Shatel rips Pelini

tschu

Its just funny. Last night the huskers played uninspired football. Wisconsin had weeks to prepare for the championship game. So was Bo out coached yep, totally. Is all lost, no. I was ever bit as upset last night as the next guy. Should last night have been a wake up call for the huskers? About as much as a bucket of ice water would be. Some big changes need to be made but all honestly listening to the "fans" if Bo gets fired or Fires his entire staff I would be afraid where we would be coming up. We got dominated, its happened before. This team doesnt have any identity and last night i loved see Rex back but any thing we had through the 6 game streak was gone. The fans that want Pelini fired after any loss wouldnt be happy if this team was undefeated. And the people that dont think some changes do need to be made need a wake up call also

How can you say this? I've been a firm supporter in Bo...until the Ohio State game this year. Now I'm wondering if he can make the hard choices as a HC and get experienced staff in place. If the staff stays intact this offseason after our SEC beatdown in a few weeks then I will believe Bo should be fired. That said if next season the pieces fall into place and we actually look to be making steps forward then I'll start to believe again.

Just tired of people generalizing everyone. It's a dumb thing to say an undefeated head coach would still bring complaints because they are complaining about yet ANOTHER ugly loss.

I wonder what happens when we go out and win our bowl game. Seriously, I can't read anything the media puts out there after wins or losses, because they are the epitome of hypocritical.

You actually think that NU is going to win it's bowl game against aTm or an SEC team with this defense? That is hysterically funny. I hope for your sake you are joking and are not serious because that line of thinking is borderline delusional.

Why shouldn't we think that NU is going to win its bowl game? Create some huge momentum for 2013, sorry for having faith in a team.

Faith...you're delerious. Have you been watching this team all season? The last 5 seasons? We wilt in the spotlight. We get exposed by teams with superior talent. All our momentum is now gone. You lose a close game it slows down the momentum. You get embarrassed in a game you are favored to win....momentum gone. Georgia's pissed, Texas A&M will either be playing with the heisman qb or pissed and out to prove he should have been, LSU may be a game where we don't come in with a serious mental disadvantage but again....when has a Bo Pelini team ever beat a team with much more talent?

You guys keep complaining about Pelini.. I saw a bunch of plays with guys in position to make a tackle that didn't.. (And I watched the whole brutal thing) With the exception of a few glaring busts it came down to poor angles and missed tackles.. Bo's a Darn good coach who might have to reconfigure some staffing issues players and coaches.. Becareful what you wish for do you think any coach worth his salt would take this job when the fan base is complaining about a 10 win season..

Watch Stafford miss tackles on the first 3 plays of the game!

I think PJ Smith actually provided the reason for this mess. He said something to the fact that 'if one guy misses his assignment, the play is going for six'.

If Pelini doesn't have the talent to run, basically a man-to-man, at every spot, then he should be adjusting his scheme to make sure players aren't on an island like that. This is no different than Michigan not being properly prepared when Robinson went down, or not having the guts to put in Gardner if he was their better option. Coaches, and Pelini is apparently no different, get stuck on their scheme even if they don't have the personnel to fully execute it.

This always concerns me when you have to have every man play to a perfect assignment to "execute" the defense. It is always a Pelini self-fulfilling prophecy..."we didn't execute, we knew 99% of their plays, we practiced it" and "I don't know what happened" answers. We are always in panic mode before the snap not knowing what the hell we are doing. If somebody ends up confused, we get burned with a big play. This year we had no Lavonte David or Eric Hagg to save our assess when an assignment was missed. This defense has to just be chucked, thrown into the garbage, lit on fire and burned to the ground. Wisky exploited this against us moving formations late, having us panic and react and then handing the ball up the middle...had to be frustrating..."coach, we all got in position but then it was a simple hand off". This hold the point of attack/contain...mostly garbage also. Chase Rome...get off your block and make a play. You can't expect all 11 players to run as a perfect unit the entire game. I heard Bielema after the game and he said something to the effect of "on defense we have knowledge on the field and our guys have leeway to adjust and react to what they are seeing". With Pelini, if you miss the exact spot where he wanted you then you are getting chewed out. We gotta scrap this crap defensive scheme, simplify things, and put some playmakers on the field.

in 2009, bo pelini coached a championship caliber defense. at OU and LSU, bo coached championship defenses. bo has not changes, his players have. he needs to get better players, yesterday and he needs to better scout his own team, learn their defects, and coach to their strength.

