1971 Nebraska vs. Oklahoma

dvdcrr

Since somebody put about 3/4 of the game on youtube I watched it recently and really enjoyed it. There was so much at stake, and it was a holiday game to boot. (Right?) Were any of you there, or do you have any cool memories of that game or season? Some of the cool things about college football from that era have been lost or forgotten. I liked the way they introduced the players to the camera, and that they showed the bands at halftime. The game flowed well, and was a joy to watch.

I was 4 yrs old. I remember i threw my animal crackers at the TV, when the refs blew that call, :angry: Got in big trouble for knocking the rabbit ears off our black and white console . Fond memories indeed. :thumbs

What call was blown? The only controversy I remember from that game is whether there was a block in the back on JR's punt return. I don't think there was, btw.

I agree that the game is a lot of fun to watch. So called experts today have said it's boring compaired to games today. These experts really aren't football fans. They just like big plays....

Huh?

Punt return for kick off?

gigantic 4th and 8? conversion?

I know right. I thought it was a fantastic game. Seeing our Hback's jersey all torn to shreds...

I was 8 years old and know that I watched the game but I've watched it so many times since, I'm not sure if I am remembering the actual live game or if it's due to the replays. I do remember we used to sort of judge how well that days I Back had done by how many jerseys he went through. The tear-aways were cool.

I remember watching at my Uncles - all of the family was together in S. Falls, SD finishing up the turkey. We all watched the game and red knuckled it through the 4th quarter. I was a Freshman in HS.

Johnny the Jet Rogers - Man, Woman and Child - did that put them in the aisle.

http://courtmerrigan.wordpress.com/2011/06/11/man-woman-and-child-did-that-put-em-in-the-aisles-and-watch-the-drumme/

I agree that the game is a lot of fun to watch. So called experts today have said it's boring compaired to games today. These experts really aren't football fans. They just like big plays....

Huh?

Punt return for kick off?

gigantic 4th and 8? conversion?

I know right. I thought it was a fantastic game. Seeing our Hback's jersey all torn to shreds...

This game is fun to watch for Nebraska fans. I'm sure people who don't have any ties to Nebraska or OU don't sit around on a Friday night just begging to watch 1971 Huskers vs. Sooners.

I feel the same way about most old games that Huskers aren't in that are rebroadcast on TV.

Hey, it was called the Game of the Century then, it lived up to the hype and it's still talked about today, even by non-Huskers.

I was 12. Happiest day of my young life, and that of every other kid in the neighborhood (Wedgewood, Lincoln, NE)

Fun fact: there was only one penalty for five yards called the entire game.

Well boys, I was 21 and living in Omaha at the time. During the commercial breaks, channel 3 I believe, would show different intersections in Omaha and Lincoln. It look like ghost towns. Not a living soul was to be seen. The Omaha water dept made statements that they couldn't keep up the water pressure during commercials and time outs. I attended 3 Husker/Sooner matchups during the 70's, I didn't make that game, could not get tickets. Tickets back then were much more difficult to get. The game itself was a on the edge of your seat from beg to end. Several of the older guys I was watching the game with started making the comment after halftime, that the winner would be the team that had the ball last. I'm not sure if many of you know this, but Okla had the #1 offense in the nation and the #2 defense, while the Huskers had the #1 defense and the #2 offense. It was the greatest matchup of a true #1 vs #2 in every aspect. The player for Okla that scared me the most Greg Pruitt, and Willie Harper shut him down the entire game. I still get chills remembering that game. I haven't watched any replays of the game. I don't think anything could have compared to the actual live event. As a little side note, after winning that game, Keith Jackson stated that the country was just treated the the NC game. The huskers went on the play the then #2 Alabama. Bear Bryant made several remarks about what the tide was going to do to the boys from the cornfields, Their tailback Russo, who was dubbed the Italian Stallion, (no kidding) was going to run all over us. On the first play for the bama offense, Rich Glover tackled him for a 6 yard loss as he got to his feet, Glover patted Russo on the back side and told him (I later found out) to get used to the position, cause he wasn't going anywhere on that day. Final score 38-6 Huskers, and Devaney wasn't one to run up the score, or it could have been much worse. GBR