. v. Stanford game if they can sneak into Top 14. Think that will happen?

Agree. Ore St should

BRI,

Not intended to be a slap at Nebraska, we really have choice in the matter. But most football fans will feel we or anyone else that lost to Ohio State does not belong their, of course Ohio State has to finish undefeated.

You know as well if the shoe was on the other foot we would feel we won the conference and so would most fans.

Not a bad thing for us, but the credit for doing it will not be the same. Compound that with a terrible loss in the Rose to Oregon (not certain but highly likely) you can imagine the comments and the recruits reaction.

It appears if all goes at it should, we really are in a no win situation if we end up with Oregon. Any of the others, I think we stand a chance, not really sure, but do not feel it would be a massacre.

Again, I do not look at it as a negative, just the situation we are in.

Stil way too many games for this team to even worry about it now.

BRI,

Not intended to be a slap at Nebraska, we really have choice in the matter. But most football fans will feel we or anyone else that lost to Ohio State does not belong their, of course Ohio State has to finish undefeated.

You know as well if the shoe was on the other foot we would feel we won the conference and so would most fans.

Not a bad thing for us, but the credit for doing it will not be the same. Compound that with a terrible loss in the Rose to Oregon (not certain but highly likely) you can imagine the comments and the recruits reaction.

It appears if all goes at it should, we really are in a no win situation if we end up with Oregon. Any of the others, I think we stand a chance, not really sure, but do not feel it would be a massacre.

I see what you're saying I'm just trying not to look at it that way...................I do agree if we meet up with Oregon it could get very ugly quickly if the defense doesn't start getting better and in a hurry. I know they've gotten better, but they have a long ways to go to meet up with Oregon. I think our offense could hang with their defense, but their offense against our defense...............................brutal!

I think we still have four tough games. If we win all of those, and the conference championship (tainted) which would be a first for Coach Pelini, then we could consider the ramifications of facing an undefeated Oregon team.

Should we be afraid to play them? No, but there are two avenues we go down. Win, it will be Oregon did not want to be there, but it would help our recruiting tremendously. Lose, we were supposed to, but if the score gets out of hand, which I feel it would, as all have so far this year from them, it could really hurt recruiting, and we need every positive on that, that we can get.

I doubt we win 8 games in row, we are an average team in a below average conference.

I am not concerned about a loss to Oregon, unless it is so bad it hurts us down the road. They have the capabilities of putting up big numbers on pretty much anyone. I truly think they give Bama a run for their money if they play this year.

There are people now putting up Oregon's Qb for the Hypsman, he leads the conference in a lot of areas I guess. Oregon is fast, I do not see us containing their offense. They are not Michigan or Northwestern. They are the leader of a pretty good conference and will be pissed as hell if they do not get to the MNC game.

I would rather see us in a game, where we belong, with a good chance at winning. This program needs wins, not the chance of a major embarsement.

While you say the B1G championship title would be tainted..............I'd argue how can you say that? Yes, Ohio State beat us in the regular season by A LOT. Doesn't mean they would beat us again in the championship game. It's very hard to beat the same team twice in a season and if we play Wisconsin in the championship game, if we both get there, it'll be a tough task for us to beat them again. Ohio State is in the Leaders division, not the Legends so I don't think it's tainted at all? We would still have to play the game to decide who would win it.....................yes?

I'm not sure how one could not see it as tainted. In a normal year, Wisconsin wouldn't have a snowballs chance in hades of even making the B1G Championship game because of their losses. Penn State and Ohio State are both in their division and neither can play in the title game. There's a reason TO wanted a one year shake-up of the divisions. I'll be more than happy with winning the B1G this year, but it doesn't make it any less tainted.

I agree if you look at their division, but none of those teams are in our division so they can play the crystal ball scenario all they want. Regardless of what they say we would have to play the game to know the outcome. I guarantee you they wouldn't have the same results again cause the defense is starting to "get it" and by the end of the year should be humming along fairly well.

I don't see any rule that says they have to take a Pac-12 team if Oregon goes to the title game. They can, as long as there is a Pac-12 team remaining in the top 14 of the BCS Standings. If so, they will lean that way because they don't like the backlash from people, but it's not required of them.