And that is the argument right now the Bo does not have the horses to execute his ways. It's also one of the points against Bo I agree with. I wish he wouldve changed scheme to match what he does have talent-wize until he is able to get that talent back here. His scheme relies on great DT play. He had that at OU (but remember, at OU he was only a co-dc, and I'm not sure he was even that much as much as it was Stoops throwing him a bone until he hooked up with Les Miles) and he had Glen Dorsey at LSU. He had Suh here, and even the year after Suh, he had a full-blown NFL secondary. Yes, all those guys are playing in the NFL now and making contributions. I still dont see any need for changes in staff. Just changes in approach. Obviously some things were addressed mentally last offseason, and the results were positive in my mind with us being able to accomplish so many comebacks.

We cannot expect the fruits of labor that require continuity if we keep rolling our staff over each year. Folks want Papuchis gone. He's only had one year. Let him grow. Folks wanted Beck gone last year. Year 2? Vast improvement. Some want Kaz gone. He's had one year with an empty cupboard, with the most talented guys(on paper) redshirting.

I personally would like to see changes in defensive play. Start dictating to the offense what they can do instead of reacting. My opinion. Offensively-slow the tempo down a bit. Our playcalling is fine for the most part, but when I'm watching a game and we're trying to go up tempo to catch the defense off-guard, I feel like we're doing more harm than good. I think we're just putting ourselves into this panicking mindset-on both sides of the ball. I dont mind the no huddle, I dont mind the playcalling. Just the tempo. We cant argue that it is nice to have that tempo ability in our pocket, because it is effective when we've needed it.

I think even a patient perpsective on the reasonably representative 5 years of the Bo Pelini era suggests it's pretty easy to outcoach him.

And given the shellacking his teams have taken in big games, combining undisciplined offense, defense and special teams, he's earned the right to be humble.

Going off on reporters only makes him look like a bigger prick than he is.

He also took a shot at the press when we won.

He's prickly. He's petulant. It's a bad look. If you're a top recruit with multiple choices, what makes you want to come play for Bo Pelini?

His reputation as a defensive guru?

If you're worried about Nebraska being able to find a new coach if we fire Pelini, ask yourselves which colleges would be anxious to scoop up 10 game winner, Bo Pelini?

It wouldn't be a top tier program, and I'm pretty sure even the most patient Husker fan wants to believe we're still a top tier program.

I think even a patient perpsective on the reasonably representative 5 years of the Bo Pelini era suggests it's pretty easy to outcoach him.

And given the shellacking his teams have taken in big games, combining undisciplined offense, defense and special teams, he's earned the right to be humble.

Going off on reporters only makes him look like a bigger prick than he is.

He also took a shot at the press when we won.

He's prickly. He's petulant. It's a bad look. If you're a top recruit with multiple choices, what makes you want to come play for Bo Pelini?

His reputation as a defensive guru?

If you're worried about Nebraska being able to find a new coach if we fire Pelini, ask yourselves which colleges would be anxious to scoop up 10 game winner, Bo Pelini?

It wouldn't be a top tier program, and I'm pretty sure even the most patient Husker fan wants to believe we're still a top tier program.

There. cherry on the cake right there. That is the point. We're NOT. We may not ever be again. One things for sure, if we fire another consistent 9 game winner because we "deserve better" we never will be again. Unfortunately, we have gravitated to this point. We can take a stab in the dark and start over with someone else and hope to catch the next up&comer coach, or just hold on to the consistency we have with faith that it will improve.

On things for sure is no'ones getting fired now. We might as well support and hope for the best for another year. If we win another 10 games, we'll have to do it for another year. That's just my thoughts on the situation and I understand the restlessness.

Shatel is THEE worst sports writer with the World Herald.

HEY SHATEL,

THERE IS A REASON THE OMAHA WORLD HERALD IS BANKRUPT. BECAUSE NOBODY WANTS TO BUY SUBSCRIPTIONS FOR THE sh#t YOU WRITE BECAUSE I'VE SEEN SWEAT SOCKS WRITE BETTER ARTICLES.

WHAT WAS WRONG WITH THE ARTICLE?

Not necessarily the article, rather his entire body of work.

For example? I can't say that I have ever read a bad Shatel article.

"

Agree. I think EZ-E is drinking some kool aid. :dunno

in 2009, bo pelini coached a championship caliber defense. at OU and LSU, bo coached championship defenses. bo has not changes, his players have. he needs to get better players, yesterday and he needs to better scout his own team, learn their defects, and coach to their strength.

So is the rub: he can't recruit? If so, how long do we give him to recruit better players? These were his Seniors. If next year isn't much better wt this year's Jrs and Soph and Redshirts - I don't think we string the experiment out any longer.