DT Next Year

Warrior10

Been watching the recruiting page, and some people act like the world is going to come to an end if we don't get JUCO DT's. Now, do I think Hooks or Russell would have helped? Yes. But I don't think we need to reach down and get a JUCO if they do not meet our standards. I fully expect Vince V. to step in next year and lock down one DT spot right away. People forget this guy was a HUGE (no pun intended) get, we straight up stole him from some top tier programs. He tore it up his RS year in practice (according to reports). VV is the run stopper, demands a double team, collapse the pocket guy we need in the middle. As for the other spot... I feel like someone between Rome, Peat (if he gets his back/act together), Curry, Williams or a rotation of these guys will step up and do a serviceable job. They were young guys this year. It may seem like Rome has been here awhile but he is still young.

Been watching the recruiting page, and some people act like the world is going to come to an end if we don't get JUCO DT's. Now, do I think Hooks or Russell would have helped? Yes. But I don't think we need to reach down and get a JUCO if they do not meet our standards. I fully expect Vince V. to step in next year and lock down one DT spot right away. People forget this guy was a HUGE (no pun intended) get, we straight up stole him from some top tier programs. He tore it up his RS year in practice (according to reports). VV is the run stopper, demands a double team, collapse the pocket guy we need in the middle. As for the other spot... I feel like someone between Rome, Peat (if he gets his back/act together), Curry, Williams or a rotation of these guys will step up and do a serviceable job. They were young guys this year. It may seem like Rome has been here awhile but he is still young.

Yes, Rome wasn't built in a day........

• Fire 4

I think if there is any position in Bo's supposed over-complicated scheme in which a young-to-new player can come in and play right away, it would be the DT tackle spot. The thinking is that a DT probably doesnt have nearly as much mental processes involved by just gobbling up blocks and reading pass pro and trying to get to the qb. Personally, I think we'll be fine at the position. I'm more concerned with the youngins that will be playing linebacker. Yes, they are talented and athletic, but will they be able to mentally grasp their full responsibilities. Sure Bo could change up or simplify things, but have we seen anything in 5 years that suggests he would do that?, esp with having an experienced secondary next year that already has it down. Thus, the linebacker position worries me more than the DL.

I think if there is any position in Bo's supposed over-complicated scheme in which a young-to-new player can come in and play right away, it would be the DT tackle spot. The thinking is that a DT probably doesnt have nearly as much mental processes involved by just gobbling up blocks and reading pass pro and trying to get to the qb. Personally, I think we'll be fine at the position. I'm more concerned with the youngins that will be playing linebacker. Yes, they are talented and athletic, but will they be able to mentally grasp their full responsibilities. Sure Bo could change up or simplify things, but have we seen anything in 5 years that suggests he would do that?, esp with having an experienced secondary next year that already has it down. Thus, the linebacker position worries me more than the DL.

Too bad we couldn't find another players like Lavonte David who could come in and do what he did. If we had an LB who came in out of high school and had the feel of the game as he did and had him for 4 years, man that would be awesome. Any of the young kids have that feel for the game or possibly could have that type of feel for the game? We need a Dline that can actually put some pressure on the Qb consistently and that would definitely help out the LB corps as well. Currently we have a guy like Eric Martin who can occasionally disrupt the QB a few times a game, but other than that our rush has been on existent for the last few years. We get that to help the players behind them and our defense jumps to a new level darn near immediately. Until we get some rushers who can get some pressure on the QB we'll continue to get man handled by QB's that have some wheels.

Rome, Williams, Guy, Peat, Valentine, and Curry are the only DTs currently on the roster that I can think of. Rome is decent and is the only one who has actually been a significant contributor.

Just looked at the roster, and we also have Okuyemi, Randle is a Jr, and Jeff Uher who I assume is a walk-on. So Randle and Rome are probably going to start day one unless Curry or Valentine can beat one or both of them. The guy that I want to see stay healthy because I feel like he has done a decent job when he got in this year is Kevin Williams.

Overall, this is just a group that is plagued by injury. Randle, Peat, and Williams have all had injuries for most of their careers that have kept them off the field a lot. Hopefully that changes soon.

And another guy that could get moved inside is McMullen. I hope we find answers at DT so that doesn't have to happen, but he is listed right now at 280, and as a true freshman, I'm sure he has plenty of room to grow.

And another guy that could get moved inside is McMullen. I hope we find answers at DT so that doesn't have to happen, but he is listed right now at 280, and as a true freshman, I'm sure he has plenty of room to grow.

If anything, I hope S&C can trim him down and try to make him a little speedier to play defensive end. I'm kind of burned out on 280ish defensive tackles. Jared Crick made it work, but he was an anomaly.

