This should make you feel better

lo country

UGA runs the 3-4 defense. What's the most critical part of a successful 3-4? You're right, the NT. Teams that run the 3-4 well always have a All Conference/America level NT. UGA WILL NOT have one for this game. John Jenkins is academically ineligible for the game.

Their backup, Kwame Geathers (6"6', 350 lbs) is good, but he's not use to playing a whole game. His new backup will be Mike Thornton (6"1', 287 lbs) isn't a real NT for a 3-4, as he doesn't have the size/agility ratio needed.

He was pretty much locked up to be a 1st Round pick in the draft. This begs the question, who else on UGA's roster has their head somewhere else besides this game?

Furthermore, UGA's weakest aspect on their team is run defense, they just lost the person most critical to stopping that. I think this absence could result in you guys getting an additional 80 yards rushing, which now IMO, tips the game in your favor. The spread is still UGA giving 10-10.5, so it's time to take that bet. I predict in the 2nd half that you guys are going to start running b/w the tackles and grinding them for 4-6 yards a carry consistently. My advice would be to be a run favored team in this matchup and you'll wear their DL out.

http://uga.rivals.com/barrier_noentry.asp?ReturnTo=&sid=&script=content.asp&cid=1452921&fid=&tid=&mid=&rid=

oops, I started another thread about it before I saw this one. Besides Aaron Murray, this is the next player that they needed the most to win this game. Jarvis Jones would be 3rd. They are razor thin a NT and only have 1 other guy with quality snaps this season. He's really big and conditioning will be an issue. You guys need to RUN THE BALL B/W THE TACKLES, and you will wear them out by the 2nd half.

EDIT: merged by rawhide :)

I might be wrong but I think the back up is just as good and expected to declare early for the draft. It isn't that big of a loss for them.

CFB stats showing 37 total tackles with 5 being TFL. 15 solo and 22 assists. Unsure about the draft part, but hard to tell is there is a real "drop off" in production or stats are lower as he is not a starter.

I still can't help but think losing a starter has got to impact them negatively to a degree.

The sad thing is Geathers is bigger. Would be nice if we had the depth to not have to send a DE inside as a DT.

Well apparently they both play so losing one means the 3rd guy has to come in and maybe there's a drop off threre.

I believe Geathers played some at end..........so there is a little bit of depth infringement there..........

Geathers played primarily as a backup NT, he may have had a few snaps from an end position, but not many. Geathers and Jenkins rotated, b/c neither had the conditioning to run the defense all 4 quarters.

Still doesn't make me feel good, especially considering this does little to mitigate our defensive woes.

Georgia already had a weak run defense before this issue. We're still using the key components to our successful "Olé" title game defensive set, out of the "Matador" package.

LOL, the loss of one player on UGA's defensive front isnt going to magically make their defense collapse. We will still be lucky to keep this game within 3 TDs IMHO.

Nebraska losing one player on it's defensive front killed our defense against Wiscy. I don't think the importance of a dominant NT should be underestimated.

This^. Baker hurt us tremendously. Like Crick the year before, Fonzie in the secondary etc.....

LOL, the loss of one player on UGA's defensive front isnt going to magically make their defense collapse. We will still be lucky to keep this game within 3 TDs IMHO.

Nebraska losing one player on it's defensive front killed our defense against Wiscy. I don't think the importance of a dominant NT should be underestimated.

This^. Baker hurt us tremendously. Like Crick the year before, Fonzie in the secondary etc.....

UGA's got more talent on their defense than Nebraska, this will affect them but i doubt we put 70 on them

Don't compare Baker to their NT. don't compare Baker to their backup NT. Both would smack him around

Don't compare Baker to their NT. don't compare Baker to their backup NT. Both would smack him around

Baker 47 tackles with 7 TFL, Jenkins 50 tackles with 2.5 TFL. Don't think he would be smacked around. Oh, Baker also gives up like 60 lbs to those guys. Not bad. Both 2nd team in their respective conferences...........

Baker 47 tackles with 7 TFL, Jenkins 50 tackles with 2.5 TFL. Don't think he would be smacked around. Oh, Baker also gives up like 60 lbs to those guys. Not bad. Both 2nd team in their respective conferences...........

If you're comparing the B1G to the SEC.... lawlz.

I thought we were talking about NTs, not O-lineman??