There is a legitimate chance that neither Oregon St. nor Stanford will be in the final top 14. But even if one is, there is still a case to be made for Notre Dame. If Notre Dame is undefeated (12-0, ranked #3) and the Rose Bowl has a chance to select them over, say, #13, 10-2 Stanford, I don't think they could pass it up. They will try to calm the traditionalists by saying Knute Rockne and ND played in a great Rose Bowl in the 20s.

There's a lot of lore for the Rose Bowl game and Notre Dame is part of that. So they're already part of our family. They're a very celebrated team with a large fan following and they're playing great football again.
-Rose Bowl Game CAO Kevin Ash

Minnesota and Iowa will not be tough games. There is a difference between a game where the team has to just stay focused and do its job, and a tough game. Chmapionship teams do that. Seeing if they can is a good thing.

Barring a disaster, Oregon is playing for the title. USC, as I predicted to a drunk Knapplc in a Lazlo's bar, is smoke and mirrors. They're two all world recievers, a decent QB and not much else. They won't lose out, but the potential is there. Oregon St will be interesting, but I think the Ducks are too much. Stanford plays good, disciplined football, but isn't nearly as athletic. If on the off chance they do end up in Pasadena, well I think NU would be in a lot of trouble. However, I will say Oregon has a bit of a reputation for coming out flat after a month layoff in their bowl games.

You don't think this team can win 8 straight, and is average. I point to your accuracy in most of your predictions.

Here's the excerpt from the RIttenberg chat:

Kyle from Denton, Texas, writes: Adam, what are the chances the Huskers end up playing Oklahoma in the Rose Bowl this year? My thinking is very high since the Big 12 doesn't have a championship game and the SEC and the Pac-12 do... that could end up pushing Oregon into the NCG. Oklahoma sits at #12 right now and if they win out will be eligible for an At-Large bid. If Nebraska wins out could we expect to see this match up in the Rose Bowl? I don't see how the bowl selection committee could pass this potential game up.

Adam Rittenberg: Kyle, this won't happen because the Rose Bowl still will select another team from the Pac-12. The Rose Bowl only must select a non-Big Ten or Pac-12 team once in a four-year cycle when it loses one of its conference champions and an eligible team from a non-automatic-qualifying conference is eligible. That's why you saw the Rose Bowl, after losing Oregon to the national title game in 2010, select TCU to face Big Ten champion Wisconsin. So it doesn't matter if Oklahoma is eligible for an at-large bid. The Rose Bowl will select a Pac-12 opponent -- USC, Oregon State, Stanford being the likely candidates -- if it loses Oregon to the title game.

He doesn't say they are forced to take a Pac-12 team, but says they will. I don't think it's that cut and dried, especially if an unbeaten Notre Dame is available.

I just asked the guys this on Twitter and they immediately responded:

To clarify, the Rose Bowl will pick a Pac-12 team if it loses champ to title game and as long as one finishes in the top 14.

So it looks like their assuming that:

• Oregon beats USC, Stanford, and Oregon St.
  • Oregon beats USC/UCLA in the Championship.
  • Stanford/Oregon St. sneak into the Top 14. (They still have to face each other, also).

That's a lot of assumptions.

Under this logic, we will face the winner of the Stanford v. Oregon St. game.

UPDATE:

@ESPN_BigTen Essentially, it will be the winner of the Oregon St. v. Stanford game if they can sneak into Top 14. Think that will happen?

Agree. Ore St should

"Will" and "Must" are two different things. I have never seen anywhere that they must pick a Pac 12 team.

BRI,

And 10 years from now, only Ohio State fans MIGHT remember that.

They don't HAVE to, but they will. The Rose Bowl wants a Pac 12 team. Getting them to agree to take a non-Pac12 team every four years was like pulling teeth. The Rose Bowl is loyal to the Pac 12 and B1G.

JTrain made an interesting observation regarding Notre Dame and the Rose Bowl. I will be curious to see if they do take Notre Dame. You see, Notre Dame is a very popular team....on the east coast and midwest. You have a better chance of finding a leprechaun on the west coast than you do a Notre Dame fan. That will be interesting if they have to choose between Notre Dame and a 2 loss Oregon State team.

There are plenty of ND fans in the LA area, have seen them represent quite well against the Trojans. Notre Dame travels well. They would fill up the stadium I think.

If they end up in the Rose Bowl, they would be even more butt hurt than Oregon. Remember they are Notre Dame.

I would not mind seeing them in a game, just really do not see us being competitive with Oregon.