Magical ride for Nebraska's Martinez

knapplc

Allow me to jump off topic for a second then hopefully bring it all back together. When I was a young man in college I met a young lady who caught my eye. She was pretty, fun to be with, a little bit flirty and attentive. I eventually fell in love, married her and we raised 3 good sons. She is a good mother, had a decent job for 38 years (recently retired). There was a stretch in our early marriage when I thought the grass might be greener on the other side. I started focusing on my perceived faults of her and wondering if I made the right choice. It took me a few years to realize, she is who she is, and I could go through life accepting her better qualities or ruining my marriage by focusing on her lesser qualities.

That's a great story, but we'd all still like to see your wife win that elusive conference championship before we judge her. ;)

• Fire 2

I'll admit, I've said some things about Taylor in the past that weren't very flattering, to say the least. Yeah, I get as frustrated as anybody when he turns the ball over, but I don't take it out on him like I used to. I've really grown to respect Taylor a lot over the last couple years. There was a time when it seemed like all Husker fans wanted was to see was the QB behind him on the depth chart, and it seemed all but a foregone conclusion that he was going to transfer to UCLA, but he stayed with us, worked his ass off to improve, and always gives 100% when he's on the field.

I remember a thread on HuskerBoard a couple years ago or so about how we'd rank the last several quarterbacks here at Nebraska (I think it was starting with Crouch in 2001), and I had Martinez ranked somewhere in the middle. If Taylor can cut down on the turnovers next year, he may very well move up to #1 on that list. Possibly even one of the best Husker QBs of all time.

I'm ready for one more year of T-Magic.

Taylor Martinez gets an unnecessary bad rap in most circles. His style of play is not the usual polish of college QBs who come from the highly touted high school programs. However, he is an extremely gifted athlete who has overcome adversity and accomplished great deeds at the University of Nebraska. I shutter to think what his numbers would be if he had the offensive lines of the early to mid 1990's. Personally, I think he would have been equal to or better than Frazier, Frost and Crouch. The numbers won't lie. By the time he graduates, baring injury, he will have set the bar unreasonably high for future QBs who come to play football at NU. He has done his part on the team, the rest of the team needs to step up and do their part.

I don't really think Martinez can accurately be compared to either Frazier or Frost. Frazier was the best field general we've ever had here at NU. He demanded respect, and he demanded everyone doing their jobs. Most of the team didn't care for Frazier, but they sure as heck had the utmost respect for him. If an OL missed a block, Frazier was the first one there biting on their a$$. Martinez just isn't this kind of leader, and he never will be. Frost was completely different as well. The way Frost played the QB position and the way Martinez play the QB position are about as different as night and day. The only QB on your list I can draw some comparisons to is Crouch. Martinez has better RB's than Crouch had, but Crouch had a better OL.

Taylor Martinez gets an unnecessary bad rap in most circles. His style of play is not the usual polish of college QBs who come from the highly touted high school programs. However, he is an extremely gifted athlete who has overcome adversity and accomplished great deeds at the University of Nebraska. I shutter to think what his numbers would be if he had the offensive lines of the early to mid 1990's. Personally, I think he would have been equal to or better than Frazier, Frost and Crouch. The numbers won't lie. By the time he graduates, baring injury, he will have set the bar unreasonably high for future QBs who come to play football at NU. He has done his part on the team, the rest of the team needs to step up and do their part.

I would place him 3rd - I think he will surpass Crouch in the minds of most Husker fans. However, Tommy and Scott had that leadership quality that Taylor has yet to develop. Scott was more vocal in that way and I think Tommy did it with his actions (and getting into the face of those who messed up) - perhaps not as personable as Scott by what I hear. We did see shadows of Tommy and Scott in Taylor's efforts to bring us back from behind in those 4 games. He was Crouch like (Crouch's run vs Mo) in how he broke that 76 yard run against Wisky. If Taylor can win a CCG and help us to a top 5 or so finish next year - I think he deserves to be mentioned in the top 3 or 4 (Turner Gill will always be regarded in that top tier as well). He will have the stats to be on the top, but the leadership qualities and a trophy would cement him as one of the all time greats at NU.