We also need defensive ends in a bad way. The only real standout defensive end we've had in Pelini's era has been Eric Martin, and he only played about half of his Senior year, really.

If anything, I hope S&C can trim him down and try to make him a little speedier to play defensive end. I'm kind of burned out on 280ish defensive tackles. Jared Crick made it work, but he was an anomaly.

We also need defensive ends in a bad way. The only real standout defensive end we've had in Pelini's era has been Eric Martin, and he only played about half of his Senior year, really.

Agreed. Barry Turner was a pretty solid DE as well, but I just can't believe how much trouble we have getting good DL recruits here.

Too bad we couldn't find another players like Lavonte David who could come in and do what he did. If we had an LB who came in out of high school and had the feel of the game as he did and had him for 4 years, man that would be awesome. Any of the young kids have that feel for the game or possibly could have that type of feel for the game? We need a Dline that can actually put some pressure on the Qb consistently and that would definitely help out the LB corps as well. Currently we have a guy like Eric Martin who can occasionally disrupt the QB a few times a game, but other than that our rush has been on existent for the last few years. We get that to help the players behind them and our defense jumps to a new level darn near immediately. Until we get some rushers who can get some pressure on the QB we'll continue to get man handled by QB's that have some wheels.

It is pretty rare to see those 4 year contributors on defense. Only Wistrom, and Ralph Brown really come to mind.

Defensive line depth is, IMO, the toughest problem to solve on any defense, especially when it comes to the interior guys. Finding guys that have the size to play inside plus that athletic ability that allows them to control the point of attack is hard to find. You can find guys who are athletic but don't have the size to take a beating from offensive guards. Or you can find guys that have size, but no athletic ability and they tend to get pushed around. I think Bob Stoops has been struggling with the same issue down at OU for a while now.

On a side note, I always find it interesting when fans tinker with the notion of the 3-4 which basically requires one DT to do the work of two guys in clogging up the middle so the 4LBs can flow and make plays.

IMO, hitting these JUCO DTs would have turned a good-great season into a great-amazing season next year. Everyone knows the offense should be fine next year. On defense, the secondary is loaded with talent and our linebackers are going to be much more athletic and probably more skilled too (just less experienced). The defensive line should be better too. We keep Ankrah and we get the top JUCU D-end. At DT, we still have Randle (if he can get/stay healthy), Rome and a lot of young talent. But there is no denying that those JUCO DTs would have stepped in and given us elite talent at all three levels on defense. Is our season screwed because we missed on those guys? I say no. But we missed out on some elite talent at our weakest position on defense.

Defensive line depth is, IMO, the toughest problem to solve on any defense, especially when it comes to the interior guys. Finding guys that have the size to play inside plus that athletic ability that allows them to control the point of attack is hard to find. You can find guys who are athletic but don't have the size to take a beating from offensive guards. Or you can find guys that have size, but no athletic ability and they tend to get pushed around. I think Bob Stoops has been struggling with the same issue down at OU for a while now.

On a side note, I always find it interesting when fans tinker with the notion of the 3-4 which basically requires one DT to do the work of two guys in clogging up the middle so the 4LBs can flow and make plays.

i really think a lot of people on here dont understand what a 3-4 defense is, its not a quick fix for the issues on the d-line you need a huge nose tackle that can demand double teams and still make plays while the defensive ends need to not only rush the passer but be big and strong enough to take up space and stop the run also outside linebackers in a 3-4 need to be hybrid guys that are pass rushers and be able to cover guys i'm not saying there isnt enough talent on the roster to do this but there would be some growing pains to transition to this kind of defense

Your missing McMullen in this whole paragraph. According to coaches, he has made the most improvement, besides Valentine on the line, and is most likely to earn a spot on the dline. If we don't land any DT's, its by far not the end of the world. Its not like you need a couple years of experience to play on the defensive line. The dline isn't the complicated part of Bo's defense. If we are going to a primary 3-4, I think we will rotate and keep guys fresh with Williams, Peat, Valentine, McMullen, Rome and Ankrah.

LB's will most likely be rotated with Anderson, Rose, Brown, Afalava, Santos, Pirman and possibly Gangwish.

Your missing McMullen in this whole paragraph. According to coaches, he has made the most improvement, besides Valentine on the line, and is most likely to earn a spot on the dline. If we don't land any DT's, its by far not the end of the world. Its not like you need a couple years of experience to play on the defensive line. The dline isn't the complicated part of Bo's defense. If we are going to a primary 3-4, I think we will rotate and keep guys fresh with Williams, Peat, Valentine, McMullen, Rome and Ankrah.

LB's will most likely be rotated with Anderson, Rose, Brown, Afalava, Santos, Pirman and possibly Gangwish.

What about Roach? I heard high praises on him and then things went quiet...