TE Brandon Vandenburg

Ed Helms

Hey, when you are a TE you need to block at times. Also, we do need to get back to using TEs more than we have in the last couple years. Look how offenses are evolving. They started using the middle of the field back awhile ago, then teams started using the sidelines areas more, and now offense are reverting back to trying to use the middle of the field alot more and a good TE is key for that. Spread offenses and versions of them open up the middle of the field.

Tight ends will be involved in this offense. Look at the game against Georgia, if Cotton had any damn speed to him he could have had a touch down. Kyler Reed averaged the second highest yards per catch on the team. Tight ends are important play makers for us.

They are, but we don't use them near enough. Seriously, how many big plays except for the Mich St catch did Reed have for us?

Tight ends will be involved in this offense. Look at the game against Georgia, if Cotton had any damn speed to him he could have had a touch down. Kyler Reed averaged the second highest yards per catch on the team. Tight ends are important play makers for us.

They are, but we don't use them near enough. Seriously, how many big plays except for the Mich St catch did Reed have for us?

He had like ~20 catches? Which was like 4th on the team I think. You are right, we do need to use the tight ends more. Some of that is on Taylor, some is on Kyler and Cotton, and some is on Beck. I'm in total agreement with you, the TE spot is a spot that needs to be a weapon in the spread offense. Having that big guy in the middle of the field that can make plays and is a match up nightmare is just an amazing thing to have.

Man, if we could have a good tight end step up, or if we can land one . . . . With Kenny, Jamal and Quincy, on the outside, having Ameer or Braylon, and a TE with good hands and decent speed, we could have 3 to 4 home run hitters on the field (plus Taylor, who can run with the best of them).

I always read where people want a certain player to get more touches of the ball. We have probably the best WR group in the Big Ten and I think it's pretty high up there in the nation. We also have some very good RBs here and coming in next year. We then have a QB that is a home run threat any time he runs the ball.

So, I agree that it would be great to have the TEs more involved. But, then, who do you take touches away from? Who do you think got the ball more than they should have this year?

Not everybody can get 5 receptions a game. We're loaded at WR where we're going to have an easy rotation of 5 or 6 guys next year. Add 2 TE's with 25-30 passes a game and that only averages 3-4 receptions for each guy we play a game. Some guys are going to get more touches than others depending on what defenses give us. Should our TE's get more touches? Couldn't hurt, but lets not force the issue. Take what the defense gives us. And with Beck's offense, we're going to have lots of options and lots of weapons.

Not everybody can get 5 receptions a game. We're loaded at WR where we're going to have an easy rotation of 5 or 6 guys next year. Add 2 TE's with 25-30 passes a game and that only averages 3-4 receptions for each guy we play a game. Some guys are going to get more touches than others depending on what defenses give us. Should our TE's get more touches? Couldn't hurt, but lets not force the issue. Take what the defense gives us. And with Beck's offense, we're going to have lots of options and lots of weapons.

Some think that is way too much passing.

Well considering Beck and Bo want balance between pass/run and I think we're a team more than capable of running 70 O plays a game. It's actually on the low side. But yeah I don't know why people think that's too much passing with the weapons we have.

Well considering Beck and Bo want balance between pass/run and I think we're a team more than capable of running 70 O plays a game. It's actually on the low side. But yeah I don't know why people think that's too much passing with the weapons we have.

Agreed. I think in all truthfulness, Beck would like to run at least 80-85 O plays a game, so your looking at 35-40ish passes. Now you're not gonna completely be perfect but 75% would be 25-30 completions.

Agreed. I think in all truthfulness, Beck would like to run at least 80-85 O plays a game, so your looking at 35-40ish passes. Now you're not gonna completely be perfect but 75% would be 25-30 completions.

True that, true that.