I would place him 3rd - I think he will surpass Crouch in the minds of most Husker fans. However, Tommy and Scott had that leadership quality that Taylor has yet to develop. Scott was more vocal in that way and I think Tommy did it with his actions (and getting into the face of those who messed up) - perhaps not as personable as Scott by what I hear. We did see shadows of Tommy and Scott in Taylor's efforts to bring us back from behind in those 4 games. He was Crouch like (Crouch's run vs Mo) in how he broke that 76 yard run against Wisky. If Taylor can win a CCG and help us to a top 5 or so finish next year - I think he deserves to be mentioned in the top 3 or 4 (Turner Gill will always be regarded in that top tier as well). He will have the stats to be on the top, but the leadership qualities and a trophy would cement him as one of the all time greats at NU.

I don't disagree! However, unless he has the supporting cast around him, he will not have the championships, top rankings and trophies he deserves. One player cannot do it by himself. Look at the offensive line that the other QBs I mentioned had. What do you think Martinez's numbers would be if he had the real pipeline in front of him?

For everyone harping on the nation-leading fumble statistic, this is my question...

How many times has Taylor cost us a game in the closing moments, when it was either succeed or fail and he failed? UCLA is the only game that comes to mind.

How many times has Taylor won us a game by making plays, when it was either succeed or fail? Ohio State, Michigan State, Northwestern, Wisconsin, at least.

Yeah at least he's good enough, most of the time, to get the team out of the holes he digs.

• Fire 2

Probably for another thread altogether but does anyone see him playing in the NFL? Which position and does it affect how he may be used next year. Also, for those who know TM personally(I've only spoken to him once at an Applebee's after a volleyball game, nice kid, LC was too) does he have any desire to play in the NFL? And does he have the same delusions as Crouch about playing QB?

Probably for another thread altogether but does anyone see him playing in the NFL? Which position and does it affect how he may be used next year. Also, for those who know TM personally(I've only spoken to him once at an Applebee's after a volleyball game, nice kid, LC was too) does he have any desire to play in the NFL? And does he have the same delusions as Crouch about playing QB?

I don't see him playing. Maybe, maybe a WR. Doesn't seem shifty enough to play DB.

I'd say every college player would love to someday make it to the NFL, most quickly accept that it won't happen. IMO Martinez wouldn't have been with the QB coach last season if he wasn't trying to help position himself to go to the NFL as a QB. It's also why I don't forsee his fumbling getting much better. This summer will be spent on mechanics and things that will improve his draft stock (passing). Not many execs are going to worry about the fumbling issues, because he won't be running the ball in the NFL.

Kick-offs might be interesting, but I see his strength more running AWAY from people than running around them. That lends itself to a quick burst and then setting up the DBs who are already running away from him so he can make cuts in space. I DON'T see him juking many guys on a kick-off who are running towards him. jmho

I don't really think Martinez can accurately be compared to either Frazier or Frost. Frazier was the best field general we've ever had here at NU. He demanded respect, and he demanded everyone doing their jobs. Most of the team didn't care for Frazier, but they sure as heck had the utmost respect for him. If an OL missed a block, Frazier was the first one there biting on their a$$. Martinez just isn't this kind of leader, and he never will be. Frost was completely different as well. The way Frost played the QB position and the way Martinez play the QB position are about as different as night and day. The only QB on your list I can draw some comparisons to is Crouch. Martinez has better RB's than Crouch had, but Crouch had a better OL.

Nothing against Helu, Rex and AA, but Crouch had Dan and Buck. Dan was a 240 lb speedster (although he was easy to tackle), and Buckhalter was big, fast, shifty and could catch. He survived in the NFL many years despite multiple knee injuries. If I had a choice I would trade our current running backs for Dan & Buck; especially with the Rex injury.