Nebraska regrets leaving Big 12?

Logistics wise, leaving was a no-brainer. The Big Ten is where Nebraska belongs and where we have secured a very bright future.

Football-wise, yeah, it'd be nice to be in the Big 12 right now with Oklahoma and Texas finally having some down years. Texas a lot more so than Oklahoma.

Maybe.

Football-wise, we're definitely better off in the Big 12, and not just because the Big 12 is down. We had a perfect setup for football success in the Big 12. Close road games, Texas recruits, and in the long run arguably more money because the Big Ten does an even split, whereas we had a larger chunk in the Big 12.

I can see the culture thing, but from my experience our culture more closely matches that of Kansas, Missouri, Oklahoma, Iowa than it does Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania.

Stability-wise, of course, the Big Ten is much better.

I've been adamant that I preferred the Big 12 since all of this began. Still am.

We've only had two years of results from the Big 10. Very small sample size compared to 15 years in the Big XII.

The Big XII, as of 2011, splits revenue equally. There are not "larger chunks" like we had. That was an unsustainable model, and could only lead to dissolution - which, coincidentally, it did.

The Big XII is and always was Texas' show. When Texas A&M is willing to leave 100 years of history with Texas, two schools so closely associated their fight songs mention each other, you know something is very wrong. And it was, and still is. The Big XII is a mess, barely held together, and features disparate schools with disparate philosophies and cultures. This isn't a happy melting pot, it's the gnarly old chunk of mixed crayon pieces you could never make a rainbow with.

I don't see a good culture match with anyone in the Big XII aside from Oklahoma. Land-Grant school known more for football than academics, passionate salt-of-the-earth fan bases, blue-bloods of the college football world. There was no such similarity with Missouri, Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa State, etc. Texas is the next-closest thing, but they're the succubus of college athletics, in no way culturally akin to Nebraska.

It's not a perfect fit in the Big Ten. But it's a far better fit than the Big XII, a shotgun-marriage conference from the very beginning. The Big Ten resembles the Big 8 more than any other conference I know, and that's the conference in which Nebraska became Nebraska. We're in an environment we belong in here. It's just fine.

• Fire 1

Really my issue was with sacrificing a fair bit of football equity for some added stability. Remember too, that if Nebraska stays, the Big 12 looks a lot different than it does today. If we never started the GOR discussions, Colorado maaaybe stays. Missouri and A&M definitely stay. TCU probably joins. I do think that the stability doesn't affect Nebraska as much as it would, say, Kansas. We are a powerhouse school and if things got bad, we would certainly find a good home; likely in the Big Ten regardless. I would have taken my chances; our program was in no danger of ever collapsing or being banished to the WAC or something like that.

I know why the decision was made, and from a conservative administrative point of view it was a slam dunk. From a fan point of view, throwing out a ton of championship equity is definitely frustrating.

Colorado doesn't stay. They've been flirting with the Pac-10 for decades - about as long as Missouri has been flirting with the Big 10. Missouri always had one foot out the door.

How well do you remember the Big 8? The Big 10 is just about the same feel. It's like putting on that favorite shirt from high school you just found in your closet after 15 years.

How well do you remember the Big 8? The Big 10 is just about the same feel. It's like putting on that favorite shirt from high school you just found in your closet after 15 years.

Not well. The last time the Big 8 existed I was 6 or 7 years old.

If they awarded Pulitzer's for being f*ckbutt ugly, he'd have a 100 of them...

And if they awarded Nobel Prizes for being short, he would be undefeated

• Fire 1

I think any Husker fan that legitimately misses the Big 12 has short-term memory loss. I don't even miss the old rivalries as much as I thought I would. Furthermore, I fully believe we would have had our asses handed to us by not only Oklahoma, but also Oklahoma State and Kansas State. Can you imagine how bad this board would have been when KState inevitably took us to the shed?

That conference is a mess and our inability to accomplish anything really meaningful in football doesn't mean a lot to me. We didn't accomplish anything meaningful in the Big 12, either.

Furthermore, I'm excited for what being in the B1G means for basketball. The B1G is a better basketball conference right now and it's about time Nebraska got more serious about it's basketball program, which I think Eichorst will help to accomplish.

If programs/universities had personalities, the other B1G schools would be our kind people.... Our priorities are similar too other members, and after leaving the corrupt Big 12, our fanbase should appreciate even more the brotherhood that is very real amongst the B1G schools.... There are clear rivalries, but there is also a togetherness when the greater good of collegiate athletics is at question. I appreciate the B1G, and my only regret as a fan, is that Nebraska didn't join them a long time ago....

I think the only things husker fans miss about the big 12 is that 1. It was familiar to us, and 2. The games were closer to a big group of husker fans. Like myself, before I could go to Lawrence, or Manhattan on any given year and the watch the huskers and now the closest game on an average year for me will be in Lincoln, which is at least 5 and 1/2 hours away. And with the price of gas, hotel,tickets,and of course food and drinks its an expensive trip for a poor boy like me

I think any Husker fan that legitimately misses the Big 12 has short-term memory loss. I don't even miss the old rivalries as much as I thought I would. Furthermore, I fully believe we would have had our asses handed to us by not only Oklahoma, but also Oklahoma State and Kansas State. Can you imagine how bad this board would have been when KState inevitably took us to the shed?

That conference is a mess and our inability to accomplish anything really meaningful in football doesn't mean a lot to me. We didn't accomplish anything meaningful in the Big 12, either.

Furthermore, I'm excited for what being in the B1G means for basketball. The B1G is a better basketball conference right now and it's about time Nebraska got more serious about it's basketball program, which I think Eichorst will help to accomplish.

<_<