Greatest Special Teams Player in NU History

TGHusker

Somebody posted this video a while back. It's gotta be one of the best special teams plays I've seen. Even though the refs gave the ball back to OU as a sympathy gift.

Thanks for posting NUance. I have seen that clip quite a few times but I never realized the context of the game and that they ruled the returner was down. What a terrible call. Great that we won despite that. Was that Coach Osborne's first win over Oklahoma?

Rigoni was the heart and sole of the ST's unit. I loved watching him play, and I was always watching where he was and where he was headed as I knew a huge hit was coming at all cost. I don't think any Husker has played harder. And I seem to remember Frank Solich being a ST for a short while. Too fairly little guys with hearts as big as they get.

Barron Miles. Who needs a punt returner when you can just walk up and take the ball off the P's foot?

^

I was just scrolling until someone said it.

Barron Miles was a beast. Wasn't it in the Fiesta bowl where he was going for a block on Florida and got flagged for offsides and when they lined up again, he still got the block?

Barron Miles. Who needs a punt returner when you can just walk up and take the ball off the P's foot?

^

Barron Miles was a beast. Wasn't it in the Fiesta bowl where he was going for a block on Florida and got flagged for offsides and when they lined up again, he still got the block?

I might have been thinking of Jamel Williams sack of Wuerffel. It's been so long ago.

^

I dont remember this. I do remember he blocked 2 punts against Pacific in 1994. He also had a block against Okla St in 1993 for a TD. I remember mostly his tremendous scrappy cover skills. Going one on one with the 6'3's and 6'4 likes of Chris T Jones and Tellison of Miami in '94 and never backing down.

^

I might have been thinking of Jamel Williams sack of Wuerffel. It's been so long ago.

That was a case of Farley first getting a sack that was marked down and the 1. Very next play Mcbride brought the heat again and Williams got the sack. Florida was spread 5 wide across the field. Mcbride went straight up man across and brought 6. 1 more blitzer than Florida could block with their 5 lineman. Farley and Williams came through the gaps untouched on consecutive plays. Then next year against Colorado, Neweisel tried the same thing late in the game and again, Mcbride scorched 'em with blitzes on back-to-back plays to hold on 4th down.

Check out the Fiest Bowl at the 47:45 mark and the Colorado game at the 2:20:30 mark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oj-tdLxX9NM

Ole McBride, when you went empty against him, he would just line em up press bump and run all the way across, step 2 extra guys in gaps so there were more blitzers than blockers and just get after it. man I wish we could still play like that. You might give up a long play or two throughout a game, which Charlies defense usually did, but the psychological effects on the qb were priceless-getting pounded on play after play, and teams didnt pick us apart for 4-500 yards/night either.

Lastly, as far as the Florida game goes, when that safety happened, as a 12 year old, I looked at my dad and said "we got this thing, Florida dont have a chance in hell". It was just clearly obvious at that point.

Man, does the Florida video bring back memories. Thanks for sharing. One of my 3 favorite games as a Husker, (victory agains miami thugs the year before and the 1971 game of the century against OU) It could have been much worse. We had 3rd stringers in and we kept on scoring. Florida was so demoralized. This was a "Total Victory" and "Absolute Surrender" if there ever was one. Tom showed class - having the our QB take a knee at the goal line when we could have easily scored again.

Man, does the Florida video bring back memories. Thanks for sharing. One of my 3 favorite games as a Husker, (victory agains miami thugs the year before and the 1971 game of the century against OU) It could have been much worse. We had 3rd stringers in and we kept on scoring. Florida was so demoralized. This was a "Total Victory" and "Absolute Surrender" if there ever was one. Tom showed class - having the our QB take a knee at the goal line when we could have easily scored again.

3rd stringers is right. Middle of the second quarter after the pick 6 by Booker, freshmen Mike Rucker and Eric Warfield both got sacks. It was absolutely ridiculous.

Ole McBride, when you went empty against him, he would just line em up press bump and run all the way across, step 2 extra guys in gaps so there were more blitzers than blockers and just get after it. man I wish we could still play like that. You might give up a long play or two throughout a game, which Charlies defense usually did, but the psychological effects on the qb were priceless-getting pounded on play after play, and teams didnt pick us apart for 4-500 yards/night either.

I agree, but I think the game has changed too. Even if you get one free of blockers, these mobile QBs can buy enough time to torch man coverage or take off on their own.

It was great to watch!